OPEN OPINIONS on our Draft....have at it

Bob Quinn and Matt Patricia not only left behind a bad, relatively talentless defense; they left behind a soft defense.

That clearly was the quick conclusion of Holmes and Campbell.

3 Likes

yeah all Patricia & Quinn built was an island of misfit toys here for our new staff to fix.

2 Likes

Very good draft! Exceeded all expectations.

Some interesting notes I’ll put together later like the fact that they took a lot of Pac-12 players and why I love that.

1 Like

Obviously I wanted other players than were picked in some of the middle rounds.

BUT

We did not reach for one pick. In fact, got a lot of great value out of a lot of picks. Very strong draft

If they skip WR in this draft and draft one next year they will be disappointed.

With the signings of Chaz Surratt and that Calvin clone from Arkansas State, along with Amon-Ra, I’d say the Lions did some business at WR this weekend.

2 Likes

My thought is we never would have gone DT in the second if we thought we would have the value DT in the third. Maybe a miscalculation there.

The reality is this isn’t a one year process. We are going to suck. We just needed to get good pieces. Anywhere. Basically this draft should have been just value anywhere. Hopefully we got it. If either of those DT’s pop it will have a much larger impact on the success of our DEs.

Someone on the radio made the observation that quite a few teams favored schools in their immediate area or particular schools (like Belichick with Alabama and his Saban connection, then he doubled up on Oklahoma players). Carolina came out the gates with a kid that played right down the road and then followed it up with a kid that played under their OC before he went pro.

1 Like

first round LB? I expect us to be hotnafter edge rushers and WRs provided there is value there.

1 Like

I think if the Lions traded up to 4 for Chase, my opinion of this draft would be much less favorable. The Lions also tried to trade up for Levi and he was still there. And they did trade up for Barnes. I would prefer if they weren’t so eager to trade up. Rookie GM jitters maybe?

Exactly, Kayvon Thibodeaux or someone of his caliber…

2 Likes

I mean that would be ideal. Short of injury that guy is a guaranteed double digit sack guy year in, year out.

1 Like

Like the first pick.
Completely love the 3rd rounds picks.
Love the St Brown pick.
The Levi pick has me concerned though. And it has nothing to do with the player.
Remember when Quinn drafted Tabor? He said almost he same things Holmes said about Levi. “We had a first round grade on him.” “We’re very excited we had a chance to draft him”
“We thought about trading up to nab him”
Why did you have to say those things Holmes? Deja vu.

Pros: I think we got good value across the board. I can see every pick making the team and contributing immediately. I think our defense just entered the realm of competency. I’d bet we’re still a losing team this year, but the teams that beat us are going to be sore as hell the next day after going through our D. Adding Sewell to an oline with Decker and Ragnow should result in a top tier unit. I wanted a sexier 1st rounder like Lance or Chase (who obviously weren’t options), but even if they were available, Sewell was still probably the correct choice. Didn’t think there was any chance he’d be there at 7, but I’m stoked he was.

Cons: Nothing sexy about the picks. I hoped we would draft at least one game-breaking offensive weapon. Someone who can burn every player on the field, similar to a Tyreek or Diggs, or a yac monster like Tate. I like some things about Williams, Perriman, and St. Brown, but I’m not confident any of them can be that guy. Should be an unexciting year for our offense, with Swift and Hock as our feature playmakers. And though I love Sewell and think we made the right move at 7, I can’t help but hate the fact that we allowed Chicago to land Fields.

No the Tabor signing had a major red flag from the get go. I mean dismissing that 40 time was draft negligence on Quinn’s part especially for a CB.

Levi is a legit top 40-45 pick with upside IMO. Plays nasty and gets into the backfield regularly. What kept him out of the first was the low sack total, but I think his sack total will increase in the pros.

Exactly. Not a single bald dude!

5 Likes

Watched more tape on him. Love Levi, he is gonna be nasty.

1 Like

I think we have drafted and used FA to compete. I don’t think it will bring about a huge amount of wins next year but we are going to play hard and fast and I’d say the majority of teams that beat us will have to earn it. As opposed to the inevitable second half capitulations we witnessed under the last regime.

If Goff can find his stride and play like a top 15 to top 10 QB then we may well get meaningful games in December. If not then it will be something akin to the Panthers season last year with a handful of wins and a lot of gutsy performances with young players given an opportunity to live and die on the field behaviour

2 Likes

Ehhh. I guess. Watching Tabor in college, he was sexy. An injury “could’ve” explained the slow time.
Joe Haden and Rick Sherman ran a high 4.5.
But regardless, it was a shit pick… who our GM then said oddly similar things about, as our current GM said about his 2nd round pick.

True, but man I mean you saw Tabor play. He was just recognizably s…l…o…w here. I mean he moved like a 4.62 CB. I think everyone was hoping for a Sherman type or that that 40 time was a fluke, but yeah it just wasn’t a very good pick.