Orlovsky: Lions could target Stafford heir in 2nd round

Yes, exactly, that’s why all of the Stafford trade talk before year three is kinda silly, IMO.

I said at the time of the contract that we were stuck with him for 3. Then he’s either a good trade (trade partner gets him for like $20M/yr for 3 years) and we get huge cap relief.

The key is to find a rookie, now, that can play.

At this point, I think we take QB in the 2nd or 3rd to groom for 2020 or backup, depending on how Stafford responds. There’s also the need to mitigate for injury. Stafford’s been pretty lucky since 2010…

1 Like

I know I’m pretty much alone in this, but, I like Conor Cook.
I also know that I’m repeating myself.:smile:
The funny thing is, Gruden liked him coming out of college?

2 Likes

OK, pony up, we are in a crap draft for QB’s and you have been banging the table for one so we can, lol, trade Stafford. Pray tell, who would this be? Pony up, who should we get and why. If we are going to use a valuable resource on a guy when we really need starters at other positions, who would this guy be?

1 Like

I wouldn’t be surprised of they took Lock if he’s still there. Though I doubt he falls past Denver

With real needs at RG*, CB, DE, and LB, that would piss me off!

I would be pissed if they draft Lock or any other QB on Day 2. In Lock’s case, it’s probably true that he’s not going to be there at 43, but God Almighty, how does anyone not see the obvious needs elsewhere that are far greater than at QB? The Lions do not need a QB4 this year, sitting behind Stafford, Savage, and Cook, it’s just insanely stupid. I know the anti-Stafford crowd can’t wait to get rid of him, but beware of getting what you ask for. The Lions went for decades looking for a good QB before Stafford came along, he might not be Brady, Rodgers, or Brees but the guy ain’t that bad.

1 Like

That will never happen. It would not make sense with what we have brought in, and combined with what we need.

1 Like

I would be shocked if we were to pick Lock @43. If we want a QB to groom as Staffords replacement, next years class looks to be a lot better than this years. In fact, i wont be surprised at all if Quinn moves UP a few spots from 43 to grab a guy they really like at OL, WR, or less likely, CB. Risner, AJ Brown, or L. Johnson/Murphy/Ya-Sin/Layne.

I’d be disappointed if we moved up. That has almost never worked out for us in the past and means we are giving up a pick at some point

1 Like

So would I. If anything, I’d move down from 43 if I could get another pick in the 3rd or 4th, depends on who’s there at 43. Maybe throw in a 6th or 7th to make the deal work if necessary.

In his press conference last night, Quinn responded to a question about trading up in the second round if there is a guy they have targeted and aren’t sure if he drops to them at 43.

He said that it is a possibility, but they would know more after they reset their board this morning and discuss their strategy.

Doesn’t mean it will happen, but don’t be surprised if it does.

Starters?

You draft for the future.

Period.

Whoever the coaches thinks might become a good QB in the system. I don’t have the access they do so don’t dump it on me.

Someone who is a better prospect than Connor Cook.

You could add quite a few more QBs to that list and a lot of them tons cheaper.

Stafford is vastly overpaid for what he brings.

15.7% of the cap is too much for a 2nd tier dude.

The cost prevents you from building he necessary supporting cast.

Maybe your love for him blinds you to this?

Besides, they’ve already demonstrated they don’t give a f- about value by taking Hock.

Maybe your hate blinds you to the possibility that one bad year doesn’t make him a bad QB. Good QBs do not grow on trees, for every good one you find there are a whole bunch of bad ones that weren’t up to the job, and some of them went in the 1st round of the draft. Do you realize how many years this franchise has gone with poor to mediocre QBs? Yes, he’s expensive, but good ones are expensive and most of them are only as good as their supporting cast. Do you think Garoppolo, Cousins, and Roethlisberger are better than Stafford? They make more than he does per year. I won’t be long before Stafford won’t even be in the top 10 of QB salaries.

I think Cousins and Rapelessburger are better. Jeanine might be. He needs to play an injury free year or two to see

Just one?

Maybe your love makes you forget the ultimate choke job in 2013. The one that lost us 4 in a row to cap a 7-5 start., remember? That pick 6 to the Giants who were totally contained by the defense since the second drive?

I’d rather pay less for mediocre play than 15.7% of the cap for mediocre play. 15.7% of the cap is more of a percentage of the cap than ANY QB in the league in 2018. Go look. I’ll eat my words if you can find one that takes a higher percentage of the cap this year. Otherwise, spare me the “he will be making less than top 10” bullcrap. Yeah, in 2022 he’ll be reasonbly priced. But you better factor in all the playoff games we still haven’t won because he hogs up the cap and can’t raise the level of the players we give him.

One bad year?

Dude has NEVER been consistent. His passes have one speed - Rocket. I can’t even remember a whole game where he put it together. 2 quarters great, 2 quarters so so or worse is not the hall mark of a good QB.

His placement STILL stinks and his decision making is questionable. I think he misses a LOT on the field. Lots of yards, but lots of attempts.

Turns out that Orlovsky didn’t really know any more than the average fan…

2 Likes

He knows players here, but, he doesn’t know any of the coaches. Quin was here one year while he was here, but, he’s not getting inside info from him!

1 Like