Other teams think Slay will be traded. Lions taking calls

One thing to consider, mandate or no, the organization Quinn was raised in, made a living at letting high cost impact players go to reload and avoid paying insane prices. This so they could spread the wealth so to speak. We do have Coleman who IMO is much better as everyone is with a pass rush. We do have AO who looked like a guy who can play some ball. We can add a second tier FA, TD for Okudah and throw that pick you get for Slay at another CB high up. Agnew is still hanging around. More money to spend. So this deal would not surprise me one bit and honestly I’ll be more surprised if Slay is a Lion come September.

1 Like

Speaking of not paying insane prices…This is the same guy who paid Flowers 90M. NE didn’t.

2 Likes

Well, there’s that, and how much to Jesse James and Coleman?

Quinn has paid sticker price for outside free agents in 4 years more than the Patriots have in 20.

When the Pats sign players like Justin Coleman, TJ Lang, Jesse James and Trey Flowers they get discounts or they don’t sign them.

1 Like

That happens when you have a winning franchise.

If you have players whose only goal is to win a SB, then you have players who will willingly take less money to play for the premier organization the last 20 years. But guess what, 98% of the league is only interested in how much money they can make and most want a SB but will take millions more in salary (just like Slay).

1 Like

Can’t overpay for everyone in win now mode, either. He wants a contract that will be expensive to get out of if his play continues to fall off.

Oh you mean signed FA’s, which has zip to do with keeping your own players who go from low cost to a high cost market. NE does spend money on FA’s. They have generally gotten a bit of a discount being a SB contending destination, but I was talking about Seymour’s, Jones’, Wilfork, etc. So it would not be shocking to me to see Quinn do the same with Slay. This is not about overpaying FA’s from other teams.

That’s true to an extent, but we are the Lions and not the Patriots. So yes we will have to pay more than the Pats do for highly sought after players. As to us paying sticker, well that is mostly speculation. There is the contingent that is convinced we ONLY got a Mike Daniels or Trey Flowers because we “vastly” overpaid. But of course there is zero ways to validate that belief. I assume we pay more than a NE or a lovely destination city. But I doubt we pay way more than Cleveland or Cincy does if at all.

LOL, no, you were talking about not signing people to “insane contracts” and letting them go. We replied that how did Quinn learn anything if the same players being let go were the one’s we were signing, and some others that we over paid. When you say that it wouldn’t be shocking for Quinn to do the same thing with Slay what are you saying, are you saying that we should let him go?

Apparently KC would like to trade for Slay and are mulling it over. I saw this on a KC site. I think they only have 7M of cap space and will need to create some more room.

1 Like

I’d offer him 15 mil a year and if he declines then let him know we plan to let him play out his contract and then possibly tag and trade him next offseason.

Tell him he’s in a prove it year or take the 15 mil. His choice.

Okay so the point still remains its pointless to compare what Bob Quinn did in New England because he’s not in New England. So that has no bearing on how Slay will be treated one way or another.

LOL, all you have to do is scroll up a bit to find:

One thing to consider, mandate or no, the organization Quinn was raised in, made a living at letting high cost impact players go to reload and avoid paying insane prices.

IE: You cannot LET GO of a player you DON’T ALREADY HAVE. Duh.

I said it wouldn’t surprise me if Quinn did. Personally speaking, IF we got a late first round pick for him, AND we made good picks and FA decisions around that (I accept that is a big IF) then I could find that workable. We could TD/TU and get a late 1 for Slay. That would literally give us extra FA dollars and a 1a, 1b, 1c, 2 and 3. If you do good work with that, then shedding Slay would not be a big loss IMHO.

Is it fair to point out all the NE players Quinn has brought in? Or FO staff? Or HC, or scheme? He’s not in NE, but what I said absolutely has bearing. It’s what he knows and has seen as a path to championships. So it would not surprise me, is all I’m saying. Maybe MORE likely than if it was just another GM. To say what he was embedded in over the past 15 YEARS before he came here has “no bearing” is a pretty hard line stance and I’d say sort of ridiculous actually. There is quite a bit of evidence of the Patriot way based on him bringing it here. I’m not saying “he WILL,” I’m saying it’s something to CONSIDER based on what the only team he knows outside of a one year stint at UCONN, did a lot of.

1 Like

LOL, so he made a living at one place letting them go and made a living at another place signing the same people and you don’t get it. Duh…LOL.

It wouldn’t surprise anyone. What would surprise me if he gets it right either way it goes. No one is giving us a first for Slay. We don’t need extra FA dollars we need impact players.

My gosh man. They did sign FA’s in New England! Expensive ones too. What they DIDN’T do, is pay big money to big name players on their own team, that were GOING to start to decline soon. You know, like Slay. Like Ansah. They were buy low, sell high, collected extra draft picks and reloaded. I bet as we go we will see similar things with Quinn and if Slay gets traded that will further pad this belief. Not saying it will, just saying it might and there are reasons why. Quinn’s background is a factor.

1 Like

Great. Fair points. You say no one is giving us a 1 for Slay. No way you can know that. Quinn tried at the deadline to shop him but wasn’t going to take peanuts with him under contract. Well played. Teams know this. He is a PB corner and can take a #1 WR at a pretty high level in man to man. They don’t grow on trees and though he isn’t young, there are teams who are a player or two away and have a ton of cap to spend. I wouldn’t be mad if we resigned the guy. I think he’s a good player. But I think he could absolutely be replaced by Okudah. If you get that done and have a metric shit ton of resources, then it gets easier to get things right. Not all picks are Tavai’s.

1 Like