Other teams think Slay will be traded. Lions taking calls

IMO, this wold NEVER transpire if Skins want Young from the start.

Why even consider it as a possibility? If Skins are willing to trade the pick, then they never had their eyes set on Young as their 1a from the start!! And if that’s the case why would anyone ever trade to move up one spot if they knew this?

It’s not a logical topic to even discuss.

2 Likes

No. What is comedy gold is winning one playoff game since 1957 in a league designed for parity.

I don’t see any urgency right now with Slay. We can wait to see what happens in FA and IF we get a couple guys we want then he becomes more expendable. The problem is other teams may go get a CB and no longer need Slay, but that doesn’t hurt us especially with negotiations. OR they don’t get a CB and REALLY WANT Slay. WE get offered a better pick.

IF he wants a new deal as part of the trade, give his agent permission to talk to other teams and to put the deal together. he can bring it to the Lions along with the suggested draft pick/s. Slay might find at his age that his vision of a big payday 17M just isn’t there no matter what his agent may be saying. We would have the opportunity to offer the same deal or take the trade. Put HIS AGENT on the hot seat.

Well of course, if the Skins want Young it might require a trade the Lions would not be willing to make. Chase Young is easily the best non-QB prospect in the draft. And the Skins do have somewhat of a need at DE with Kerrigan getting older, but they have invested heavily in their DL in recent years and would have a glut of expensive players there when their second contracts start coming around. They have big need at CB, and is Haskins really the answer or do they like one of the QBs in this draft. The Skins have some major decisions to make and to me there’s no guarantee they are going to choose Young over their other options. They may well. And Cincy might even draft Young. It’s all unknown. But if the Lions see Young as the player they want at the top of the draft, they should be prepared to go and get him. After all, they are just 1-2 spots away from landing him. The good Lord hates a coward, as a poker friend of mine likes to say.

If let Slay go and draft Okudah at #3, I am officially done. It makes zero sense and so Lion like its scary. I’ll join the likes of Iggy, only to rip this franchise apart.

Have a feeling it’s someone we’re not expecting.

The Lions cant afford to trade away one of the only pro bowl players they have on the roster. This team is already lacking in talent and i just don’t see how this makes them better? Pay the man.

To me it’s about contract duration rather than the amount.

Heck, I’d go as high as 19m but only for his next two seasons. By ‘22 he’s a 31 y/o CB and his play is likely to fall off a cliff at any moment.

I really don’t see the contract as a big hurdle. 17 mil isn’t a big deal. They can get this done with an out after 2 years.

I’m wondering how much of this is more smoke. In the last week we’ve been rumored to be moving on from our 2 best players.

If that’s true and we can just rip up this year of his deal and give him essentially a big fully guaranteed two year deal with window dressing to make it look longer than we should do it.

If he’s looking for 4 for 64m or whatever then I’m not interested.

One option still on the table is to let Slay play out his final year on the contract and then franchise him next season. Slay will object but will he really sit out the entire season? I doubt it.

That’s the team’s bad-ass nuclear option, but I doubt they will go in that direction.

1 Like

We can do both. 32-34 mil guaranteed, which increases this year only a couple mil. 64-68 mil for the whole contract. If his play holds up, keep him. If it declines, cut him after 2021 season.

This is too easy. No reason for it to not get done.

It hasn’t been “designed for parity” for that long. Like way back when we had to pay CJ, Stafford and Suh on pre-CBA contracts. Was that 57 or 5 years ago?

It is all about guaranteed money. NOTHING else really matters. NFL contracts themselves are not guaranteed.

We could offer a 5 year deal worth 100M. Sounds good but means nothing if we only guarantee 15M (not likely he takes it). WE could cut him and owe him nothing after a year. If he gets injured he gets nothing more than the 15M.

Slay would most likely sign any deal that offers 30-34M guaranteed. There are many ways to structure it so he is compensated fairly this year and next and the Lions having the ability to dump him in 2 years with no major cap hit or let him play on if he is still playing at a high level.

He is scheduled to make 10.5M this year. The Franchise TAG will be about 17M next year and we can tag him again the year after if we want to play hardball. The cost would be 120% of 17M or 20.4M. (current rules say you can do it 3 times). IF we add that up 10.5+17+20.4=47.9M. divide by 3 = 15.97M average while he is 29, 30 and 31. Not sure what his play will be like after that. Both he and his agent know father time is undefeated. It is likely he could get some type deal, but probably only a 1yr. deal like Suh and McCoy have done the last few years with not much guaranteed.

So offer him a 3 year extension (add years 2021,2022 and 2023) Give him a 10M signing bonus with 30M guaranteed. The 10M goes in his pocket right now and we spread it out over 4 years at 2.5M for cap purposes. Cut his his base to 6M for 2020. Make his base 14M in 2021. after 2 years he has 10M+6M+14M in his pocket so we paid him 30M for 2. FAIR by NFL standards. Make his base 18M year 2022 and 19M 2023. his contract is now 4 for 67M. close to the 17M he is reportedly asking, but really only cost us 30M for 2 if we want to cut bait after that. (5M dead money). If he still has it in 2022 add 18M which puts us at 48M for 3 or 16M per year. The going rate.

IT DOESN’T SEEM THAT HARD TO GET A DEAL DONE. you could make the signing bonus 12M which wouldn’t change much and the he averages 16M for the next 2. Or increase his suggested base by 2M this year making it 8M plus his prorated SB puts us right where we are cap wise.

No, what is comedy gold is you being a fan of a franchise that ain’t “real”

What gets me is the thread lengths over … nothing :crazy_face:

Lions have to be asking for a first round pick or multiple picks…

There is something new and quite noteworthy in Schefter’s tweet. He states that the team acquiring Slay will need to compensate him with a new contract as implied terms of trading for him. That is significant on a couple of levels.

First, it takes away the risk from a team trading for Slay that he’s just a one-year rental. Slay’s contract is up at the end of the 2020 season, and he eagerly seeks more money. That’s why the Lions would have interest in trading him — they know what he wants and don’t intend to give it to him, so they would get something in return.

Slay’s camp mandating that a new deal by the new team is part of the trade actually helps the Lions. They can boldly ask for more in return because the new team has insurance that Slay will be there long-term.

Second, the more public acknowledgment of the Lions actively listening to calls (again, this is not anything new or profound) ramps up any potential market. If a team really covets Slay and is willing to meet his lofty contract demands, the pressure to get it done before anyone else does just escalated. That helps the Lions maximize the return on any trade involving Slay.

We don’t know what the exact desired compensation is for either Slay’s contract demands or the Lions’ trade demands. We just know now that the rest of the NFL world is more acutely aware of the possibility that Slay will not be in Detroit in 2020.

1 Like

We’re the Seinfeld generation.

Said that like 50 posts ago. This is exact route I would take after he was on twitter saying 4/64 wouldn’t get it done.

Get his best years and let him test market after that.

Only scenario I am okay with trading him is if we get good picks and go and spend that cap money on a Good pass rusher or #1 cb.

Haven’t looked at Fa pool yet though

If anyone has already said this…then I agree with you!

This in some ways is not Cliff Avril all over again. BUT…the Lions have options. IF the Lions want to keep Slay but simply see his value a bit lower than Slay does fine, go seek a trade partner Slay. If you can get the $ you want and that team gives us a draft pick you are free to go.

BUT…if a team isn’t willing to make Slay happy and he doesn’t get an offer he likes maybe he still signs a deal here once he better understands his market?

All I know is I would like Slay back. BUT…if we have to trade him so be it. AND there are in fact some solid free agent options out there in 2020. We can in fact live without Slay if we have to and still be good IF improvements are made in other areas.

I want Slay back but if another team values him more than us and will give us a 1st or 2nd rd. pick for him then I get it. I still think Slay is back though.