Other teams think Slay will be traded. Lions taking calls

Well, Undlin does have a connection to Patricia, so it probably has little to do with scheme per se, unless it does lol. But Flowers would be a fine LDE paired with Young on the other side. So Harrison walks and you don’t need a pure NT anymore. I know I’m dreaming, but I just want a pass rush that gets home in the worst way.

And as far as being multiple on defense, you could flip Young and Flowers at times, and I’m not sold that you couldn’t play Young off the ball standing up either, giving him the chance to rush or cover the flat, run with a TE/H-back, or even spy a running QB.

1 Like

It would be nice , but really if they are willing to go this route, you just pay him and extend him and make him happy …he counts for $13 mill on our cap this year , a tag is going to net him almost $17 million that’s $30 Million for 2 …Offer him a 4 year deal at $64 Million , $34 mill in Guarantees with an out after year 3 and get the best player he can be out of him instead of a guy that is going to bitch and skip camps .

1 Like

Not sure if this was updated yet

Denver wanted him bad last year , I would take and pay S Justin Simmons in a deal that landed at least a third as well …Would they part with Simmons as he said he does not want to play on the Tag , I would rather spend the money on a 25 year old in Simmons .

1 Like

But what can you do if he won’t play for us unless we make him the highest paid CB in the league? Screw that. Better to move on a year too early than a year too late.

The problem is what if he wants more than $17 million? I do like the sign and trade scenario as pointed out on the article for a couple of reasons. First, as they pointed out, the higher the price the more compensation the Lions should receive. Second, we free up cap space early and the earlier the better. This year blows for CB’s IMO in the draft after Okudah. Ideally we would keep Slay on a contract we all can live with. If not, move on and get a plan in place quickly. I HATE the idea of getting another FA CB and I’m not as high on Oruwariye as you seem to be. Ball hawk, sure, but the completion percentage against him was really high I believe. The best thing we have with him is that he DID get some PT last season and if Slay is gone they won’t be throwing at him full time.

I wouldn’t trade him unless I got at least an early second. He’s too good to just give away.

Wanting it and getting it are two different worlds …Slay is a 3rd contract guy at 29 , he is not getting $17 per on a long term deal, not in real money anyway …The market is going to have him avg $15 …if he was 2 years younger … You give it to him …he’s not. I think the demand of a new contract in a trade is to show Slay his worth and what he can get and then offer him the money to stay …We will see.

2 Likes

That’s what I ment if u have to trade him, then you can’t think a rookie Okaduh can replace him. If you want Okaduh to play next to him fine or sign someone of slays level to play with Okaduh is fine. But to just to replace Slay with Okaduh gets u no we’re.

How about if we can’t sign Slay we go an sign Byron Jones … James Bradberry… likely both less than what Slay wants an both are younger. Then you add a Draft Pick an maybe a one year show me like Darby I am not keen on CB’s over 30 being signed yes few work out many don’t.

If they are set on trading Slay then sign a top tier CB for sure in FA gave a couple examples. Young is factor an playing ability. Then u add a draft pick maybe Okaduh

Just like the draft, it only takes 1 team to buy in.

Just trade Slay and Stafford, acquire a bunch of draft picks and aim for 2025 to be our year.

2 Likes

Bob Quinn is in a tough spot. Slay was a locker room shit disturber after his buddy was traded. He threatened to hold out before the season started and will likely hold out if he doesn’t get an extension. Quinn knows this.

Slay is also taking to social media and demanding to be the highest paid CB in the league and he is nowhere close to being the best corner in football. He is the one forcing the issue in my opinion.

If the Lions don’t pick up a starting CB in free agency the entire NFL will know they HAVE to draft Okudah. That kinda takes away any leverage in trade down scenarios. The only way they’ll get him is by trading down to #5 with Miami. Miami may call their bluff and stay at #5. This whole Slay shit show is a disaster for the team. They will forever be trying to fill key positions on the team and never get ahead of the curve.

The free agent CB’s also know that the Lions are desperate for a starting CB. They’ll be looking to leverage their situation to the MAX. Detroit has to overpay most players simply because of their shitty reputation as an organization & city. Quinn may be forced to pay a lesser player than Slay similar dollars to what he earned this year.

1 Like

I agree and if that team exists getting a pick from them should be easy enough .

Exactly.

There isn’t a single suggestion of any sort of compensation in this entire thread that would make us a better team in 2020.

If all we do is continue to play the long game, it is just as GreggyJ stated, we will continue to spin our wheels.

Whack a mole at it’s finest.

2 Likes

I beg to differ amigo. If Slay gives us draft collateral that enables us to trade up for Chase Young, we’re way better. We’ve now got a player that makes opposing QBs keep their heads on a swivel and have to count steamboats every time they drop back.

Anyone that thinks having more draft pics is better then having a top player with the way we pic. This thinking is why we are the Lions

With shitty corners you just chip Chase and throw shorts passes like every team did when the defensive line was good.

Lol, This is comedy gold!

2 Likes

Anyone thinking you won’t get a “top player” with a top 5 pick (which is what I’m advocating) has just fallen so in love with a player that they aren’t thinking clearly. With the logic of we’ll always pick bad players, we’re the Lions, so we’ll suck no matter what and Chase Young would be one of the Same Ol’ Lions by year 2.

1 Like