Our Backup QBs are terrible

Sorry…our Backups are horrid.

Blough has to make a “max effort” throw to make a pass to the sideline.

Boyle is pure trash.

This is the worry with this staff and FO.

“Buy-in” guys take precedance over talent.

Long-term that wont work. Shorter term- once the expectations and culture is set…it will work.

This tells me fans’ hopes are too high for this season, becuase there is no way a good team rolls with Boyle and Blough as backups if they expect to compete for anything significant.

Sorry for the wake-up call.

But continue to read the Freep, Detnews, Mlive, and POD slappy writers.

EDIT: And the Hard Knocks show getting you all “rocked up”…

1 Like

what dumb and dumber ? like no way.

Now THIS I agree with. We’ve definitely under-invested here.

1 Like

The guy at my local gas station throws better

1 Like

Blough has moxy. That’s the best to be said.
Neither is Shaun Hill or Eric Kramer, that’s for sure.
At least, neither has stepped out the back of the end zone.

1 Like

Drunk Beach GIF

Well we can always get this guy.

2 Likes

Yes. Holmes made a mistake not drafting a developmental QB.

I saw someone post this the other day, and I agree with it.

If Goff doesn’t get hurt, that’s good. He has sufficient talent around him on offense to be fully evaluated as a player here. If he gets hurt, then you’re not competing for anythong anyway. Tank master Tim Boyle will lead us to the best draft pick possible, and we can use our good pick and the Rams pick to move up for Stroud or Young.

The backups are horrible, but maybe it’s on purpose. Next year we will probably go after a good backup QB.

2 Likes

Actually the media you reference has talked about the lack of a good backup on this team among other issues they have been referencing.

I guess we should be thankful to have you here to remind us of what we all know, whew…
Thank you for a dose of reality…

I think that our back-up QBs make sense. They’re not very good but that’s the point. If Goff gets injured the best any back-up is likely to do is to lose less badly than Boyle/Blough. And I’m not sure how it helps us much if the back-up does better than expected and wins a few games - as it only damages the draft position and makes us really unsure what to do moving forwards.

I don’t want to be in a situation like Pittsburgh with three QBs vying to be the starter - all of whom might be decent but none of whom are likely to be elite. It’s just makes evaluation really difficult and the entire situation confusing.

They way I interpret the situation is that they just want clarity and they want their guy to be 100 percent their guy. Goff is 100 percent their guy this year. If he fails - we’ll draft his replacement who will become 100 percent the new guy. Everyone knows where they stand and what the plan is.

1 Like

nah we had Patricia…

I doubt you’re going to get someone better than Sam Howell in the 5th. That was an absolute steal. I was begging them to draft a QB.

I get what happened, the 2021 QB class was super overrated and everyone is down on QBs. But that’s when the smart investor buys, when the market overreacts. We missed a golden opportunity.

2 Likes

Our Backup QBs are terrible

Says 90% of the fan base for every team in the NFL.

2 Likes

I don’t really blame Holmes for not drafting a developmental quarterback yet. He’s needed every pick we have to make over one of the worst rosters in the nfl. And none of the quarterbacks in this last draft were worth drafting in the late rounds. They weren’t going to be better than what we have. Next year is a different story though. We absolutely need to pick up a quarterback next year.

2 Likes

I already find next years QB class overrated. I mean I like the Alabama QBs skills, but he’s really too small. And the OSU QB just reminds too much of the other OSU system QBs, even if he’s a little more accurate than the rest of them, but he’s also less athletic.

That’s why I’m keeping an eye on the kids from Florida, Kentucky, Stanford and Oregon st. Hopefully we don’t need a quarterback and Goff goes back to his pro bowl form. If we do though I think we could grab one of those quarterbacks without trading up. At the very least we’d upgrade our backup quarterback situation.

THIS!

We definitely need a QB even if Goff fails this year. It’s not like you’re going to keep him as a backup at his price. If he fails, we need 2 QBs. I get there are other QBs in next years draft, but damn Sam Howell in 5. I really like Sam Howell. You generally get complete sh*t in round 5. Like Jordan Love type of stuff.

How does this make any sense?

He is better at making reads and going through progressions than Fields, Haskins, Barrett, Jones, Miller, Pryor, and Smith. He has better anticipation than all of them too. He’s a totally different player from the mental aspect of the game. He’s not unathletic either.

If he improves his decision making, he becomes a legit 1OA prospect.

I personally like Young more right now, but comparing Stroud to the others before him is very lazy IMO.

1 Like

Just my opinion on him. I tried to say he was better than the others, at least at throwing the ball, he’s very accurate. I wouldn’t feel comfortable at all taking him with the top pick in the draft. But that’s me. I’m sure you watch him more than I do. I’m not an OSU fan.