OUR LATEST SURPRISE @2OA

McVay’s new QB wasn’t the answer here. So maybe he made a bad decision? Should he go get a different guy?

In my defence…I did say film, not stats…

The problem comes when you have glaring needs for legit starters in several other areas instead of someone to be a backup for a year or two, hoping they develop enough to become a starter.

ThenLions should be able to get legit starters from their top three picks as they currently sit. Edge, WR, LB, S, CB. Take your pick.

Didn’t he give Goff an extension. So if I asked Sean McVay what would he say about Goff?

Here’s an article about it.

So why did they move on then?

McVay had to move on from Goff because teams figured out that they just had to take away the play action and force Goff to throw under pressure. McVay and Goff didn’t have an answer for that.

Stafford however was #1 in the NFL under pressure and this forced teams to rethink their game plans.

He also had to move on because Goff needed some time to grow and get better but the Rams window was now. They didn’t have time to wait. Something the Lions can afford to do.

I think Goff is a lot like Brees. He needs a clean pocket to be successful. I think that’s why the Lions drafted Sewell. So it wouldn’t shock me if they look to improve our depth on the OL during the draft.

Goff has plenty of room to grow as well. He has to get better at playing under pressure. He has to think a little quicker on his feet. I still believe Goff can improve his game and if he does he could be a top shelf QB.

Personally I’m in no hurry to give up on him but I think the Lions should position themselves to be able to draft a QB next year just in case.

4 Likes

If we take Hamilton I’ll get behind it. He’s going to be an All Pro level player if healthy.

3 Likes

But… but… positional value!!!

Bugs Bunny Wtf GIF by Looney Tunes

1 Like

But I’m of the position that Both Aidan and KT are terrific so that’s where I lean. I think Kyle is a more rare level of safety prospect br I still think KT and Aidan likely grade as one of the top 10-15 edge prospects of the decade at the time of their respective drafts. That’s good enough for me. If there was a Myles Garret JAX would be picking him anyways.

2 Likes

I’m guessing that would include WalterFootball which mocked Drake London to the Lions at #2OA recently. Um…no!!

Here is the thing. It’s either DE or safety. Both are imperative for Glenn’s defense. We have serviceable Pass rush, we need MORE, but if we need TWO legit safeties on the field for this defense. So we either have to resign Walker and get another legit safety, Walker is like 1/2 legit. Or we need to draft one early. Hamilton would EXCEL in this defense. And this defense would be instantly better. It’s not that crazy if a pick at all. I’m not gonna sweat it. We will get what we need.

3 Likes

I would get behind it more than I would a TE in the top 10.

It’s a real thing that really should be considered when making a pick.

I’d never take a TE in the top of round one. Even late round one is a stretch in my opinion.

A true Safety I would not consider in the top 10 and top 5 is crazy high to take one. To take one that high he best be a future HofF type player. Or have value in other ways.

I love Hamilton. I think he’s a stud. But …but …but I wouldn’t take him at 2OA because I think it’s a tad high to be taking a safety and I like Hutch just as much. If not more.

I’m struggling with the pick at 2OA because I think he’s a difference maker and we need difference makers. I also don’t view Hamilton as a true safety either. I honestly think in the NFL he will play SS, Box Safety LBer type of role. He can cover so I like him in the deep middle defender role the most. A cover 3 team will covet him. He’s really good playing downfield and crashing the box. His instincts are impressive. He’s a smart headsy player.

However that tall lanky frame looks awkward and I’m not sure if like him outside playing man vs a quick receiver. So I don’t think a team will use him there. He’s better in traffic, playing in the middle of a defense.

So with all that in mind teams don’t spend high picks on strong safeties or box safeties. They just don’t do it. So if your going to do it then you better have a plan to make him more than that. So any team taking him that high will be doing a lot of sub packages, big nickel packages, using him as a MOD, a linebacker or planning to blitz with him to get that value. Your going to move him around to get the mismatches. Your going to need to be creative or your wasting that high pick. I just don’t think his skill set will fit every team. But but but…. I think he’s a fit for what we do and I think he’d be a stud here.

However I don’t think Holmes wants to spend high picks on Safeties…. So I’d be shocked if he did so.

I am really torn on Hamilton because I want him on the Lions but I think 2OA is too high.

1 Like

I really think we have a shot at Marcus Williams. If that is achieved then Hamilton is likely overkill.

2 Likes

That would be a heck of a pairing and those two would definitely compliment each other. Williams would be your deep safety and Hamilton would play the SS Hybrid role. But I agree if we signed Williams then I’d expect us to grab a complimentary SS type in the draft and this draft has a bunch of them to choose from.

However if we grabbed someone like Jordan Whitehead in free agency then it wouldn’t make much sense to grab someone like Hamilton.

I kinda like the idea of letting Walker walk. Signing Whitehead and drafting a FS like Daxton Hill.

2 Likes

I guess it comes down to how good you believe the top talent is. There is a case to be made that regardless of the draft year Hamilton is a top 10 pick. There has been talk that Aiden wouldn’t have been a top 10 pick say in last years draft. I think that matters. I really drafting a true difference maker, or someone who fills the need we have and is a top player for this crop of players? All the top options are viable. I like Tibs more then aiden. Hamilton is the best player in this draft and it’s not really close. I’m 100% okay with him at 2. If we were to get him at 2 and as people a lot smarter then me suggested use our next two picks at 32/34 on DE….we are sitting pretty on defense with the exception LB and DT. Right now before the draft and FA IMO the most pressing need to Safety in Ag’s defense. We need 2 studs back there. We need a WR (mid tier-not named JUJU), and we can fill out DE in the draft. My preference is Hamilton but I’ll be behind whoever the lions take. We need studs. We need ballers. Where we are at in the rebuild is we saw players talent fail last year despite coaching and effort on the players part. We need difference makers. Hamilton is that a little more then the rest.

2 Likes

Address the pass rush first. A strong pass rush can take pressure off of a secondary. If both can be addressed, great, but I’m improving the pass rush first.

But it’s ok if the DE isn’t a future HOF type player? Why would I take a lesser player to fit “positional value”?

Now if the DE is also HOF caliber, then I’d take the DE, but that isn’t the case this year IMO.

I’d take Hutch over Hamilton too, but we have to be really preparing for the scenario where Hutch goes 1. I think that’s probably how the FO is thinking about it right now. Hutch if he’s there, then ?.

Agreed. And I’m not drafting a safety to play outside corner, I’m drafting him to play safety. You may have some looks where he’s outside man to man, but that’s a rare occurance compared to his majority of snaps taken at safety.

Why should what other teams have done dictate what we do in a situation such as this? I don’t call it wasting a pick at all. If he is a top 2 player in this draft, and your best player is off the board, then you take him. I think it’s pretty simple.

While I also agree with this, he’s also never been in the position to get a player of Hamilton’s caliber, so we will see how he handles it differently.

It’s kind of hard for him to take a 1st round DB with the Rams when they never have 1st round picks in the 1st place.

3 Likes

Goff might not be “the answer” here in Detroit. Neither was the last guy. Thats why its silly to use McVay as a guide to what the Detroit Lions should do.

1 Like

Safety is no longer a less valuable position in the NFL. In terms of Wins Above Replacement, which is a good indicator for positional value, QB’s of course come in first, followed by CB at 2, Safety at 3, and WR at 4. It’s not a ground and pound league anymore. QB’s that can extend plays have made it ultra important to have a secondary that can cover. Based on our current roster a draft of:
1a- S Hamilton
1b- WR Pickens
2- S Cine
would be an analytics dream scenario.

Take Pitre 32 0r 34 th if there

1 Like

This is true but WAR is only a small part of the determining value factor, cost and draft capital flexibility are far more important.

The cost savings we’d get by going edge (or QB, CB, WR, OT) are more than the savings we’d get going safety, which directly affects the way we can build out the rest of the roster. It’s why having a good QB on a rookie contract is so valuable, it’s a huge bargain and rosters can be stacked.

And like RBs, good safeties can be found for far less draft capital than other players at more valuable positions. In fact virtually all of the league’s best safeties currently were drafted on day 2 or 3 (Simmons, Bates, Winfield, Mathieu, Byard, Poyer, Hyde, Holland, Hooker, Fuller, Jackson, Amos, Chinn, Marcus Williams, John Johnson, Whitehead, Baker, Diggs, shit the Rams pulled Weddle off the street). Derwin James is about the only good safety from the 1st. Minkah’s fine too, but not better than the guys in the above list.

I agree that Hamilton is a unicorn the likes of whom we haven’t seen for a long time, but Jamal Adams was considered to be a sure fire superstar - though probably not on the same tier as Hamilton as a prospect - and yet he’s been something of a catastrophe. He hardly plays safety anymore for the Seahawks. Everyone’s a risk, even guys like Hamilton.

1 Like

Correction: he’s been a catastrophe for the Seahawks.

He was one of the best safeties in the league for the Jets. So much so that he was traded for 2 1sts, a 3rd, and Bradley McDougald who was a decent safety. (Sound familiar?)

And I realky don’t care about the money aspect of it. Spending money doesn’t scare me, and when Hamilton is on all pro teams as a rookie, nobody is going to care what he makes.

What was the logic for taking Sewell when we had Decker and Ragnow already on the O line? BPA. If Hamilton is the BPA, take him. He’s more certain to be special than any other player in the draft IMO, like Sewell.

4 Likes