Our secondary is locked up, now who do we draft?

Is it?

1 Like

I think so, yeah. The NFL gets really turned off by guys like this. I’d be surprised but not totally shocked if the dropped into the 20s. At this point I’m almost certain he’ll last past six (though like you I’d take him, but really, really don’t think Brad will), which a month ago you’d definitely call a dive.

Agreed. I’m not that fussed about #18 - unless someone falls - I don’t really know what to do with the pick. I’d quite like Arizona’s #34 though - I think that’s a really valuable pick as it means we could get back into round 1 if necessary. We also have two round 3 picks for next year - and I’d consider folding one of those into the mix - whilst we’re speculating.

with all these roster holes filled, i’m leaning more towards grabbing the top WR.

yes Jamo is basically a rookie and we have ASB but if one of those guys gets hurt, our offense takes a big hit.

and while too many top WR might seem like overkill, just look at Cincinnati…Chase, Higgins, and Boyd. that offense is tough to stop

They might give us 34 in return if we coughed up one of next year’s 3rds, for sure. 6+18+2024 3rd rounder for 3+34. We might have to sweeten it just a little more than that, if we go by the rule that a future pick is worth a round less (which I think is foolish but is generally the way they math out) then it’s only a 10% overpay. In all honesty it might cost next year’s 2nd.

1 Like

Yeah I advocated awhile back for JSN at #6 and that seems even more possible today, as long as we stay put and don’t sign Chark.

2 Likes

We’ll see. I don’t believe the decision makers have even made their final decision and given the dearth of game changing talents his stock may hold up better than some are theorizing.

1 Like

Who is ever there and rated the highest for them between Anderson, Carter or Wilson at 6……

At 18 BPA regardless of position!

Certainly possible. I just think most of the FOs operate from a place of fear, especially early on, and Carter’s gonna scare the shit out of them. Not all of them - I doubt Belichick would hesitate to take him if he has him on his board - but a lot of them.

How do you think he and St.Brown fit together? Both have played predominantly out of the slot and neither has elite speed, although both are route running savants.
Only WR I like better than JSN is Marvin Harrison Jr.

FO could go many different directions at the top of the draft this year. DT, DE/Edge, WR, QB, OL, CB or trade down. Excited to see how this plays out.

Yeah that was my concern pre-combine, but then JSN measured in much larger than I thought he would, 6’, almost 200 pounds. That’s outside receiver size.

Then, while he didn’t do the 40 which is admittedly something of a red flag, he absolutely crushed his other testing, including some all-time agility drills. So I started wondering whether he could play outside or not. I whiffed on Jefferson because I thought he was slot only, and I don’t want to make that same mistake twice.

I also think JSN is the easy, runaway pick for best WR in the class. Personally I have him as the only 1st rounder and outside of maybe Bijan, Young and Will Anderson, I don’t think anyone has a higher floor. Young and Anderson will probably be gone and unlike Bijan, JSN plays a position of sky-high value.

So in the end I figure just take the best players (at high value positions) and figure out how to use them. Thankfully we happen to have a very creative staff and I don’t think they’ll have any problem doing just that.

1 Like

I do not see the Lions trading up to 3 at all. You guys have to understand that the Cards will want as much as possible becuz trading up to 3 is QB value. It’s possible the Colts, Raiders, maybe Falcons, maybe Seattle, even Wash, Ten can try to move up. So the Lions would have to give up a lot. If they wanted a QB at 3 I get it. But if there were no QB’s and they wanted Anderson, the value would be less, and not cost as much to move up.

1 Like

It might be difficult to pull off but surely you wouldn’t be surprised if we tried? Brad has proved again and again by this point that he’ll go and get guys he likes, including via trade up.

I think they’re really interchangeable.

The rumor is that we’re going to see St. Brown play more outside this year to A. Give defenses another look to defend and B. Increase his value for his next contract. I think both these guys are players you can put anywhere and they will just get open and make plays.

He was definitely going to play more outside this year if he didn’t get hurt. That was Day’s plan. Day and Hartline know the boost these kids get from playing outside versus slot only so they wanted to prove for JSN that he wasn’t just a slot guy.

Put it this way. To move up from 6 to 3 would probably cost both 1st round picks, and possibly more. If they wanted a QB I can understand. But let’s say there are no QB’s available, it would be less. maybe 18, and a 2nd. Or 6, and a 2nd.

Oh I know it will be expensive, I just don’t think that would deter him. I posted some examples above of ~20% overpays which is basically what it costs to trade up for a QB.

I have no idea what we will do at 6. I’m still trying to figure out a player that would fit and also carry the value in the future. I can’t throw a name out there that I would not question myself. I would love a trade down but we know that never happens. One thing I don’t see being brought up is possibly trading that pick for an established player. A trade for a player like Jeffery Simmons or the DT from Indy. Then that brings the contracts these guys ar on into play. If we traded 6 to Tennessee for Simmons and a 3rd I think our defense becomes very good. the 3rd could be used to replace somebody next year.

I get it. Don’t get me wrong. My opinion is if they wanted to trade up for Anderson, the price would be too high, and I doubt they do that. I wouldn’t want them to. Plus, they may not have to. Let’s say the 1st 4 picks are QB’s through trades (very possible) then they can just move up with Seattle one spot, and it will cost less.

I don’t think I would want them to either, I always lean to the side with more picks, but that doesn’t mean it won’t happen. It’s easy to see us shifting into the quality over quantity phase of our rebuild.

I also think in any scenario it would be necessary to jump Seattle.

Sure, it can for sure. Who knows? My feeling it’s just way too expensive. I’m predicting Panthers take Young, Texans take Stroud, Raiders (or someone else) trades with the Cards to draft Richardson, then Indy takes Levis. Then moving up for Anderson with Seattle will cost less. I think it would be really stupid for the Lions to give up QB value to trade up for Anderson. But if they did for a QB, i would understand. Heck, maybe Panthers take Young, and the Texans take Richardson. Shoot if Stroud is available then I’d be for it since hes my fav QB in this class.