Our secondary is locked up, now who do we draft?

they WILL draft for the future, for sure.
I can see them getting one or 2
I also could see them extending a guy or two mid season.

OG – >yup
RB → yup
dT → YES

Literally everything is on the table. Rosters are unstable as a MF’r…it’s a big part of the reason why we see such flux in NFL standings from one year to the next.
I’m thankful we are not going the route the Rams went.
I trust Brad to manage this thing long term.
He’s doing great.

Anderson is such a monster that’s why it’s alittle tricky. But everything is kinda moving towards taking QB. These one year deals are probably a prove it and come see this culture and what we’re about, while Holmes knows he’s gonna take AR and whoever performs and fits will be resigned and now we have a QB under a rookie contract for the next 4 years after he sits for a year and learns under Goff.

Agreed, that’s the way I lean as well. We’ll probably have to give up a lot of capital to get to 3 and I don’t know if we’d do that for any non-QB.

I’ll just add to this thread that I don’t really see our secondary with long term solutions. I see two band aids and a long term solution with Sutton. It makes us comfortable for one season. I will assume Holmes will have cap space the following year too, so there is that. But I also think it makes some sense to keep secondary as a place where we have long term needs, and a place where we have a year to develop young talent.

It definitely frees us up to take a broader view of the draft though.

2 Likes

I agree but this draft is deep enough to do it later. I’m almost certain we’ll add a CB in the 2nd or 3rd, as long as we still have those picks.

The question is what will be enough to get the deal done and do you think 6 and 55 can make it happen? Arizona want Will Anderson but is 6 and 55 enough for them… New GM and head coach, I feel like they won’t mind moving back and hoping it’s with colts because they can still get their guy in Anderson and acquire more picks, but if they deal with Lions then they’ll have to settle taking Wilson or even Jalen Carter… I won’t be surprised if they throw out Lions are interested to get a bidding war with colts and Seahawks (who also have 2 first picks). Do the colts like Richardson? New coach, the idea of RPO with Jonathan Taylor and we saw what he did with Jalen Hurts… I know that Seahawks are interested in AR because John Schneider love big, strong armed QB’s.

Right. So guys that may not have made sense before like injured CB from Syracuse (just by way example) might now be more on the radar since they are in a better position to wait for recovery.

I think it would take a lot more than 6 and 55. I know it matches up on the trade charts but generally there’s a ~20% premium on trading up for QBs, especially when we have to convince them to move off a stud tier player and especially if there’s competition for the trade.

I think it might look something like 6 & 18 for 3 & 66. That’s almost exactly a 20% overpay on the Rich Hill chart.

CJGJ can definitely be a long term solution. We just have to extend him to do it.

Yeah exactly, he’s a great shout. I really loved his early career tape, though checking in at 5’10 at the combine is a little worrying. Maybe an Eli Ricks type if they think they can get him to reach is potential, or a Kyu Blu Kelly (who I’m higher on that most). There’s a cadre of dudes in that range that are interesting. Don’t know how many will fit what we like but would be surprised to leave the draft without one of them.

Yeah you’re right I just hope we can make this happen without giving up the 18 or a 1st in next year draft. I don’t mind even giving up 6,48,55 (if Brad really believes he’s the guy) but it’s def gonna be very intense comes draft time. They move up to 3 and control the draft… colts and Seahawks will panic… one of them will land Anderson (who would of thought) but I’m sure the plan for them was to get a QB.

I’m actually OK giving up 18, I think the grouping this year from like 12-60 is all roughly the same tier. This happens most years but it’s usually more like 20-50. I think it’s wider this year. So I’d rather keep the two 2nd rounders. Plus if we give up 18 they’d have to give us another decent pick back in return.

Is it?

1 Like

I think so, yeah. The NFL gets really turned off by guys like this. I’d be surprised but not totally shocked if the dropped into the 20s. At this point I’m almost certain he’ll last past six (though like you I’d take him, but really, really don’t think Brad will), which a month ago you’d definitely call a dive.

Agreed. I’m not that fussed about #18 - unless someone falls - I don’t really know what to do with the pick. I’d quite like Arizona’s #34 though - I think that’s a really valuable pick as it means we could get back into round 1 if necessary. We also have two round 3 picks for next year - and I’d consider folding one of those into the mix - whilst we’re speculating.

with all these roster holes filled, i’m leaning more towards grabbing the top WR.

yes Jamo is basically a rookie and we have ASB but if one of those guys gets hurt, our offense takes a big hit.

and while too many top WR might seem like overkill, just look at Cincinnati…Chase, Higgins, and Boyd. that offense is tough to stop

They might give us 34 in return if we coughed up one of next year’s 3rds, for sure. 6+18+2024 3rd rounder for 3+34. We might have to sweeten it just a little more than that, if we go by the rule that a future pick is worth a round less (which I think is foolish but is generally the way they math out) then it’s only a 10% overpay. In all honesty it might cost next year’s 2nd.

1 Like

Yeah I advocated awhile back for JSN at #6 and that seems even more possible today, as long as we stay put and don’t sign Chark.

2 Likes

We’ll see. I don’t believe the decision makers have even made their final decision and given the dearth of game changing talents his stock may hold up better than some are theorizing.

1 Like

Who is ever there and rated the highest for them between Anderson, Carter or Wilson at 6……

At 18 BPA regardless of position!