Our secondary is locked up, now who do we draft?

All that is true, and Swift will also be hurt and gone.

2 Likes

This is an excellent point and I hope everyone is paying attention. We could be in a 2014 vs 2015 Lions DT debacle if we don’t plan for the future.

5 Likes

I definitely think a DB is added somewhere in this draft, I think the first three picks are wide open, granted sounds like it will be offense from what some here are saying.

I think they set them self up we’re they can take best player , CB is still on table it’s just not a top need. This thing is wide open kudos to Brad. I still have no idea who or were. But I’m enjoying the ride so far.

1 Like

Paris Johnson
BPA, high value position.

1 Like

I don’t see why anyone would be takers. One year left on his 3OA contract. Benched for Mike Hughes. Can’t stay healthy. Not that good when healthy. No way you give him a longer term deal based on production. Then you give up resources in a CB rich draft to get him for a year? I think all three new CB’s we signed this offseason are both better and cheaper than Okudah’s 11.5M he’s due this year.

4 Likes

You may very well be right, is he really due 11.5 million this year!? Shit that’s a lot for a backup.

If Holmes and this staff had confidence in Okudah staying healthy and playing well they wouldn’t have signed Sutton, Moseley, and Gardner Johnson.

I’d be real curious how Okudah is feeling right now after all those moves!?

2 Likes

I don’t think these additions take corner or safety off the board in the 1st round but it opens up the draft to so many more possibilities now that they don’t HAVE TO focus on need, not that Holmes would have drafted for need anyway.

The Lions still have needs at DT and LB (OG and WR too depending on how the rest of the offseason shakes out) but I think they’re in a position to draft for luxury now in terms of talent and maybe even character so this leads me to believe that Carter could be back on their board now and I wouldn’t rule out QB being an option. They can risk take now so a swing for the fences might be an order. I also think WR is a stong possibility at 18 namely Johnston.

The reality is that none of us have any idea what Holmes will do (including insiders) because this man is playing chess while the rest of the NFL universe is playing checkers and he does whatever the hell he wants to do without a care for what anybody thinks or what supposed conventional wisdom dictates he should do.

1 Like

Aren’t all the DBs signed on 1 yr deals?
Any chance they cut bait on Okuda and still draft a cb at 6 or 18?
Any chance they take a qb at 6 and let him sit for a year? The salary cap impact is huge if they do that and cut bait on Goff, saves up to $30m a year for 4 years.

Personally I think there’s a better chance they draft a cb or qb than an rb in the first rd. Holmes Positional value of rb seems low, as long as he has a great OL the rb can be plug and play.

I still think it’s Witherspoon at 6 with the wildcard being Richardson or Levis. Call me crazy, but last year EVERYONE was positive we were going QB in the first even when they traded up but I just didn’t see it fitting the plan, this year it seems to fit.

Two of our top corners are on one year deals so we could still go cb early but i would also love o line and d line in the first now.

Wouldn’t hate Bijan at 18, kinda would at 6 but with swift out next year and Montgomery on a short deal i guess i could live with it.

2 Likes

Dammit man… I want to draft him… but i dont want to see him in that uniform between now in the draft. It makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit. Lol

Yeah… if we go wr i sure hope it isnt Johnston. He has some really nice traits… but hands are not one of them. JSN can take over games.

I still thinking QB somehow some way. Other than Carter/Andeson or a QB this spot feels underwhelming.

1 Like

I thought we were snagging Jordan Davis

4 Likes

My understanding is he showed up fat and out of shape on his pro day

1 Like

I think a trade up to #3 is absolutely on the table. I don’t know if it would be for Anderson or Richardson/Levis, but I think we’re starting to reach the quality over quantity portion of our rebuild.

3 Likes

IMO my draft needs for the Lions have not changed at all based on what has happened in FA. I still see the Lions going for at least 3 DBs, 1 OG, 1 LB, 1 QB, and 1 RB.

DBs currently out of the 10 players for the secondary/DBs the Lions have 4 under contract pass this season. I can easily see them adding to this group based on the talent that is available in the draft.

OG - Glasgow is on a 1 year deal and we still have no clue what Big V’s health status is at this time. Not to mention that none of the depth guys from last year really looked that good.

LB - I still believe that the Lions are looking to add a guy to develop to put with Barnes and Rodrigo in 2024 and beyond.

QB - As has been mentioned the Lions need 2 QBs added to the roster. I have seen no reason not to add one from FA and one from the Draft.

RB - The Lions like a RBC instead of a bell cow. With the draft being full of talented RBs I can see the Lions adding depth to the group. Maybe even a power back to replace Williams.

IN addition I can see the Lions looking to add depth/competition to the WR and OT rooms out of this draft.

Now I have no clue where, when or whom the Lions might be looking at, but I feel pretty confident that those positions I mention will be addressed during the draft.

I thought trading about trading up to #3 the other day but was too nervous to say it.

The Lions trade up for #3 - which they have the capital to do - and they take control of the draft. They leapfrog the pesky Colts and Seahawks who are hoping their guy falls to them as things stand. It would cause emergency meetings for a lot of FOs across the NFL. At #3, the Lions would be pretty much guaranteed to get Will Anderson as the worst possible outcome. If they wanted Anthony Richardson - they could almost certainly get him. And they could potentially trade back down and recoup a bigger haul than it cost to move up.

It’s certainly the bold, game-changing move. And everything Holmes is doing right now suggests it’s at least possible.

I love Anderson, but we are so deep at edge that I couldn’t justify giving up more picks for Anderson. Even if you discount Romeo and Harris on one year deals, we still have Hutch, Houston, Cominsky, and Pascal.

If we traded up to 3, it would have to be for one of Young, Richardson, or Stroud, IMO.

I wouldn’t be upset if we did it for Anderson because I think he has Khalil Mack potential, just not sure of the fit.

1 Like

Yeah, it makes sense for Brad especially. He really seems aggressive going to get his guys. And I’m not the first to say it, @BallHawk made a whole thread about it. I always though it was possible but I think it’s much more likely now after our spate of moves.

1 Like

Yeah I would think it would be for a QB as well, I just wouldn’t completely rule Anderson out. He’s sort of the last of the super tier of prospects now that Carter’s stock is crashing.

2 Likes