Overrated vs. Underrated

Not ranked in any order
Underrated:

1. George Pickens - He is my WR1 in this class.

2. Brian Robinson

3. Kenneth Walker

4. Percy Butler

5. Alec Pierce

Overrated:

1. Travon Walker

2. Jordan Davis

3. Trevor Penning

4. Drake London

5. Derrick Stingley

I have to agree with the Travon Walker ranking on your list.

If you don’t even know what weight the prospect is likely playing at, you probably shouldn’t project him as #1 overall pick.

If his profile has him graded as a better run-stuffer than pass-rusher, you might have him too high at #1 overall.

If anyone suggests he could be a Left Defensive End in a 4-3 or either DE in a 3-4, you probably shouldn’t look at him as the #1 overall pick.

1 Like

I know I had Pickens in my lower tier, but I like that you put him number one. If it was based solely on his tape, he’d be in that Jameson/London/Wilson tier for me. It’s just the more I read the more I think he’s a diva and to me they’re more trouble than they’re worth.

1 Like

More on George Pickens:

5 Likes

If Brad takes KT at #2 I will lose respect for his ability to evaluate talent and build a culture. I will give him the benefit of the doubt, but there will certainly be doubt.

2 Likes

My top 5 overrated players are

1. Neal OT Alabama
  2. Hill S Michigan
  3. Willis qb liberty
  4. Stingley cb lsu
  5. Thibodaux DE Oregon

My top 5 underrated players are

1. Gardner DB Cincinnati
  2. Johnson DE Florida state
  3. Mafe DE Minnesota
  4. Walker LB Georgia
  5. Pickens WR Georgia

No doubt he is more risky, especially when you consider there is a very large cluster of receivers in the top 40 again this year. We can’t truly know given what has come out if the kid will be a problem as he gets older. We also aren’t fortunate enough to sit and talk to him about anything, so… I don’t want to drift too much into thinking the character concerns are really going to stick.

Unfortunately there’s not a single receiver that’s totally clean for me this year. Every one has at least something off that I wish was different. So many guys are close to actually being very high end prospects. Pickens is just my personal favorite.

I think that’s a bit much. I get that you have a strong take on KT but obviously there are a lot of talent evaluators that think highly of the guys talent and not many that view him as a second round talent as you implied.

Right @Mr.Peabody is the outlier in this case, which is fine. It’s good to have against-the-grain takes. But being against-the-grain by definition means it’s the unpopular take, which to me makes it smartest-guy-in-the-room stuff, which is what we always castigated Quinn for.

Of course I have plenty of those too lol. My very low opinion of Jordan Davis for example. BUT I’m also aware that I could very easily be wrong (and I certainly wouldn’t lose respect for Brad if he drafted him). I believe he won’t amount to much but I’m definitely out on a limb, and the fact that so many smart football guys disagree with me means I’ll probably end up wrong. But that’s my take and I’m sticking to it.

I am a fan of Breece Hall at #34. I have to wonder if Swift is a Campbell type of guy after last year when Swift missed a chunk of the season. There was also a play late in the year (against GB maybe?) when Swift looked like he could have picked up a first down but went out of bounds and the Lions were left with 4th & 1.

Hall looks like an immediate grade to Williams and Swift’s availability issues mean that Hall could have a big role in the offense as a rookie.

The NFL.com profiles note that Hall is a good chain mover. The Lions seem like they came up short on a ton of 3rd & 4th short plays last year.

Zierlein also notes that Hall looks like he “is pacing himself” & “needs to play faster.” I’d agree with that, but there were also plays where he looked really athletic.

I’m no scout, so I love when production meets athletic testing. Hall impresses in those categories.

Can’t wait to see how what Holmes and do on Thursday & Friday.

Definitely similar although while he has the athleticism to play FS does he have the instincts? I think Dax Hill is closer to both those guys personally, but both Hill and Pitre are in a similar mold for sure. I would also grab either one without hesitation at 32.

1 Like

Yeah Pitre still has to prove he can play FS but he’s got the athletic chops to do so and he’s just so instinctive with everything he does. It’s just he’s never really done a lot of dropping deep, and I don’t think we’d ask that of him at first.

Hill is even more athletic but like Pitre hasn’t thrived when dropping deep. I don’t think his instincts are quite on the level of Pitre but that’s nothing to be ashamed about, they’re still a plus overall it’s just Pitre reads the game like he’s in the offensive huddle. But Hill is so athletic I think you could regularly line him up at outside corner and be fine. Pitre could survive there for a few plays but I think you’d be wasting his talent that way.

But yeah, I’d be pretty happy with either one. I love that they’re essentially CB/S combos. I think Cine has the athleticism to do some CB things as well but he wasn’t asked to do that at Georgia.

I thought the entire notion of him having a 2nd round grade by anyone was strange. But now that I have watched the film, I can see it. He is going to get picked high and not be a 2nd round pick. That’s not the point I was making.

What’s being said about Thibs is disconnected from reality. In other words the game film tells a different story. And it tells enough of a story that if Brad takes him at 2, it is going to make me look at him differently until he proves me wrong. There are others who have watched the film and have a similar opinion as mine.

No, you think the game film says that. There are countless others that disagree with you. I have not “broken down the tape.” To be honest I’m not really qualified enough to do so and have an opinion that i would feel in any way trumps that of other members of the board. But living in Eugene with countless Duck diehards as friends I have watched most every game in his college career (several live.) I’ve also listened to multiple opposing coaches on the radio speak to what he brings to the table, what a challenge he is to gameplan against and what adjustments they made to their gameplans simply due to his presence. You may ultimately end up being right but the way you’re suggesting that the tape is irrefutably bad simply doesn’t jive with what seems to be how KT is viewed within the scouting community.

REALLY surprised to see an OT fall in the draft that was thought to be a possible 1st rounder.
Seems really rare to me…

#77 OA… wow… did not see that one falling that far. Seems like a theme…

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.