Patricia on loss against Saints

Sounds like he has no answer. A beaten coach begging to be fired. Was upset at reporter for asking about his job status

1 Like

He isn’t wrong. Defensive line wasn’t low enough so they were pushed back 4 yards on most runs.
Lack of effort was obvious as well. Can’t recall a single time a lineman shed a block and made a play

1 Like

He may not be wrong, but the buck stops with him. It appears they have quit on the staff.

You nailed it. The defensive players know this system is a joke. That’s why you have the lack of effort

Yep he’s lost the team. They know it’s just a matter of time before he gone.

1 Like

Dead man rolling

2 Likes

Not answering questions about his overall record saying “it’s not fair” shows you just how entitled this guy is. We should send him a bus ticket out of town.

2 Likes

The Lions have had many bad coaches and GMs in their history. I can’t remember any of them being as unlikable as Patricia. Millen was a disgrace… but he was still likable IMO. Same with Marty Morningweg and Rod. They were both buffoons… but they weren’t unlikable and they were decent men. Patricia is a POS. He is more unlikable than Eric Ebron.

3 Likes

I had a buddy text me during our game today, he’s a raider fan so doesn’t really care about nfc, and his words were …dude we are only in game #4 and your team has quit. No effort at all. Either entitled or no respect for coaches.
Outsiders nail our team after watching 2qtrs

1 Like

False, they are just not talented. I never saw quit, I saw college level players playing against pros.

Kevin Clark of the Ringer had a decent question in relation to Patricia a few weeks back - What exactly does he offer? In what area of coaching or management would you consider him to be a strength/asset to the Lions?

The truth is there is very little evidence to justify Patricia getting any further opportunities to keep his job. He is inept and has shown his defensive gameplan simply does not work in the NFL. It is time to move on. As I said on another thread, I don’t expect him to be fired until after the Texans beat us on Thanksgiving in front of a national audience but surely there is a case to move on now. Give the job to Bevell until the end of the season and allow some form of an evaluation of the defensive talent to be made outside of the current moribund scheme.

The only logic I can see for not making the change now is that the schedule gets a bit easier over the next 6 or 7 weeks and what is really to be gained from a medium term perspective by going 3-3 over the next six games and playing ourselves out of a top 5 pick. Ownership may well hedge their bets that Patricia can luck out and win some game between now and Thanksgiving as the schedule lightens and give the illusion that the team is competitive but there is a good possibility we end up 1-6 or 2-5 in this stretch and in contention for a top 5 pick.

All things considered we they might well keep Patricia til the end of November to get that top 5 pick.

So if letting Patricia go, the Lions are going to magically become a winning team? Or is that just the assumption because the prevailing thought is the head coach is holding the team back. Compound the fact that Patricia is Quinn’s best friend and no way he fires him without both being canned and doing that is probably the worst thing a team can do at this point of the season. No point, the owner needs to see if they can right the ship with the next 5 games out of the bye and give the illusion that they are behind their guys. The carousel of coaching changes every 3-4 years has not worked. Maybe they need to give them 2 more years (length of their contracts) to give them all the time, despite the ire of the fanbase. You can’t build a team by listening to the fanbase (that basically what they have done for the past 40 years).

1 Like

All this does is give cover to a bad coach…Matt Patricia. This team has talent, Patricia just sucks.

2 Likes

Please disregard my previous post. Now I see you are too far gone to have a rational conversation with.

3 Likes

So if this team has talent, should Quinn stay? I mean, the Saints had more pro bowlers not play yesterday than Quinn has drafted in 5 years (Okudah/Swift/Jackson are not making the pro bowl)… Does this team have talent? I see a bunch of average players with one or two above average. We have no elite talent to speak of. The large contracts he’s handed out are for Decker (average) Flowers (maybe slightly above average) Vaitai (below average so far) Marvin Jones (average) Justin Coleman (average) Jamie Collins (average). I just don’t see enough high end talent. Add to that that he took a TE @ 8 and a CB @ 3, I’m not sure how anyone could say yes done a good job aquring talent… Especially considering taking players like Okudah was filling a hole he created and it was against the wishes of the coaching and personnel staff.

4 Likes

He is 10-26, the defense (his supposed strength) is getting worse and worse, the team has lost 5 straight games when leading by double digits (an NFL record) and he is 10-26. Not to mention the fact that he’s… 10-26!!!

I don’t care that they supposedly need stability. What good is stability if you’re stuck with a buffoon? Sometimes you know somebody is a bad coach right away. The Jets game should have been a sign right off the bat that this guy is in over his head. 35 games later and it has only gotten worse. This isn’t even mentioning him alienating his best players, walking around like his shit don’t stink and his overall unprofessional appearance. Get this guy away from my team now.

“I think when I came to Detroit, there was a lot of work to do and that’s what we’re trying to do.” -Matt Patricia after losing to the Saints.

I guess he means there was a lot of work to do in regards to tearing down a team on the cusp of the playoffs and rebuilding it into the hot mess that it is.

Dan Orlovsky noticed the quote I posted above and responded to Patricia.

“We were 11-5 in 2014 and a really good football team,” Orlovsky said. "In 2015, we go 7-9, it’s because we turned the football over. But the last eight games, we were (6-2). So flipped our season around. Next two years, we’re 9-7 and I believe in Week 17 we were playing Green Bay for a chance to win the division. OK? So, to come in and say you had a lot of work to do is completely false. It’s a bunch of trash, because that wasn’t the case in Detroit.”

3 Likes

Quinn should be fired for making the decision to hire Patricia, and then tripling down on that decision by giving him the 2020 season. Prior to that I was willing to give Quinn 1 more coaching hire to try to get it right. But to me, he put himself in the basket with Patricia when he made that call. Now, if by some miracle he’s not fired…I’m okay with that. Quinn clearly has an eye for talent, he just really sucked at his first coaching hire and he sucked at knowing when to cut bait. But if you told me we were giving Quinn another year and he brought in a Jack Del Rio or Marvin Lewis type, I could support that decision. Under no circumstances could I support retaining Patricia, he’s that bad. You could tell me Ozzie Newsome was coming to be GM, and if it meant keeping Patricia I’d be horrified.

1 Like

Dan is absolutely right. I get it, sometimes a team isn’t nearly as good as its record. The team Matt Millen took over was a good example. People kept saying “we were 9-7 and 1 play away from the playoffs!” That was an overachieving team, and the cupboard was pretty bare when you go down that roster. Millen sucked, don’t get me wrong, but he didn’t take over a 9-7 team. Quinn on the other hand took over that kind of a team. Patricia took over that kind of a team. I get it if we were going 8-8 and Patricia was trying to say that getting to 10+ wins and a playoff win is going to take time. I get that. But that’s not what’s going on. This guy has us playing like a bottom 5 team, and we simply are not that bad. He just sucks at his job.

4 Likes