Patricia on loss against Saints

I think BQ is a large part of the problem. I also feel his talent acquisition is suspect. This team lacks difference makers and it’s blatantly obvious.

However … I think he’s done a decent enough job in the middle rounds of the draft. I also like how he’s handled the salary cap. But … if the rumors are true that he disregarded his staff and drafted Okudah against everyone’s recommendations then he should be fired.

Personally I think BQ has flaws. He clearly locks in on players and then puts blinders on. Taking a TE at 8OA and a CB at 3OA wasn’t the smartest decisions. Add in his choice to bring in MP tells me that his decision making is suspect.

Both need to go … we need a fresh start.

1 Like

Dan is a major homer. Yes they all suck and need to go . But that includes your BFF Stafford .

Yikes. We couldn’t possibly see things any differently. Quinn has sucked at all things GM.

Quinn is toast. He’s had ample opportunity with high picks to prove his worth. He’s done the opposite. He’s drafted too conservatively on the one hand, going for “safe” picks, and then has jumped the shark being the “smartest man in the room” on others. I personally gave him the benefit of the doubt on some picks, but he’s like a C grade drafter overall and that doesn’t cut it.

The only thing I can give Quinn credit for is his handling of the cap. He’s a better accountant than evaluator of talent, coaching and player-wise. But at least they aren’t in cap hell.

He’s stingier than Mayhew, that’s for sure.

Just remember - if you say Quinn sucks that means you are essentially giving a pass to Patricia. I will say what I’ve said before. This is NOT a bottom 5 roster. But Patricia is coaching it to be a bottom 5 team.

1 Like

I agree … but I also feel this roster has less talent than the one he took over. When the talent level drops you have to point towards the GM.

I look at it like this… how many pro bowlers has he drafted compared to most other GM’s? He is far below the average.

The pro bowler argument is a silly one that I’m not entertaining. Its a popularity contest for half of the people in it, and we suck. The better tell is to go man for man down the roster. Hell, go back to 2010 and try to compare that roster to this one. That team won 6 games! And that was with journeyman backup QBs starting.

Patricia is a joke.

1 Like

Do you pay attention to how the other 31 teams work?

Or do you believe that Detroit is some special case that needs special consideration?

There’s enough levels of suck that they each clearly share in the failure here.

1 Like

This is what I do. This is why I had higher expectations for the year. This year showed greater depth, though I also agree with Air that the team lacks top-end talent. We’ve lost Huntley, Johnson and Burton to waiver claims this year That bodes well for the overall depth. We’ve built depth along the OL that prevents an utter collapse when 1 starter is lost to injury. This is good, too. But, it’s not enough. Quinn himself has said you need playmakers.

I have to assume this is a troll. EVERYONE: DO NOT FEED THE TROLL.

Unless you’re just looking for someone, anyone who claims to actually support this garbage fire to argue with so you can feel like you’re doing something productive today. In which case, enjoy.

1 Like

Patricia is a first-time head coach, hired by a first-time GM. So on some level, you have to expect some growing pains. But it’s truly amazing how the guy can be so confident that he’s not the problem when his results are an unequivocal three solid years of failure. Like, how on Earth can you continually point fingers at everyone but yourself, failure after failure after failure? Where I can I get me some of that iron-clad self esteem, that sounds rad!

What’s HILARIOUS is that, outside of evaluating his own performance, Patricia is the quintessential “results or get out of the way” guy. How many players on this roster would still have a starting job after three straight years of delivering abject failure almost every time they step on the field? (Wait, never mind, the answer is “all of them,” because they’re the only players he’s got after running all the decent ones out of town.)

2 Likes

Sorry Wes but couldn’t disagree more. Both things can be true. Patricia can be a bad coach, and Bob Quinn can also be a terrible GM. This roster has been purged of all its best players and Quinn has drafted all of two impact players in his tenure here. Golliday and Ragnow have proven to be good players, but you can even argue Ragnow was a reach in the first round for the position that he is. What exactly are your building blocks on this team? He constantly reaches for players that no one else covets, and shockingly it usually doesn’t work out so well. It has been a non stop parade of Patriots cast offs and trades that have shockingly not worked out in the Lions favor. Is this roster honestly anywhere near the talent level of the 2014 roster? I don’t think its even debatable. Everyone goes on about the offense, but honestly what is impressive about it? I’m not defending Patricia, he is equally responsible for the results on the field, but a good roster with a terrible coach should be able to grind out 6 wins a year. Please just give me some proof that Quinn has improved this roster somehow. This defense is an absolute historically bad defense. I guess the O line is better, but for all the capital he put into it, it better be. QB is the same qb he inherited, so I guess we can call it a wash.

The running game which he has worked so hard to improve? Same as it ever was. TE ? at #8 I don’t see him being any different than Pettigrew so far.
Receivers position has been the brightest spot on the team to this point.

Anyway, I’m so sick of people saying this team has so much talent when it hasn’t translated a lick on the field. Potential doesn’t mean they are good. I’m sorry but Quinn has been terrible here, and so has Patricia. They’ve taken a decent, competitive football team and made it worse each year they’ve been here.

Yeah, totally agree. Patricia is quite possibly the worst head coach I’ve ever seen. (Yes, even worse than Marinelli. At least players LIKED Marinelli. At least Marinelli didn’t REMOVE talent from the roster because he couldn’t work with team leaders.)

However, Quinn is a bad GM. Probably not Millen bad, but definitely not a guy who has shown any ability to run an NFL team or assemble an NFL-caliber roster.

I think Wes is right that this roster isn’t AS BAD as they looked yesterday. But let’s not confuse that with “good.” A better coach could probably get this roster to 6 or even 7 wins with a few good bounces. That’s still a losing team, not one that’s remotely ready to contend for anything. We have more than enough evidence that Bob Quinn is terrible at his job, even outside of hiring the worst coach in modern Lions history.

1 Like

That is not true at all. Shawn Rodgers was run out of town by Marinelli because Marinelli said he was too fat.

Remember, most of the reason the Lions went to 0-16, was because Marinelli ran off a lot of the decent players the Lions had (Dre Bly, Shawn Rodgers) and brought in his own Tampa Bay try hards like Chuck Darby and Dwight Smith.

While I am not a huge fan of Kitna, he outright quit on the Lions because he was disgusted with the direction of the team.

My general feeling is Quinn deserves to go, and Patricia deserves to go. I would put Quinn on the bottom 3rd for GM’s, and Patricia has earned his spot as one of the worst HC’s in a franchise full of them. I know we won’t, but they would both be fired today if I owned the Lions. The Patriot Way has not worked here, and letting it continue just allows more time to be wasted. I’d fire Quinn/Patricia, let everyone know we are open for business for trades, and that we will spend the rest of 2020 prepping for a new start in 2021.

2 Likes

I didn’t think about the fact that he could be trolling. Good call. He also might be stuck a decade or more behind the rest of us. I remember many years ago there were more people on the board saying “just give him more time” and “given someone 4-5 years to build a program!” Now pretty much everybody here has figured out that in today’s NFL, it doesn’t take 4-5 years and in fact if you give a guy a 4th and 5th year you are wasting everybody’s time.

I’m not interested in a theoretical discussion on it. The reality is that this is a better roster than what Patricia is coaching it to be.

You are discussing the wrong thing. Its not about this team having the most loaded roster in the league. I just refuse to call it a bad roster, particularly when we have a franchise QB running it. Go back and compare this roster player for player with the 2010 team. That team won 6 games. Go compare it to the 2004 team, who also won 6 games. This team kind of reminds of of the Broncos team that Josh McDaniels completely F’d up. Shanahan’s results were kind of like Caldwell’s at the end of his tenure. Then McDaniels came in and the team completely imploded under his watch (minus his hot start). Then John Fox came in and righted the ship. Was it a great roster? No. But it was definitely better than the results McDaniels was getting with them.

1 Like

For the original OP, I agree with Orlovsky and Glover Quin’s comments. I know why Orlovsky is saying what he is saying, and I know why Quin is, but here’s the facts. Patricia is trying to blame why the 2020 Detroit Lions, lost week 4 to the New Orleans Saints, on issues that happened in 2016. That’s just shameful, and factually incorrect.

Patricia’s job was to win first and foremost. He hasn’t. His job was to build the Lions into a defensive machine. He hasn’t. His job was to find ways to win games. He has done the opposite. Patricia said the Lions defense would be built to take away the opposing team’s weapons. He did the exact opposite. Patricia has no answers, and no ideas on how to right the ship. He has become predictable, and has shown no ability or idea on how to even identify the problem, let alone correct it. The only thing he has definitely shown, is that he isn’t a good head coach. That’s all there is to it.

2 Likes

That’s not how I remember those moves going down, but that’s not the point. Marinelli had no control whatsoever over the roster–Millen made it clear over and over again that he was pulling all those strings. There was no point under Marinelli where we had to dump multiple team leaders because he had personality conflicts with them, the way we had to do with Glover Quinn, Quandre Diggs and Darius Slay.