Patricia on loss against Saints

This pretty much sums of my feelings. Thank you.

Here is an article on Rodgers getting traded to the Browns for Leigh Bodden.

Rogers is often among the most dominant defensive players in the league. But he failed to live up to expectations at times because of weight and off-the-field problems. https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=3271113

Dre Bly was traded because he was a man coverage guy and Marinelli wanted him to be a zone defense corner, and Bly hated it. Marinelli had Bly traded after the 3-13 year, then had Rodgers dumped as part of the reason the Lions started 6-2 and finished 7-9 was because Rodgers ran out of gas due to poor conditioning. I do remember Marinelli picking up a number of his ex-Tampa guys, and promptly turning the team into the 0-16 product.

I’m… not trying to suggest that no players were moved during the Marinelli era. I’m suggesting that there was no scenario where players who otherwise performed fine had to be jettisoned solely because the coach couldn’t get along with them. As has happened at least three times (that we know of) with Matt Patricia.

Really, this is a minor point and probably not worth belaboring. But dumping a player because they’re not a great fit with your scheme, or because they’re out of condition, is a very different thing than dumping three high-caliber players and team leaders NOT because of anything they’re doing on the field, but because the head coach is an insecure tool.

I gotcha now.

1 Like

I’m not sure how Bly felt about zone coverage, other than he was a damn good zone coverage corner. He could not only cover his zone well, he would read the QB and get into other people’s zones for pass breakups and interceptions. In his prime he was great to watch. I don’t think it was a pure football move.

That being said, the disaster that was the 2008 Lions is amazing. We had undersized DTs playing next to undersized DEs who formed a defensive front that played in front of undersized LBs. Gee, I wonder what could go wrong there! And its why the 2008 Lions were one of the worst run defense teams in the modern era. We gave up 5.1 yards per carry and was approaching 3,000 yards given up on the ground. Had our offense been a little more potent and teams needed to run and score more…they would have.

1 Like

Just want to reiterate here… I am in no way pining for the glory years of Rod Marinelli. Just making the point that a HC can be bad at his job in many ways–poor leadership, poor schemes, poor decision-making, poor preparation, poor interpersonal skills–and in the most extreme cases, can be SO bad on an interpersonal level that the roster suffers as the GM makes moves to adapt to his coach’s deficiencies. Matt Patricia just manages to check every box.

So here is one for you. My biggest memories of the 2008 Lions defense, is watching teams that were LITERALLY trying to run out the clock, and would STILL march into the end zone. They weren’t even trying to score!

I saw that happening in the Saints game. The last TD they scored, one guy pushed 3 of ours into the endzone. That was shameful. Wasn’t even Kamara. Latavius Murray isn’t a bad player by any means, but he shouldn’t be able to go 1v3 on a 3rd and 5, and carry them to the end zone. All NO was doing was just setting up to kick a FG and move on, and instead the guy outfights our defense for the TD. Pathetic, and yes, 2008ish.

That touchdown you are describing is literally the worst single defensive play I’ve since 2008

3rd and goal from the 6 to give up your 5th straight touchdown.

He does. It’s why Quinn doesn’t escape the axe for me. Quinn brought in Patricia, so he is just as responsible in all of this. In fact, if I were Quinn, I’d be firing Patricia myself, and saying that it was my job to bring him here, it’s clear it hasn’t worked, so it’s my job to fix this. We know that won’t happen either.

Came to this thread hoping we had an update on these clowns being fired. Was hoping it would be today!!

Had he done that after last season, when it was clear Patricia was in over his head, I would have given Quinn 1 more coaching hire to take the lessons he’s learned and carry them forward for 1 more bite at the apple. But when he kept Patricia, to me that tied their fate together.

3 Likes

I actually came here to say “Dead man waddling.”

You were faster, but I think mine is funnier.

You’re way more generous than me. I don’t think Quinn is as bad as Patricia, but I’m not seeing what you’ve seen from him to justify giving him control of this franchise for another offseason, much less picking the next coach.

If he’d proven himself to be great, or even just above-average at drafting, I could see wanting to keep him around. But no matter how much I squint, I don’t see anything he’s actually “built” in 5 off-seasons’ worth of drafts and free agency. I see a roster with less talent and more holes than he started with.

Sloppy seconds are what they are

1 Like

First, let’s be clear here. I’m not interested in retaining Quinn after 2020. But I have always said that a GM should get 2 to 3 coaching hires, to give his program hes building a chance and to learn from mistakes. Particularly a rookie GM like Quinn. He inherited Caldwell and he hired Patricia. I was willing to give Quinn 1 more shot after firing Patricia after 2019. But once he kept him, it was like hiring a new coach in my mind…except its one that has 1 year left to prove himself. So if Patricia shit the bed again, which was predictable, Quinn should go out the door with him just like he would have if another coach were hired and failed…just sooner.

1 Like

I’m fine with that approach when you have some evidence, any evidence, that the GM has a plan for the franchise and is capably executing it. Constant disruption in the front office is not good for an organization. But sticking too long with someone who’s not up to the job is just as bad. The state of this roster five offseasons in, regardless of coaching, is an embarrassment.

As early as Quinn’s year two, I was concerned that he seemed in no great hurry to upgrade the talent on this roster and was content to just tread water. The guy uses his draft and FA capital to just plug holes as if he were running a perennial playoff team like the Patriots. I think the results you see today reflect six years of that attitude.

Why do you think we are disagreeing right now?

Lol apparently I’m just in the mood to rant

1 Like

Patricia is here to stay, deal with it.

Sheila is that you?