Pay Kenny G

Agree, whoever the GM is next year should make the decision.

I’m 100% in agreement that the Kenny extension shouldn’t be done this year unless he’s taking a discount which he isn’t.

We also know that KG has a rather low completion percentage too.

I am starting to believe that BQ and MP might think KG isn’t worth paying. Like they did with Glasgow. Like Glasgow he maybe easier to replace than fans want to admit. They may just let him go and look to FA and the draft to replace him.

1 Like

this season he’s around 71% completion%, but typically he’s around 58%.

There is a direct correlation between catch percentage and yards per reception.

The higher the yards, the lower the catch percentage.

There is also a correlation between % of routes run from the slot and separation numbers.

More routes run from the slot the higher the separation numbers

I love stats and data but you can’t watch football and tell me Kenny isn’t very good bordeline great at this point.

If this front office or the next one doesn’t value the position enough to pay top dollar for one I get it but Kenny is going to be highly productive no matter where he goes.

4 Likes

Agree 1000% except for the where ever he goes part .

But regardless Kenny is a Top WR in this league with Stafford and for the skill sets he has …

When I can say the only WR I would rather have then Kenny from the Lions ever in a last drive situation like this past weekend is Calvin …I pay the man

2 Likes

Yeah we debated this earlier when the top 100 players came out …the criteria for a low CMP % is not the same for all WR’s, as what they do and how they are used so different …

Kenny to me has his peers or like used comparisons …for me… currently they are

Mike Evans , D.K Metcalf , R.Anderson, DJ Chark…

It’s why I loved Chase Claypool this year …if we are not going to take care of Kenny then ignoring this type of WR the last two drafts is Quinn not having the foresight yet again…

2 Likes

I’m happy you brought this up.

Comparing wide receivers straight up is hard.

It’s like comparing a point guard to a center in basketball.

It’s why I don’t like comparing the next gen stats of receivers unless they are usef similarly

2 Likes

Yep …It’s like you know KG is not breaking ankles at the line of scrimmage or ripping Turf with his razor sharp routes …but be damned in situations that suit Kenny’s skill set vertical routes , fades , down and long …contested catches either because they know it’s coming or because they have a stellar CB etc…the guy is Gold for us .

He would be a total monster with Tennessee , Tanny, Henry & Golladay he will have many suitors should we do anything but resign or tag him

1 Like

Yeah, there’s 31 other QB’s that would love to have KG, he makes your QB look better. Throw the ball-up and more times than not, KG will come down with it.

KG’s production is not dependent on Stafford, he’s going be good in any system with any QB that throws him the ball.

Of course WR’s are going to look better when they have a better QB as opposed to some crap QB throwing them the ball…but there’s nothing special about Stafford and Kenny’s skillset. Kenny will be great here or somewhere else, he’ll ball no matter.

3 Likes

I really liked Claypool too and was blown away by his combine.

1 Like

LOVE Stafford, but still completely agree with this.

1 Like

Perhaps Sheila put the kabosh on Quinn making the deal now…

Don’t get me wrong. I’d love to have the kid but… there’s enough holes in his game that I would seriously consider moving on if his asking price is to high.

Like Glasgow, who had suitors, and got paid. I’m sure KG will too. But like Glasgow do you move on and draft the next stud WR? … I think BQ might just be in this camp. I guess time will tell.

And that’s “churning” the roster…but in this case, WR is already a position we’re not deep at. You want to get better and we already have a huge need for WR’s next year, even if we did resign KG…and so out of dire need, KG is probably asking too much but that is all apart of “negotiating”, right?!?
And maybe KG doesn’t really want to be be here and much like Suh, we’ll have to tag him and draft WR’s this year and next to find capable players at the position, that might be what KG wants anyways. I mean really, only KG and his agent know what KG wants…either to play for another year and get out or sign a long-term deal here.

True … and I’m all for keeping him if the money makes sense but … let’s keep in mind that if he’s asking for somewhere in the 20+ mil range that a top WR is getting then we have to weigh that cost.

Look at it like this.

KG = 22 Mil

MJ = 9 Mil
Tate = 8.5 Mil
Amendola = 4.9 Mil
Total = 22.4 Mil

That’s what Tate, MJ and Amendola made in 2020. Which is better? keep in mind you still have to have two other WR’s to pay next to KG. Let’s say you go cheap and put two rookies next to him at a cost of 3 Mil total.

Which is better KG + 2 rookies for 25 mil.
Or 3 veteran WR’s like Amendola, Tate and MJ?

1 Like

Let me add that next years FA has a bunch of quality WR’s expected to hit the market and next years draft is loaded with WR talent as well.

Air? you brought up that KG catch % rate is low…it is not THIS season, but his career % was in the mid-high 50’s . so my question is would you let KG go and just land another WR this next offseason, which is loaded with them? OR keep-pay KG?

In my opinion the only free agent WRs that I’m aware of who are capable of replacing Golladay are Chris Godwin and Allen Robinson. JuJu is a solid number 2, but I’m talking about guys who can replace KG. The other two will get paid similarly to KG. As far as the draft class, it’s a crap shoot.

I’d rather keep the chemistry and pay KG, let Marvin and Danny walk and spend some mid round magic beans on the crap shoot.

Maybe I’m forgetting some more talented WRs in FA? Let me know.

I think cost is the deciding factor.

Keep in mind that KG has a catch rate of 71.4% so far this season. This ranks him 42nd amount eligible WR’s. His route running is nothing to get excited about. But he’s a big physical WR who wins contested balls at a far above average rate. Which is nice to have in the red zone.

I’d definitely keep KG if I could get him for 14-16 mil a year… But at 22-23 mil I’d tag him and let him play a year on the tag. Meanwhile I would draft a WR to play opposite him.

I’d also look to get younger with Marvin Jones and Amendola. You can’t keep two aging WR’s maybe bring one back if the cost is right.

I like KG … I hope we can keep him and pair a quality possession type WR to go with him in the draft. But I do not think he’s worth north of 16 mil a year. I wonder if BQ thinks this way as well.

1 Like