Penei Sewell...would you draft him at 7?

I’m totally fine taking the best OT in the draft if we can’t trade down and the board falls that way. I doubt he gets past 3 or 4, but I’d take it for sure.

3 Likes

This is where I’m at as well. It’s fun to think about since there would be Sewell & Lance there for trade bait.

Couldn’t really complain about that draft. A little of everything–4 defensive players; 2 offensive.

Me too. I liked the 1st and 2nd round picks for sure.

I’d be extremely happy with that draft barring trades.

I’m probably bias being in Eugene but I think he’s the best OT prospect
since Joe Thomas. Total no brainer pick. Still don’t see
him being on the board though.

Yeah. That’s a great draft provided we keep KG.
Moore is going to be a money slot.

A dominant offensive line can cover up a lot of roster problems though. In my life I’ve never seen Detroit construct a dominant line. They’ve had some good ones but never one that can take over a game.

1 Like

I think Detroit is in a good position for a team that wants to trade up for a QB/WR/OT.

1 Like

Sewell is a no brainer if he’s there and no one offers a fair trade. But I honestly would be shocked if Cincy passed on him.

Nixon only makes sense to me if we stay in a 4-3 or a multiple defense but if we’re going to be a 3-4 it doesn’t make as much sense.

I’m a big fan of Jabril Cox but I doubt he makes it into round 3. I’d definitely take him if he did.

It feels like WR is too big of a need to wait until late 3rd round to address. But I like Moore in this spot. He’s a good player and only lasts that long because of his size and is a fairly deep class. However I expect us to go WR sooner.

I do think we go safety and edge at some point in this draft as well. Probably CB too.

Because of our needs at WR and the fact that we have so many needs and so few picks I do believe trading down will be coveted by the Lions.

It would take a big trade offer for me to be okay with passing on Sewell.

2 Likes

My general sense is that the Lions should trade down in the No. 8 to No. 15 range, but not past that. Most trades in that range should net a 2d or high 3d Rd pick to move up.

In the abstract, a deal I’d like would be moving down to No. 11.

Lions get Nos. 11 & 42

Giants get Nos. 7 & 72.

Dead even on the trade value chart.

Lions then have Nos. 11, 41, 42 (back to back in Rd 2 is appealing), and 88.

Another one, though less appealing, would be with WFT, who might move up for a QB:

Lions get Nos. 19, 51, and 74.

WFT gets No. 7 overall.

Lions then have Nos. 19, 41, 51, 72, 74, and 88.

Goff is the type of QB where I would definitely favor O-line over weapons. I think he’d do fine with average weapons and a good o-line. I don’t think he will do well with a poor o-line. The poor o-line in LA is what I think made him “regress”.

1 Like

I would change the #88 for the #72. The team trading up is expected go give up just a bit more when looking to trade up. That would give us 11/41/42/72.

1 Like

That an the run game declining. But I agree the OL was a big part of the issues there.

I agree… and I think it also relates to the running game regression.
I think we all can agree that Todd Gurley was not the same player after 2018 due to his knee.

But… look at all the RB for Rams.

2018 season.
– Gurley was 4.9 ypc.
– CJ Anderson got 7.0 ypc (small sample size… but still…)
– Malcolm Brown was 4.9 ypc.

In other words… Gurley was amazing, but CJ got off the bus and was able to be effective running the ball behind that O-line. And… Brown never came close to 4.9ypc in the next 2 years.

2019 season – Rams O-line was ranked ~30th by PFF
– Gurley was 3.8 ypc
– Brown was 3.7 ypc
– Darrell Henderson had 3.8 ypc

2020 season
– Darrell had 4.5 ypc
– Cam Akers was 4.3 ypc
– Brown was 4.1 ypc

Over the course of a season… a difference of a yard per carry really adds up.
In particular… it shortens the down and distance on a lot of 3rd downs.
It also changes the coverage a defense may choose on any particular play, depending on how much the confidence the defense has to be able to stop the run without committing a safety in the box to help.

5 Likes

Agreed that a ypc is a big difference…but let’s not act like it’s every run is 1 extra yard like a 2 yard run is now a 3 yard run and so on.

If Penei goes against Penisini, is that a major cock-block?

1 Like

I like Slater more. He can play G,C,T. I don’t see the Bengals not taken him anyway. I think we need a play maker more.

Word!