Penei Sewell...would you draft him at 7?

? He will be on a rookie deal for four seasons at which point Decker will be going on 32 years old. You can either move on at that point, extend, or trade him. The cap implications of having two high quality Offensive Tackles won’t be an issue for at least four seasons.

1 Like

No. Next.

Why?

Re-read my post.

Literally took my response. After Lawrence, he is the best player in this draft and has been for a while.

I don’t want a tackle at 7, we have bigger fish to fry. We still have exactly zero proven WR we can count on in 2021 or 2022.

1 Like

He’s not just a tackle. He’s a potential hall of fame LT. Maybe I overrate him. I think he’s really quite special.

1 Like

And play for like two decades. Like Andrew Whitworth for the Rams.

No way he’s there at No. 7.

So what are you going to do with Decker?

I’d play Sewell at RT for two years and then move off of Decker. It’s all a moot point though. Sewell will be gone. Also I’m a bit biased having seen Sewell play live a few times. He was simply unlike any tackle I’ve ever watched play live.

I am definitely not a fan of continuing the musical chairs at LT. To each his own.

Yeah. You’ve been consistent about that. I would generally agree. I just feel as though Sewell is one of the few truly special players in this class.

Well it depends. Are we running Matt Patricia’s “rotate and sub out offensive lineman all game for lesser talents” philosophy, or ya know, a real professional football’s philosophy? Because when you bench Decker for a few drives at least Sewell can slide over to LT!

No really though, if they think Sewell is really THAT good. Like a hall of famer type guy who’s head and shoulders above the other options on the board - I’m fine with the pick. Start him at RT. Crosby is already the perfect swing tackle. It’s not necessarily what I think most of us would choose, but I’m also ok with it personally.

If he is Anthony Munoz ish as you say, he’s gone before 7.

I just want Carolina to either swap with us for a 3rd and 3rd next or trade down to Miami. Git them 3 QB gone before we pick plus Sewell plus PItts. Hello DeVonta Smith.

Actually I hope Phily trade Ertz for a 3rd as is the rumored price and they grab Pitts. Add that to Carolina trade down and we have a real chance at Chase.

I think he’s long gone by the time we pick but I’d move Decker to RT if we did draft him …Decker played some RT at Ohio state so he experience at RT.

1 Like

I think if someone has to become one of the best to ever play the position in order to justify the pick…you might want to reconsider the pick. My 2 cents.

1 Like

That’s the requirement in Detroit. Stafford, Pettigrew, Okudah… They have to be the best ever, or at least in the conversation like Sanders and CJ.

Honestly I don’t think that’s a fair statement.

Okudah and Pettigrew were both drafted higher than normal. Very very few TE’s are drafted round one and CB’s at 3OA. So I think it’s fair expectations were high.

Stafford was a 1OA pick… expectations are always high for any player drafted 1OA.

It’s not like the Lions drafted a TE round 3 and fans expectations were he had to be the best ever.

Or a CB drafted late round one. Or even a QB drafted out of the top 10. Expectations would be far lower.

It’s not like expectations were unrealistic or unwarranted. Expectations were justified based on draft status.

Which is what I think Wes was saying in his post.