PFF review Lions vs Bears

That and they were plugging him everywhere game one

He played 10 edge snaps, Rushed 13 snaps from LB, 38 snaps in the box and 29 coverage snaps

That’s a rookie in his first game playing almost every position in the middle D

I’d like someone to explain to me why Sewell was a better choice than Slater.

I mean its not like some experts weren’t saying Slater was better before the draft. Jeremiah comes to mind.

What were seeing is why you have to be careful taking younger players over experienced ones IMO who’ve been around the block. I mean yeah, maybe Sewell ends up better than Slater in two years. But right now, we have to worry about whether Sewell will be good at all. That’s the danger in projecting top 10.

Yeah I have been pleasantly surprised with him. Been our most consistent lineman. Isn’t that the guy Sheila challenged in the off season. Told him we needed sacks or something. Just remember reading that .

1 Like

Dominance at a less advanced age typically favors very, very highly in Moderna’s player evaluation modeling. I mean an Outland trophy in his age 18/19 season is absolutely insane.

Also the way he moves at 330lbs is very very rare.

Thanks, that is interesting. It makes sense, but does that mean you draft essentially freshman who dominate? His circumstances were unique with Covid.

I mean in an ideal world, and I expect ideal with a top 10 pick, you want a guy who dominated early but also has significant experience in college and a body of work. Right?

I guess we can only wait and see on this one.

Can you ever recall a Lineman that young playing that well? I really struggle to come up with a comp.

As to your greater question, I’m not entirely sure. Take Derek Stingley in 2019. One of the more dominating performances I’ve ever seen from a Freshman corner. He’s still super talented but his play has been significantly more uneven the past two years.

This is what I think too. Seeing how to take advantage of him could be showing up on film
Also he’s played some pretty good guys and RQ is no slouch either

1 Like

Given lions , and NFLs actual track record with top 10 picks

You’re expectations might be what’ll lead you to disappointment

In an ideal world
Every draft pick is a steal of the draft

In reality in nfl
Every draft pick is a gamble

Because nfl hasn’t figured out a better system

Sewell is struggling right now, but that’s not a huge concern for me personally. I expect him to be up and down. Playing left tackle in the NFL at age 20 is absolutely positively going to be hard af. Keep battling young fella

1 Like

“Penei” is Samoan for “he who blocks many penis’s”. He’ll be fine.

Ding, ding, ding. Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

PFF is great for the hoard of smug pseudo-intellectuals who want to be a know-it-all while actually knowing very little.

In their minds, PFF ratings are their mic-drop moment. How can you possibly argue that 75 isn’t better than 60?

1 Like

Some people are obsessed with numbers. Once they have a number they hold onto it for dear life. Then when you try to point out what’s wrong with their number they say “well having a number if better than not having a number.” Well when the number was flawed in how it was derived…yes it can be worse than not having a number. Far worse.

I swear you could do a poll of 10,000 Ohio State students with questions of how they feel about U of M. Some chucklehead will run with the data, and will not want to hear one word about how flawed the data is. “These are paid professionals!!!”

I think a lot of it is the difference between memorizers and critical thinkers. For so long, schooling has measured learning efficacy in a way that conflates memorization with comprehension. This leads to a lot of people who have been christened as “smart” when they’re really just good at 'membering lists.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone here thinks PFF is objective truth or the ‘end all’

I’d wager most if not all here treat it like opinion and interesting data to consider

I think you’re generally correct in that there aren’t many here that take PFF numbers as gospel.

But most folks here have a level of football knowledge that grossly exceeds the average, so it’s not a good sampling of what’s out there for commentary.

1 Like

Strongly disagree. Stick around for the offseason when the group think is “this rookie coaching staff is good for at least 5 extra wins over last year” and “Perriman is an under the radar signing who can replace Marvin Jones production at less than half the cost.”

It beats the old comments section at mlive but it’s pretty on par with talking football at your local Detroit area gas station.

Anyways, Parsons is really good and has hit the ground running. I still think Sewell is going to be an all time Lions great and that’s good enough for me.

1 Like

Well, I think even bringing up Perriman shows an extra level of being a fan

I thought Perriman could’ve been a sneaky good signing based off of his last sixteen games of production. Whoops.

2 Likes