Police issue arrest warrant for Browns' Odell Beckham Jr

New Orleans police issue arrest warrant for Browns’ Odell Beckham Jr.

play

0:00

/

1:56

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28496532/new-orleans-police-issue-arrest-warrant-browns-odell-beckham-jr

12:16 PM ET

Jake TrotterESPN Staff Writer

New Orleans police on Thursday issued an arrest warrant for Cleveland Browns wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. on a complaint of simple battery.

Video surfaced this week showing Beckham slapping the buttocks of a Superdome security guard in the LSU locker room after the Tigers’ national championship victory over Clemson on Monday in New Orleans.

The New Orleans Police Department public affairs office confirmed that the security guard filed the complaint.

Louisiana statute defines simple battery as battery committed without the consent of the victim. Punishment in Louisiana can include a fine of no more than $1,000 and imprisonment for no more than six months, or both.

“We are aware of the incident and have been in touch with Odell and his representatives on the matter,” the Browns said in a statement issued Thursday. “They are cooperating with the proper authorities to appropriately address the situation.”

Beckham was also captured on video passing out money to several LSU players immediately after the Tigers’ 42-25 victory.

EDITOR’S PICKS

Burrow: OBJ handed out real cash to LSU players

The university’s athletic department issued a statement Wednesday, saying it was aware of video showing “apparent cash” being given to players by Beckham and that it has been in contact with the NCAA and the Southeastern Conference regarding the matter.

“We are aware of the situation regarding Odell Beckham Jr. interacting with LSU student-athletes and others unaffiliated with the team following the championship game Monday night,” the LSU statement said. "Initial information suggested bills that were exchanged were novelty bills. Information and footage reviewed since shows apparent cash may have also been given to LSU student-athletes.

“We were in contact with the NCAA and the SEC immediately upon learning of this situation in which some of our student-athletes may have been placed in a compromising position. We are working with our student-athletes, the NCAA and the SEC in order to rectify the situation.”

An LSU spokesperson on Tuesday morning initially had told the Baton Rouge Advocate that the money being handed out on the field by Beckham, a former LSU star, was not real.

But on the Barstool Sports “Pardon My Take” podcast, LSU quarterback Joe Burrow said the cash was real. If the money being doled out by Beckham was real, it would be a violation of NCAA bylaws. Cash is an example of impermissible benefits that are prohibited by the governing body.

1 Like

Lol

This is ridiculous.

The cops never should have busted LSU’s chops for stogies in the locker room and the complaining cop is being insanely thin skinned.

Withe the myriad problems facing the NOPD, this is madness.

1 Like

It wasn’t a cop. It was a security guard lol

1 Like

Probably a cop working a security detail. It’s New Orleans, baby, you can hire cops to be your private security guards.

1 Like

Idk, did you watch the video? He smacked that dude’s ass hard!

It wasn’t a congratulatory pat on the rear, he wound-up and smacked that dude like we did as teens.
OBJ brings it on himself. I hope he goes to jail. The dude is a complete moron.

1 Like

I saw it. I very much stand by my original post.

1 Like

Ok, cool.

OBJ was clearly doing it to be a pest. He deserves what he gets, total moron.

3 Likes

Between this and the handing money out to players, OBJ looks like a jackass. I don’t blame the security guard for filing charges… Easy payday.

1 Like

A pest to who? The cigar patrol?

1 Like

I agree with you Jeff. This is weak and that maybe battery by definition only. Definitely not an assault. This cop is being a baby. (security guard) is he a cop or security guard because I’ve read both? I think he’s an off duty cop playing security. Anyway to get on the kids the way he did and then to file a complaint over that weak ass crap. Very thin skinned and petty. I think it says more about the cop than OBJ and I hope this crap effects his future employment as a security guy.

Now OBJ on the money front was stupid. It’s just plain terrible that OBJ put those kids in a compromising position like that.

1 Like

This just shows the changes society has made in recent years. I’m sorry but what this guy did to the reporter is not sexual assault. Should he have done it? … no … is it offensive to some… sure… but that’s not assault of any kind in my mind… he should apologize.

In today’s society anytime you touch another it can be viewed as assault.

In sports a slap on the behind is common and a form of affection.

When I was in school we had a coach/teacher push a player down and then kick him. Hard too. The school took the stance that the kid probably deserved it. Which he didn’t. That coach was a real ass. Nothing happened to the coach and several players came forward to complain about it. When I was in school you got paddled in school, slapped with rulers and everyone was always grabbing and patting asses. Boys and girls alike. Adult and kids too. No one was offended, upset or cried about it.

Today everything is offensive and if you brush against someone it’s sexual assault. It’s hard to believe how much this has changed in my lifetime.

1 Like

Come on.
OBJ wasn’t slapping the guy on the butt in celebration, he wanted to interfere and instigate, as soon as he did he stepped back like “what you gonna do?”

1 Like

I wish that cop would have taken the bait.

I think he would have found out quickly that his authority wasn’t quite as powerful as he thought it was. He probably would have had a nice new dent in his skull if he went at OBJ.

OBJ is a jackass, no doubt about it. The cop was the bigger jackass though. Those kids just won the national championship and he couldn’t wait to get in there and start swinging his dick around. While I do respect authority, it’s hard to respect that kind of authority. I think it would have been a nice life lesson for him to realize that, in that locker room at that time, he was not quite as in charge as he thought he was. If the cop simply would have worried about serving and protecting rather than swinging his dick everything would have been fine. I know everyone will want to blame OBJ because he’s a jackass, but imo the cop was the 1st domino and it never needed to be pushed.

Last thing. OBJ had to be drunk, right? I mean, his behavior that night was pretty ridiculous and bizarre. Could he possibly be that big of an idiot when he’s sober?

Last, last thing. If the cop does win some sort of payday for this nonsense I hope it doesn’t work out as well for him as he thinks it will.

1 Like

Interfere and instigate with what though? The jackwagon cop telling the national champions not to smoke celebratory cigars in the locker room?

OBJ is a recent alum of the National Champions and was in all likelihood quite welcome (at least I haven’t heard anything). He was celebrating and everyone was having a good time. Literally no one was complaining.

Officer Kumpke was butting in to tell LSU to tone it down after winning the biggest game of their lives in their own back yard.

Slap on the butt? Dumbass was lucky the D-Line didn’t gave him a swirly and tape him to the goal post.

1 Like

You don’t put your hands on someone else without their consent. If you do, then you’d better be prepared to face the consequences.

On a scale of 1 to Keith Richards, how messed up was OBJ? I’m going with a solid 7.

4 Likes

The same people that are saying the cop was on a power trip are the same ones that’ll bitch if a player assaults a woman. It’s the entitled behavior that leads to these aggressions. People want to let the little tbings go and freak out when they manifest themselves into bigger issues. If OBJ came out and said he was tipsy and shouldn’t have done it, then I’m all for him paying whatever fine they hand him and let it be. But he won’t, he’s the poster child for crazy behavior bc of an entitled lifestyle.

1 Like