POLL: How would you grade the Browns' trade of WR Donovan Peoples-Jones?

I’m not surprised that this trade is getting so many poor grades in that poll. DPJ has never played with QB, or played in an offense that can fully show his skill set…he is now.

If he sticks around, he will play a big part of our success over the next 5 or 6 years.

3 Likes

I think people see the Browns “giving away” a guy who caught 61 passes for 839 yards, 13.8 ypr, and who was suffering from poor QB play.

1 Like

I would be pissed if I was a browns fan. I would imagine that Watson isn’t very happy either.

I think that they were lucky to get what they did. I like the guy, but he’s had one decent year. It happened to be last year, but he’s not quick or sudden, he doesn’t get great separation. He’s a great red zone target, great blocker, and he’s a hard worker with hands of glue, something that another Lions receiver has struggled with…not naming any names, but it’s not St. Brown, Reynolds, Raymond, Green, LaPorta, Wright, Mitchell, Gibbs, Montgomery, Netflix, Skipper, or Sewell. Not you either Practice Squad guys, not you Water Boy, not you fans in the stands… :eyes:

Overall, he’s a rental who has to pick up the offense mid-season and lacks outstanding physical tools. The compensation, imo, is slightly higher than what you would like to see. A seventh round pick with a conditional upgrade would have been more appropriate, just my opinion. Still, you have to love his hands and that he reels in the catch when he gets his hands on the ball. It would be awesome if every wide receiver on the team could catch like him as a minimum baseline. :wink:

1 Like

Browns fans not psyched.

2 Likes

If the Lions finish roughly where projected, after adding in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th Rd comp picks, the Browns are probably looking at No. 200 overall.

To me, a small price to pay for an accomplished WR who can help the team now.

3 Likes

it’s gonna be hilarious when he becomes a bigger part of the offense than jamo

2 Likes

I don’t know about hilarious, but it would be a welcome and pleasant surprise. At this point, I don’t see Jamo being anything more than a gimmick play player.

1 Like

Villain!
2025 6th round pick for Marvin Jones Jr 7 years ago?
Hell yes!

5 Likes

I see this as a positive for Jamo. First, it takes the immediate pressure off of him. Second, it puts long term pressure on him.
He now will have plenty of time to work on his craft. DPJ will take most of his snaps for the foreseeable future.
Make no mistake, DPJ is WR2 within 3 weeks.
Jamo gets to watch how 4 Pros practice and prepare…but, he’s on the clock.
The team would be crazy not to resign JRey.
I don’t think Lif is going anywhere. He’s a baller.
DPJ is a stud! He just took the pressure off of the team. He is the missing piece. He’s the piece we all hoped Jamo would become, and personally, I still hope he becomes.
It would be awesome to go into next season with St., DPJ, JRey, Lif, Jamo, and Green.
I liked the move when they made it, and I love it as it sinks in.

2 Likes

They’re also pretty different. They’re both dangerous down the field threats (assuming Jamo’s hands tick back in the direction of his Bama days). But Jamo is potentially one of the league’s great separators whereas DPJ is more like a Mike Williams-lite.

Haven’t seen @JD9’s reaction to the trade. I assume that he’s like adding this type of guy.

From a standpoint and filling out a skill set underrepresented by the former room, this move really is damn near perfect.

Kenny Golladay seems a more apt comparison

1 Like

So, we have the #2 Offense. You sure about that?
I’m looking at the paper team, getting a stiffy.
I’ll tell you how big this move is. We’re the #1 Offense in 4 weeks.

4 Likes

Ok. Same type of receiver. Neither is perfect. DJP is more explosive than both by a good bit. Makes you wonder if there’s more separation ability with better technique and scheme. But he’s definitely go more shiftiness.

And while DJP is shorter he’s got longer arms than either and is a vastly superior leaper. At least in a testing setting.

So I think he can help us but there is a scenario in which last year was the ramp up to the emergence of a Williams/Jomes/Golladay level WR and it was simply interrupted by awful QB play.

1 Like

AJ Brown.

DPJ is a little taller, and less thick, but the styles are similar.

Before I get crucified, I’m not trying to suggest that he’s as good as AJ Brown. Just saying that they have similar styles.

DPJ wore Lions jerseys as a child. This is his team. This is his dream. His family and friends are going to be watching him play for their team.
That young man is as happy as Hutch. Maybe happier. He just left QB hell for the #2 NFC seed.

3 Likes

Our offense, and QB are miles ahead of anything he’s ever had. Even in college.

2 Likes

He doesn’t separate like Brown. And as you alluded to he’s just not anywhere close to that level of player. I do think there is average number 2 WR upside in there potentially. More likely a high, level third option at WR.

1 Like

Yep. If DPJ were two or three inches taller, the room would in fact appear perfect. Close enough though.

Also, eff if I’m typing DPJ capitalized every time I refer to him. Imma call him Peeps. Or maybe Donno. Maybe we need a poll.