Poll: Who would you take in the second

If Willis can be as good as people say he can be. Offer LAR pick for #36 pick Willis and still have 46 for hopefully Dean and at 97 get Joseph or Cook

3 Likes

This team needs to add a starting LB to this defense. The current group as is, is likely good for 2-3 losses alone…our LB core is baaaaaad, rrrreally baaaaad. I love getting Williams, but I’m not as stoked by giving up chances on getting as much high end defense as possible. That said, if the team is still in tank mode to be in the top QB hunt next year, then I guess trading away beans for a possible top of the class WR isnt bad at this point.

1 Like

I don’t even want it to happen. I want the Lions to get CJ Stroud next year

You hoping for the Lions to go 3-13-1 again then? Only way they’re getting close enough to even sniff Stroud unless he pulls a Rattler.

1 Like

More than one way to skin a cat. You can win more than three games and still get Stroud

Howell, strong, Ridder, Willis, Cole Kelley still there

5 qbs that could become starters

I think the Lions pass on the first 3…kelley could be a selection later

I like everyone on that list, especially the safeties.

I’m so friggin pumped! Can’t believe the lions got 2 electrifying playmakers last night! We may have somehow landed the best offensive and defensive playmakers in this year’s draft last night.

:partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

1 Like

That way also includes a willing partner. Chances are, if you’re picking high in the draft, you have a ? at the QB position. If the Lions are anywhere near .500, the cost to move up to #1/#2 is going to be astronomical, assuming one of the teams there isn’t dead set on taking Stroud.

1 Like

They may not have to move up at all. You would have thought the same thing about Justin Fields last year and look what happened. Fields was there for the taking at #7:man_shrugging:

The lions clearly had interest in Willis. That obviously doesn’t mean they will trade up for him or even take him at 46, but not sure how that can be ruled out.

1 Like

Goddell even mixed up willis’ name with Willaims when he announced jameson being selected. Many thought the Lions were trading up for Willis

1 Like

Fields was not an elite QB prospect to me. He was my least favorite last year. Willis > Fields IMO

3 Likes

This! 32 teams have clearly decided he is nowhere near Lance

That said- value is getting better

I’d take Fields every time and it’s not even close for me

2 Likes

I never understood the Fields hype. I was extremely happy when we passed. Just something about him didn’t sit right with me.

2 Likes

This draft-

We dont have any starting caliber LB on the team. Zero. We have 1 safety and a bunch of shamalamadingdong.

We just put the Oooh Mow Mow back into our smile, with Hutch and Williams…so that is why. That is why-y-y Im a happy camper, but damn, that back 7 is SKETCH. Get them some help Obi-Wan Holmes, you’re our only hope.

I woke up this morning in 1978 apparently…

Next year-

If Goff is driving the struggle bus off the cliff early, could you see him beanified? Hard to sell if he sucks again though. More likely that we wait until the offseason to alter our bargain with him. Search your feelings on this, but with the 7ish wins, we will, after the trade fireworks of this draft, be all " Well…we’re waiting…" on Holmes to make a big trade up for QB. At that point, we’ll have total consciousness, which is nice.

3 Likes

Yeah, I mean, I agree with everything you said. I was really expecting (and hoping) for defense at 2, 32, 34 just based on how bad the defense is. I can’t blame the Lions for trading up and snagging Williams though, if he’s healthy, he’s maybe the WR1 of this draft class. The Lions need serious infusion of elite players on the team and I can’t knock them for essentially moving a third round pick to get a potentially gamebreaking WR.

I, personally, can’t see the Lions going QB at 46, even if Willis is on the board…because like you said…look at the back 7. It’s bad. And I’m not a huge Tracy Walker fan, so I feel even worse about it than most.

Goff really needs to play well next year. 1, to cement that he’s the guy here. or 2, to make him ‘beanified’. The Lions have a pretty easy schedule and with (hopefully) less injuries and additions of Hutch and Williams/Chark, should be able to push .500. I think it’ll be asking a lot to move up into 1 or 2 for Stroud/Young, so let’s hope the QB class as a total is as good as some people say it is, especially if Goff is more Goof.

2 Likes

Agreed. He could be Our Guy long term if he lights it up next year and that is more likely than Holmes Jedi Mind Tricking another GM (like he did the noob in Minny yesterday) into a low enough pick to get a QB. Williams is a PUP guy though, so it wont all really come together as a finished product until after the trade deadline, so we need Goff to sack up.

23 FA sure smells like lead dog LB and Brockers replacement as well as a safety.

1 Like

This will be the last I push Willis here, but to me he downside is Jalen Hurts. That is a solid NFL QB. His upside to me is Michael Vick without the baggage. At this point in the draft, I think he is more then worth the risk. I will be the first to say I will support whatever they do and I trust their opinion way more then my own. They are the professionals and I actually have faith in them. With that said, if I was making the decisions, this is what I would do.

Ram 2023 1st, our 2023 4th for the 33rd pick.

33 - Malik Willis
46 - Dean/Anderson
97 - Kerby Joseph/Bryan Cook/Nick Cross

I would then package our 5th and 6th to move up for a TE. That shoudl get us into the late 4th round.

4th - Likely/Woods/Dulcich
comp 6th - Eric Johnson, DT

That fills your most glaring holes and you still have your top 3 picks in 2023. With this offense, Goff is going to have a solid year this year. Assuming this staff believes Malik is ready for 2023, Goff will fetch a solid haul on the QB trade market. I could see us netting a 1st from someone like the Colts or Commanders in 2023 for Goff with some added sweeteners (maybe a 2nd on top of the 1st?). Using the Rams pick to get Willis likely means we will be getting some form of captial back by trading Goff in 2023. I personally would swap a young QB with immense upside on a rookie contract out for Goff.

Now I’ll drop the Willis talk and see what happens tonight.

2 Likes