Positional value at the top of the first round matters -- how can Lions fans, of all people, not get this?

Hell GIF by Steve Harvey TV

Look at Josh Allen’s rookie year compared to Zach Wilson’s year. Nearly identical stats.

1 Like

But Zach Wilson doesn’t have Allen’s tools.

Allen had a way higher ceiling that he’s now hit.

Same with Malik Willis. Ridiculously high ceiling.

1 Like

This board will lose it’s mind if we take Willis at 2.

If Hutch is out at 1, then I think Holmes plan is

Take a ceazy good trade back offer

Thibs

Hamilton

at this point. Combine may or may not change that order.

1 Like

Or maybe Mr Peacekeeper, it’s just roll the dice on Willis? Whatchu talking’ ‘bout?

Thinking Im changing that to Peacemaker…

I think they have Johnson ahead of Hamilton

That is possible. Walker could be there too…

KT’s attitude is fine. Sure he takes some plays off but Eugene is less than 200k people. When a kid is a problem we hear about it. Everyone knew that Carrington was a bad seed before the **** hit the fan. His motor isn’t plus, plus and he has other interests in life. You can work around that. I do believe he is a good bit more talented than Hurch. But ultimately the opportunity to reinforce our cultural gains while still getting a very talented edge is what pushed me towards Hutch.

Yeah I pretty much feel exactly the same.

I’ve brought this up several times but I don’t think it’s attitude or laziness…. I think it’s frustration.

I’ve been re-watching a lot of his games. The ones where his effort is questionable are the games where he’s frustrated with his matchup. So his effort level goes down out of frustration. That’s a legitimate concern for sure but I think I can explain it away.

Oregon isn’t known for developing DL. Rarely do they have a DL get drafted let alone have one drafted on day one. KT is a prime example of their piss poor DL coaching. He’s a high level prospect but he hasn’t developed very many pass rush moves. He wins mainly off his speed. I see a guy trying to use his hand but one who hasn’t developed the techniques to use those hands effectively.

So when he runs up against an athletic OL that gives him fits. He gets frustrated and just starts going through the motions.

In games where his athleticism is winning matchups he’s high motor all game.

Id like to think this is coachable. Id like to think he just hasn’t learned enough and hasn’t learned how to be a pro.

But that’s a legitimate concern.

If the Lions think he’s coachable than they should take him if Hutch is gone. He’s worthy of a top 5 pick based solely on his athleticism.

I’ve been watching a lot of J. Johnson too and I do not think Johnson is getting enough talk. I think Johnson is a Dan Campbell type of guy. He’s explosive, physical and gritty. His development is better than KT’s and he just looks like a guy who loves football.

2 Likes

and a safety… at #3 OA.

1 Like

Hutch or Thibs at 2.

Best value for the slot and while I have concerns on Thibs I think the coaches will coach him up. And, tbh, I think if the coaches are as good as many think at coaching them up, which includes me, I may prefer Thibs as he has a higher ceiling imo.

But either one should do well in the nfl.

I think you underestimate Zach Wilson’s “tools.” And it wasn’t the Josh Allen part of the equation. I agree that Allen is probably the top of the heap when it comes to being an all around Madden like character package. I would say Willis and Wilson have some trade offs with eachother that make them each unique in what they bring to the table.

1 Like

I’m disappointed in Hock so far. The potential for the O-line (including him) is the top of the league.

2 Likes

I think we’d be all over Zach Wilson if he came out this year. Not fair to judge him yet. I’d give the Jets 2OA for Zach Wilson and their second rounder. We’d still have three picks in the top 40 with a deep receiver and edge class.

The issue with Thibs is that he is as good as he feels like being. The motor isn’t always there. Can our staff motivate him? When he tries he is the most dominant player on the field, when he is being lackadaisical he can be blocked by a TE. Was he hurt still? Lots of questions heading into the draft imo.

You don’t see many examples of him taking plays off his first two years but he’s like, many, many prospects once they establish their draft stock: he made some business decisions this year. I’ve said it before but so did Derwin James, Jalen Ramsey, Chris Jones, on and on and on. Stingley might have done it a little too much. Sewell, Slater, Chase and Parsons literally opted out of playing an entire season when given the opportunity because they’d already established their stock. So did Nick Bosa. If KT had that option this year he would have taken it, IMO, and none of this would have been an issue.

2 Likes

I’ll cut Hock some damn slack…we had Matt Pat and Bob Quinn…then we had Goff who was very shaky in his start as a Lion. Follow that up by playing only our foundation pieces…I mean gees- Hock wasn’t going to be all World.

I watched some Jermaine Johnson film today. That kid is impressive. His 1 on 1’s at the senior bowl were dominating, just throwing top prospect o-lineman around. I think he’s going to be shooting up draft boards. And the Lions coaches had a front row seat and got to know the kid at the senior bowl.

I like his attitude as well. He clearly wants to be great.

2 Likes