Positional value at the top of the first round matters -- how can Lions fans, of all people, not get this?

That’s an interesting hypothesis.

If it’s true, I think it’s more of a concern than you’re presenting. If KT is just used to dominating by showing up and gets mopey when he isn’t the awesomest, the NFL is going to be a helluva transition.

It’s all about how he reacts to that challenge. Sure, it might be coachable, but I don’t think it’s a great sign if a guy’s instinct is to throw it in neutral when things aren’t going his way rather than doubling down on the effort.

2 Likes

Heard thibs interview on nfl radio today. If he is the consolation prize i can be happy with that.

This dude has a hairstyle where you can CLEARLY see what you look like bald…so tell me…when you know the Lions are going BLPA, why have you not shaved your head yet? C’MON, MAN!!!

1 Like

I really don’t want to stay at 2 I want to trade down. Its a terrible year to be at 2 too so while in some years we could get a king’s ransom. this ain’t the year. So typical Lions luck. We’ll be okay though.

2 Likes

I think we all would love to trade down, just like when we picked Okudah, most of us wanted a trade down. That’s just much easier said than done. Rarely do teams trade up for non QB’s. And no QB’s to trade up for in this draft.

1 Like

Malik Willis is our best shot. If people are questioning him for us at 2, then some other team is thinking the same thing.

1 Like

100% disagree how many good teams pic in the Top 10 ? Apples to Oranges response.

Picking for position value and ignoring team needs is why many teams fail. at the end of the day you have to put the best team on the field , if you leave holes in your roster it will hurt you from competing. If your picking top ten every year , its like a ball in chain trying to only pick sertian position because of so called position value. I mean how many LT can team play ? or QBs ? I think following these guide lines is what stops teams from getting better. You pick the guy thats gonna help your team the most period. Picking the same 3 positions every year isn’t gonna help your roster much and is probably the reason your picking there every year.

1 Like

Excellent

And none of it points to winning either

Niners drafted kinlaw and Trey and went to championship game with neither really contributing in the field.

We’d think lions fans would know
It’s not about one football player

1 Like

I’m not sure this is saying much
Pick the guys that will most help your team …

Well yeah, that’s what everyone is trying to do

If you believe you win in the trenches then priority one is in the trenches. Get the best OL and DL you possibly can, which will benefit every other position.

I’ve been all over on this. BPA vs Need, positional value vs BPA …

Heck, I think you have to look at the draft as a whole — where is talent deep, where is it not deep? If not deep you generally want to draft the premium guys earlier no?

This draft is deep at Safety and WR if I’m not mistaken.

I think every pick is a trade off and you have to try to maximize value over the entire draft.

Positional value has to weigh heavily, especially early.

That is a testament to past drafts. And they have been taking defensive lineman and tackles early. They have had 7 picks in the top 17 picks in the last 7 years, and all of them were defensive lineman, offensive lineman and a QB. They have only taken receievers, linebackers and defensive backs when they get to the back of the 1st round and later.

3 Likes

I think the opposite lol. Drafting for need over better players is why teams fail. The Ravens are a great example, they’ve been a BPA team for twenty years now and have pretty much been good that whole time.

Now obviously when you say BPA it’s not pure, 100% BPA. There’s no way the Chargers draft a QB early nor should they. We don’t need any tackles early. The Falcons don’t need to go TE early. Every team has say 2-5 positions they don’t need to upgrade. But the best teams will upgrade their lower-level needs ahead of more dire ones if that’s what their board says.

It’s like for us… if Sauce Gardner, Andrew Booth, Trent McDuffie or Stingley somehow made it to our #32 pick, you nab one in a heartbeat. For me if they start to drop, I trade up for them. CB isn’t our most pressing need, but you can never have enough CBs, things change quickly in defensive backfields, and the talent on those guys is too much to pass up.

1 Like

BPA and positional value should dominate
Ignoring QB for now …
Build OL and DL early in the first

End of first and thereafter… BPA
There isn’t much difference in overall talent within groupings after the very top anyway

Just get your guys — as Holmes would say, just get the guys you love.

Good OP, which is why I go DE or OL at #2.

I genuinely think every single team that passes on Thibodeaux will regret it. I think he’s going to be the best player in the draft. If he’s there, take him.

If the team doesnt like Thibodeaux, then take Evan Neal. I don’t know how they work him in the lineup (Switching positions? Trade?), but that kid is a beast.

1 Like

I said best player for your team, witch Neal is good example. You wanna take Neal for Position value but then you don’t have a place for him to play, so you work him in at Gaurd. Now you just lost your positional value. Hamilton is not the position value you want but he is a player rated top five talent on every board. And it’s a position that has been killing us for years now. He puts your team in a better position to compete. Witch is better value for your team.

With top ten picks I don’t want just sertian positions , I just wanna find a player that will be starting at high level at there position for next 10 years.

And no one can say this is what good teams do, because good teams don’t pic in the top ten very often.

1 Like

Well cost value is different from team value. Sure, it would be great to have Quenton Nelson, Jonathan Taylor, Derwin James, Justin Tucker. Those guys would be valuable additions to our team, make us better, and help us win games. Without a doubt.

But you can’t build a roster that way. You’d wind up with too many expensive players at positions that are traditionally cheaper, which would in turn make it difficult to add guys at positions that are more expensive. You’d have to hit on bargain finds at expensive positions, and then when you hit you wouldn’t be able to keep them because they’d become too expensive because of the position they play.

Just look at the way the Rams are built. They’re something of an extreme example, but all of their highest-paid players are high-value positions. And when they develop someone at a lower-value position, they let him go (Cory Littleton, John Johnson, Safford). The one time they didn’t do this it bit them in the ass hard (Gurley), and Snead has since admitted that he got caught up in the moment and it was a decision he’d never make again.

Team value is player specific (in this case Hamilton). Position value is the cost regardless of player.

On top of all that, Hamilton could bust. No player is a sure thing.

1 Like

Picking one player over another isn’t ignoring team needs.

Bingo - that’s why positional value matters.

If your paying top 5 money a year for say a position that has a low impact on the game than that’s money you can’t spend on a position that has a higher impact on the game. You may have a better player at his position but your fielding a weaker team.

Think of it like a race car. I have a budget. Only so much to spend. I buy the best seat, gauges, doors, fenders, etc but go cheap on my power train and tires. Am I winning many races? Nope … your power train, chassis and tires have the biggest impact on your success.

You may need a seat but do you need the best seat money can buy?

That’s what positional value is.

5 Likes

Well Done Yes GIF by ABC Network

4 Likes

But that’s not what I said, just the opposite, what some are saying positional value is you can only draft sertin positions in the top five.

Say the player with the best overall grade is not one of the so called value position, you pass on him for a lesser player because of his position. Not only is that the highest graded player it is at a position of great need.

But what if you already have the best drive train and tires but you have no fenders or doors . Do you just ignore them and get more drive train and tires and never have a complete car. Or sense you have a great power train and tires you get the doors and the fenders and have a complete car that can win. In stead of a car with a great drive train and another great drive train sitting in the garage not being used. And you can’t compete because you have no doors or fenders.

1 Like

We have a need at DE
That should not be in question.

1 Like