Possibility we only keep 2 QBs?

I know a lot of you don’t like Risdon but it’s a good discussion point anyway, and it would certainly help solve some of the roster crunch issues. I mean let’s be honest if Goff goes down we’re probably screwed anyway, it doesn’t really matter if we only have 1 backup. The only scenario where it might is if Goff has to leave a game but isn’t hurt long-term.

3 Likes

I look at it this way. If you release Blough or Boyle at the cut deadline, is another team really going to sign one of them? I doubt it. First of all they aren’t exactly good, and second of all they wouldn’t know a new teams offensive system after missing all of their training camp. And backups don’t get many reps in the regular season.

The guy you cut, just tell him to stay in shape and be ready in case of an injury and then sign him right back if needed.

Keeping 2 QB’s, allows us to keep another player who might help on special teams or a young player who we are scared of losing.

5 Likes

I see no point in keeping 3.
We’re just as screwed with Rodriguez or Kennedy as with Boyle.
If Goff goes down, season over.

4 Likes

Excuse me!!

Football Shrug GIF by Detroit Lions

2 Likes

He made the point in the article that as bad as they are, they would probably be fairly coveted on the open market. The backup QB landscape is dreggy as hell.

It seems pretty likely the Lions could get Blough to the practice squad.

4 Likes

That’s a chance I’m willing to take. Keep the one who plays the best in preseason. If the other gets nabbed, so be it. We are screwed either way if Goff goes down.

3 Likes

Yeah to me the only issue would be, say Goff goes down but he’ll only be out for like a month. That’s not the end of our season if we can somehow manage to hang on during the four games which seems unlikely, but if you remember we almost beat the Browns and Falcons without him last year, and we were worse then. Those aren’t very good teams, but it’s possible that could be true this year as well. To me that’s the point of a backup, not to take over for a whole season, but to hold the fort so the season doesn’t get ruined.

3 Likes

But we arent saying no backup we are saying why worry about if we get to guy number 3. In that instance i honestly almost prefer fox or kennedy/brown to be put in at qb for pure entertainment value alone.

3 Likes

Exactly! It makes no difference if we get down to #3.
Boyle has 0 wins, and is more likely to throw an interception than a TD.

3 Likes

Thought we only had one QB…

3 Likes

This is why we should have at least invested in a flier / young raw talent. No point in keeping Boyle or blough other than to have a body. So there is certainly no point to keeping 3. Neither is good enough to be a #2… And they’ve been around enough to show us if they will grow (that’s a nope).

2 Likes

I went thru the entire NFL QB landscape… and I can’t find 1 team that I think would cut their #3 QB just before the season opener to sign Blough. Even if…. and that is an “if” Blough was considered slightly more talented than another team’s #3 guy… he still doesn’t have enough upside to choose him over the guy that just went thru training camp with the team.

2 Likes

Playing to win is keeping a guy that will contribute versus a guy that might.

I vote 2 QBs and roll the dice. Aman-Ra can probably be the 3rd string running the wildcat if need be to finish out a game where 2 QBs go down.

2 Likes

You’re probably right I was thinking more along the lines of the QBs that are currently available out there should one of Blough or Boyle join that list. IF a team decides they need a QB, for whatever the reason, they’d probably be one of the better options. I mean they’ve played actual NFL games as opposed to your Jordan Ta’amu’s and Taylor Cornelius’s and the like.

I would be astonished if any team cut a player to make Blough or Boyle a #3. I would be much less astonished if the team cut one of the backups and made a run at someone like Sam Ehlinger or Will Grier

There will be guys out there

1 Like

we do, one that can do anything productive and score.

I strongly dislike our backups…they only keep two GREAT , but sweet baby Jesus get a solid #2 -for once !!!

Keeping Boyle over Blough would be inexcusable.

I mean, fellas, they both suck. :poop:

1 Like