Possibility we only keep 2 QBs?

Cut both and sign Jimmy G for a reasonable price once he’s cut. At least we would have a backup that HAS a chance to win a game for us. Neither of our backups now are very inspiring

If Jimmy G gets cut and can pick his landing spot…

I wouldn’t expect any team to give him full starter money coming off a shoulder surgery.

Therefore… I wouldn’t be surprised if Jimmy waits to sign.

He could command a higher salary if a team had an injury to the starter and still had a roster capable of winning with him.

They guy has made $114 million in the NFL already… seems like he would be wise to wait for the right opportunity this year.
Plus… if he waits and then gets a chance to start to replace an injured QB on a good team… he would have a chance to improve his contract next year.

1 Like

Boyle has $1.75 million of his $2 million salary guaranteed… which is already inexcusable.

Unfortunately… that also makes it more sensible to keep Boyle on the 53-man and add Blough or another QB to the PS to be the emergency #3 QB.

4 Likes

I’m definitely on the keep 1 QB train. If they need someone, sign Steve DeBerg, heck, grab a volunteer out of the stands. That’s pretty much what I think of our backup QB situation.

1 Like

IF you keep two , they both have to be able to be efficient, thoughtful, accurate , to score, to be tough/durable , elusive, and smart with the football. you cannot have one B+ QB starting and behind him a D+ . If you got a Pro Bowl / Super Bowl starter , you back up must be half as good at least.

I assume with 99% certainty that we’re only keeping 2 on the 53, just like we began last year.
That doesn’t mean I’m right, just that I’m certain.

There’s only been 1 year in recent history (last 7 years) where 3 were on at the cut to 53.

Offense 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021
QB 3 3 3 3 3 3 2 2 2 2 3 2 2
1 Like

With the depth that the Lions have at some positions and the fact that other positions are more likely to get hurt, I am in the group that believes 2 QBs is the best way to go into the season. If something happens to Goff then they can cross that bridge when they get there and should worry about it to start the season.

EXACTLY what I was thinking. Get out of my head, bro!

1 Like

Exactly. Ppl need to remember “the punter.”

1 Like

I have been 100% consistent on this. IF you have a veteran QB, and you haven’t just drafted your future franchise QB, then you have NO business keeping three QB’s. I can see protecting a young QB who is your future and needing a bridge QB in between your starting vet who you aren’t phasing out yet and the future.

Maybe if your team is built to take a SB run and you are set at most positions and can’t take the chance of losing even a game or two if your franchise QB is out for a brief stint.

But where we were with Stafford and where we are with Goff, ie Vet starter and no viable future star on the roster, you keep one backup. The reality is neither Blough nor Boyle are good enough to be picked up by any other team even as their backup. It is highly likely that IF Goff goes on IR or is down for a long period of time, that you can put Boyle/Blough in and go get the other guy off the couch, who also knows the playbook. If we keep both of these crap QB’s over our 53rd best position player, I will not be happy with it. With the COVID last year, I will cut them a little slack, but not this year.

1 Like

I’m fine with 2 because let’s face it: If you even need a backup QB for a few games, your season is probably over anyway.

Haha, But my head is full of hair!! Love you buddy!

1 Like

I don’t feel bad for you, man…you could shave that mess off at any point.

Love you too, bro!

1 Like

They 100% would. A QB needy team would … Especially an upcoming opponent or division foe. They would want to gain insight on the Lions new offensive look.

This is just one of the many reasons I do not think it happens.

Fans think this because they are looking at it only from an in game situation. Teams do not look at it that way.

If you cut Blough then you do not have an experienced QB to work your 1st team defense in practice while QB1 & QB2 work with the 1st and 2nd team offense.

If you cut Blough you do not have an experienced QB to work with your scout team and PS players.

The 3rd QB is another set off eyes watching opposing defenses in game or breaking down film in game preparation.

That 3rd string QB is more valuable than fans think they are.

In 2017 when teams were first allowed to only keep two QB’s all but 2 NFL teams entered the season with only two QB’s. Two years later 29 of 32 teams entered the season with 3 QB’s. Why?…. Because they all realized the huge challenge it can create.

One injury and suddenly your struggling to run practices, it’s more difficult to scout opponents and you have one less set of eyes in your QB room for your starter to lean on.

The teams that go two QB’s are almost always teams with an established vet, and established OC who have put tons off film out for opponents to scout AND who feel they have a young enough QB they can stash on the PS to make up for it.

It will surprise me if the Lions actually go this route.

2 Likes

I just want to point out that the Lions tried this with MP. Fans were saying … no way anyone would snatch up Jake Rudock he suck’s.

Rudock did suck and we did manage to stick him on our PS for most of the year. But he was eventually stolen by Mia.

Blough is way better than Rudock. Remember we gave up a draft pick to trade for him.

I bet Blough is signed fairly quickly by one of our up coming opponents. I could see Wash, Min, or SEA doing it. Maybe even Philly.

They want that insight on our playbook and new offense.

Heck Blough might be better than any QB on Seattles roster. I’m assuming they’re planning to tank the season. So they may not be willing to risk it.

If anyone picks up either of our backup QBs, I am comfortable with whomever they cut as our PS QB. Pretty much regardless.

I am totally A-Ok with only keeping 2 QB.

I think Boyle is still the favorite there.

Preseason will decide this.

This is why I wanted to draft Howell as he kept falling. At least we would have had some excitement if we were watching a backup play. Combine that with the smallest chance that he actually becomes a stud. But instead we kept blough and Boyle. One of my only gripes with Brad and Co. I think we could have done better with backups with very minimal capital

1. I wouldn’t cut Blough. He’s better than Boyle.
  2. Boyle will make it through waivers and to the practice squad.

Rudock wasn’t stolen from PS. His PS contract expired and he elected to sign a futures contract with Miami instead of Detroit (if Detroit even offered him a futures contract).

There was never a rule that teams had to keep three QB’s. I remember teams in the early 2000’s a few teams keeping only 2 QB’s and usually having a PS QB.

There was a goofy rule that allowed a 3rd QB to not count against the 45man game day roster and enter the game, but they got rid of that with the 2011 CBA when they increased the game day roster from 45-46.

In 2017, after initial cuts, there were 19 teams that had only two QB’s on their roster.

I’d say the odds are we keep 3 QB’s, but I definitely wouldn’t bet the farm on it.