Post Jet's game mock drafts

Picking #5 now in this simulator until moving up hopefully tonight.

1a - Trade down twice for 2024 beans AND fill a huge need after not resigning Jamaal Williams
1b - After a mini-run of CB’s Porter was best available
2a - Safety that loves to hit
2b - TE that loves to block and can catch
2c - Eventual replacement for Analzone (who we sign for a team friendly contract)
3 - He probably goes before this but more CB help
5 - OT with some size to groom
6a - Would be a nice combo with Bijon
6b - He will likely go higher than this but would be a great rotational piece

You had me until “…after not resigning Jamaal”

8 Likes

Seems to me we also need a guard to replace Vaitai. We have had some guys fill in admirably but not sure they are the long term solution

5 Likes

2 Likes

This mock I did is about as perfect as I thinknwe could do.

4 Likes

We have to keep all of team’s heartbeats. Jamaal is the main one but Anzalone is another.

5 Likes

Uhh

Bo Nix is coming back to Oregon for his final year

rip this mock mouse

3 Likes

I don’t normally post a lot of mocks until after the season’s over but what the hell, they are good for discussion.

I prefer to use the mockdraftdatabase as their rankings are more consensus than PFN’s (plus they take guys out who go back to school like Nix and Nubin). I mean who doesn’t draft Witherspoon in the 3rd round of every draft the way PFN has him rated.

#4 Carter - No explanation necessary.

#18 Branch - I like going Branch early cause the depth at outside CB is much better than the slot/nickel types.

#48 Washington - I know a lot don’t want TE but I say if we want to further establish our identity as a smash mouth run team then we need a guy like him. A true beast blocking TE who doesn’t tip of our plays the way Nelson or Skipper do when we play them there. I think of him more as an extra OT who can actually participate in the pass pattern now and again.

#60 Blu Kelly - Growing to be one of my favorite guys for value (though I think he might really rise through his testing). He’s got that alpha mentality like Porter and Witherspoon and we know he’s a great athlete from his track background. And he’s excellent at the catch point too. To be honest I’m not really sure why he’s not more beloved in the draft community. Son of former Lion Brian Kelly (from the 0-16 team, like MCDC).

#79 Bigsby - A little earlier than I generally like to take a RB but not having a 4th rounder really hurts us here IMO. That’s the sweet spot to me and I’m usually a little disappointed by the guys available later. With Bigsby, Williams, Swift and Jackson/Reynolds, and our badass OL plus Darnell Washington, I think we could easily have the #1 ranked rush offense in the league.

#153 Bainivalu - I actually like that he’s sort of a tackle-sized guy playing guard, we could theoretically use him as our swing tackle as well. He’s got that junkyard dog you like in an OL and while I wouldn’t mind taking one earlier (namely the 3rd-rounder), I think the talent drop-off is steeper at RB than iOL.

#179 Cedric Gray - If you listen to PFF this guy’s a borderline 1st rounder, but on PFN he’s ranked in the 1600s. This is sort of splitting the difference. I think he’ll probably go higher than this after he tests but if he makes it this far he’s the perfect sort of Brad Holmes late pick LB.

#192 Ayedze - Another small school athletic guy, this guy could rise a lot based upon his performance at the Senior Bowl. Brad found Houston last year, this guy’s got a chance to sit the same way.

6 Likes

Works for me. I heard Kelly on the radio in September. Super impressive kid.

2 Likes

We had real trouble running against the jets which is our bread and butter. As good as the OL is that guard spot needs to be solidified. It was exploited by the jets repeatedly.

If Brad is open to small school guys this Ronnie Brown kid is interesting. He can scoot. Definitely top D1 level speed. Best Shepherd Running Back I’ver ever seen! :laughing:

Edit: Guess he’s a JR. That guy should go get some big NIL money.

Mine is still the same even though majority of my picks will most likely be moving “up” by the time the draft rolls around I’m guessing. Also don’t know if Andre Carter will be able to enter.

4 Jalen Carter DT
15 Christian Gonzalez CB
46 Andre Carter III Edge
60 Cooper Beebe OG
78 Sean Tucker RB
146 Jaren Hall QB
166 Luke Musgrave TE
178 Jay Ward S/Nickel

2 Likes

As good as our tackles and Rags has been the guards have let in a lot of pressure. Especially RG

2 Likes

Yeah that guy’s got juice, makes guys look like they’re standing still. Any idea what size he is? He declared for the draft a couple of days ago so he’s definitely in.

1 Like

6’ 190lbs is what he’s listed at so he needs to add 10-15 lbs. if that’s legit. I think it may be bc he does seem to go down on first contact often. Shows some real receiving chops though and when he gets in space he’s really something. Also seems like he might have KR potential as well. Has a three year old and seems to have his head screwed on right. With our later sixth rounder I wouldn’t hate it. Maybe he could be a UDFA guy but if he runs sub 4.4 I’d think someone takes a flier on him late. He’s had a lot of eyes on him due to Badgett being his QB.

1 Like

This is the 2nd time I’ve seen Drew Sanders to us in a draft. He made the switch from DE to linebacker. He’s projected to play the same position as Alex. Speilman would give the okay imo

The Grinch Smiling GIF by The Good Films

Though Houston has made the flamethrowing element less imperative. Still Sanders can do a lot else IMO. He’s going to have to clean up his tackling before becoming a fulltime starter.

1 Like

I guess he can return kicks :thinking: