Potential Lions trade target: Browns CB Greg Newsome

3 Likes

The Lions send No. 73 overall in the 2024 NFL draft and a 2025 fourth-round pick to the Browns for Newsome.

Detroit signs Newsome to a 3-year, $41.5 million contract with $22.5 million guaranteed.

Way too much compensation for a $14M/yr CB . . . I’d expect the comp to be in the ball park to get Sneed from KC (about a 2nd for Sneed)

3 Likes

@CuriousHusker has been all over this one for awhile now, though there’s a link in that article that points to some concerns that might make our FO balk. We’ll see I guess.

Not for a 3rd and 4th… I’ll do a 3rd and pay his 5th year options let him play for 2 years then see what’s going on.

The Lions Coverage Deep State spies on us

Well we’d still get his final first contract year, right?

1 Like

The only way this works is with an extension at time of trade. If you are sure enough to give up a day two pick there shouldn’t be a need to see if you like him. In two years he will cost well over $20M/yr. Since Newsome is scheduled to only make $2.4M in 2024, a 4 yr $58M contract with a fat $20M bonus would be well received.
I wouldn’t give up more than a 3rd rd pick

1 Like

This rumor is picking up a lot of steam. It is being covered by lions and browns outlets

Yes, as well as his 5th year option (can’t imagine doing a trade without exercising the 5th year option, although Atlanta did it when they traded for Okudah).

Still, no desire to do a #73 and 2025 4th. I’d do it for Sneed, but not Newsome.

1 Like

I tried to get this rumor going back in Novemeber

1 Like

This is one of those trades in which you’re really trusting your scouts. He’s only seven months older than Devon Witherspoon so if you make this trade it’s about what you think he can become rather than what he currently is or has been.

3 Likes

Newsome shouldn’t get more than a 4th

3 Likes

Why? It 's very rare for high end 23 year old CBs become available.

1 Like

Ramsey 3rd
Rasul Douglas 3rd gave back 5th
Okudah 5
Gilmore 5

4th seems right where he is at

So we would have to give up late 3 to get him if we want him

Okudah? Come on.

Check the ages of the others. Contracts as well.

2 Likes

Well Im sure you would want to keep Newsome so have to factor that in as well as far as contracts.

He’s not a better CB than Rasul Douglas. Maybe he can develop into one.

Okudah =late 5 so Newsome = late 3 or 4 seems right?

But would rather keep our picks.
Signing Williams and drafting one seems best move if we can’t get Fuller

Wouldn’t offer more than our late 3 this year.

Not sure I agree with that. I think they’re at least in a similar tier and as you implied Newsome’s upside is much higher.

Right and Rasul got a late 3 and they gave back a 5

And he was 29. Whatever. I highly doubt they will trade Newsome for just our own 3rd. Someone will pay more than that. And if they don’t I think the Browns would just keep
him one more year. He’s not expensive in 2024.

I agree with you there. I think they keep him.

Maybe a round swap deal similar to what Jets did last year with Elijah Moore.

If they can get a high 2 and give back a low 3

What would you trade for him if you were Brad?