Potential Lions trade target: Browns CB Greg Newsome

I prefer to keep our Hock pick 73

It’s too valuable of a piece to move down to get more beans for Day 3 to throw darts

Like last year’s pick 55

Or an essential piece to move up to the teens or move up to the top of round 2 to get our Laporta/Branch.

Even for Snead, I’d say our late 3rd +2025 pick

I’m okay with either 3rd and the Swift pick. Seems like I@’ in the minority but I’ve been on this possibility for almost five months so I may have ulterior motives for wanting it to find the finish line.

Definitely great thought process trying to find us a CB. Props for that…

I like your Williams CB Jacksonville idea a lot better than the Newsome one.

Sign 1 and Draft 1. put Moseley on PUP and completely redo that room.

Autry might be another guy that we could take on for a rotational DE instead of trying to get Romeo back for depth.

Yes please on Autry of course. The thing with Newsome is head cost you 2.4m this next year. So for at least one year you’re gettin a 14-15m player for 2.4. So if you want to go get a Hunter you could load up his cap number in year 1 bc you have a cheap solution.

I’m totally fine with Williams as a stopgap approach and then hammer it in the draft.

2 Likes

Denico got 6mil and 7mil his last 2 years. If we let Romeo walk we could afford him on a 1 year deal.

I still would hammer DE2 to replace Charles with either Clowney or Hunter.

I still would draft DE to replace J.Ok. We ran with 7 last year

Hutch… Cominsky … Rookie

Hunter… Paschal

Autry… Houston

Hunter 30
Cominsky 29, Autry 34 on 1 year deals

@Thats2 will say it is overkill, probably is. But if we can afford it why not.

1 Like

I mean, I honestly don’t want to get caught up in the money part of anything. Let Brad cook. If he wants to give two free agents 100mil a piece so be it. I will trust they can handle the cap. Good managed teams work wonders.

Wish it was Ward instead of Newsome. I’d drool over Ward. Newsome is too much of a question mark. Top notch potential though.

1 Like

I think you are vastly underrating the kind of talent we’re talking about here. He went in the 1st round for a reason, and when the Browns played him outside, he popped. They had sky high hopes for him after his rookie season.

But then they drafted Emerson who also popped, and of the three they thought Newsome would be the best in the slot. Well, he struggled. But that’s literally the exact same story as Darious Williams. He gets moved to the slot a lot because of his size and he’s just terrible there. But move him outside and he’s great.

I think it’s an opportunity to get a guy with a ton of upside at a bargain. Maybe more upside than any other CB available. Now like I said above, there’s a link in that article that might indicate some personality flaws which might give us pause, but from a talent perspective I think he’s one of the best outside CBs we can find.

4 Likes

How much you gonna trade for him?

I’d give a 3rd, for sure. Preferably our 2nd one but I’d go as high as 73. Just think of it like you’re drafting him. I mean he’s only 23, there are plenty of guys older than him in this draft.

Again though, I don’t have access to his personality tests or any knowledge about his work habits. I’m just going by his play on the field. There’s a decent chance the FO decides he’s just not a fit.

3 Likes

yeah im fine with Minny’s 3rd

23 year old CB, whos shown to be really good outside before

Def some risk to it, but if we hit, that has really good long term potential for a CB here

1 Like

Cleveland fans seem to think he was a good dude. There was trade request weirdness last .spring but Greg dismissed it as a misunderstanding.

If we pass for Newsome specific reasons it’s probably the tackling.

2 Likes

Get the deal done Brad!!! Let’s bring in a guy this weekend kick off FA lol. Guys can be traded at anytime just don’t get out in the books tell Wednesday.

I’ll meet him in Toledo :joy: today and bring him to Allen Park just take the rest of the day off work. Lol

1 Like

*Put in the books!

Could be fake

2 Likes

He is a great dude, fits the mold of the type this organization regularly looks to add.

My fingers are crossed that they find a way to make the trade happen

1 Like

Good news then. I know Cleveland fans are kind of exasperated with him, but that could be confusion as CH says.

I’ll have to look into his tackling though, that seems like the sort of thing that might be a deal breaker for us.

1 Like

His eyes wander into the backfield a bit too often and Slowik and the Texans took advantage.

He also got out in some pretty bad spots bc of pre snap motion. And then Newsome “had the audacity” to suggest that he thought he played ok in the game.

Browns fans were admittedly quite down on him after that game, but their fans have softened their stance since from what I can tell.

Can’t find that original tweet. I don’t have X so hard to find. Is this the Kalil Mack of 2024 lol

1 Like

It’s a meme

https://twitter.com/DeepWatersOfEL/status/1766346312658698663?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet