Potential Lions trade target: Browns CB Greg Newsome

Digging through a few Browns forums they are really down on him as a tackler. A few called him the worst tackling CB in the league. No doubt that’s standard fan hyperbole, but it seems clear it’s not a strength of his… which makes me wonder if we’ll be in for him. Too bad if not, I really thought he was one of our best options given his age.

Might as well trade for Snead then he’s the real deal right now.

If we are talking late 2 or early 3, I’d rather just draft a CB there we deem fit. And have that 4 year rookie deal.

I still want Fuller & Williams.
Then Snead.

Snead for sure if we can do a late 3 and then a 2025 pick.

After the draft if we swing and miss then we can revisit our options, such as Newsome.

They just traded 2 picks for Jeudy…a maybe they will deal Newsome

O’Neill got to NW a year to late but he may have some channels beyond the norm :man_shrugging:

1 Like

IMO Snead will cost much more in a trade, no matter what compensation is being floated right now. He will also cost a lot more in salary than Newsome, and would have to be paid right now, whereas Newsome could be brought in and, if we pick up his 5th year option, we’d have two years of cost control before we had to decide whether to pay him. He’s also 4 years younger. You just rarely see a guy this young come available unless he’s been a travesty.

I don’t think any CB we could take in the 3rd would have a higher ceiling than Newsome. And while he hasn’t been consistent, he’s show he can do it in the league. That’s more than you can say for any rookie.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.