Prepare yourself for Hamilton

This is a pretty deep safety class. Holmes was willing to trade up for Chase but ultimately waited until round 4 to get a WR because it was a deep class. He clearly felt Chase was worth it. So you have to ask yourself does he feel the same way about Hamilton?

If you look at what the Rams have done at safety you’d think Holmes would follow a similar strategy. The earliest they took a safety is round two and that was a free safety. In my opinion FS has a higher positional value than a Box, SS or Hybrid style of Safety. The Rams tend to look later in the draft for those. They also let their best safety John Johnson leave in free agency last year. Didn’t even make an attempt to keep him. They knew they could replace him and they still won a superbowl.

We brought Walker back because the value was there to do so but it appeared we were willing to let him walk if it wasn’t.

I think the Lions view safety as a less important role. One that’s not hard to replace. So they probably won’t be drafting one high.

I think we target a safety in rounds 2-3. If Brisker is there at 34 then I think he’s a strong possibility.

2 Likes

HaHa… I’ll give ya Hamilton for that effort…

Disappointed Money GIF by INTO ACTION

1 Like

Wouldn’t surprise this guy… He coined the phrase S.O.L.

It should…. Dungy’s previous GM with Colts would have never taken a safety at #2 OA.

Bill Polian was a GM for 23 seasons… and drafted a safety in the 1st round once.
It was 1991 before the salary cap.

He then was known to emphasize players who throw TDs, score TDs, protect the QB, and rush the QB.

1 Like

Polian took Bob Sanders in the 2nd round. Bob was a stud while he lasted which wasn’t very long.

We’re on the same page, that’s exactly what I predicted as well. I also added, which I still believe, this may be the year we double dip at safety. They may take a guy in the 2nd or 3rd and then add a later round developmental guy as well if they feel the depth is there at safety this year (and Holmes has said as much).

2 Likes

This is my point. Those spots werent upgraded in FA. It tells me that the Lions saying they are good at LB are blowing smoke. Safety too. IDL maybe

2 Likes

I was on the Hamilton bandwagon most of this draft season. I am convinced that if we stay at 2 it is him or Thibodeux.

I am now of the mind Thibodeux makes the most sense after doing a ton of mocks and seeing the depth at safety. I think we address safety at 32 or more likely 34. I truly believe Cine or Hill makes it to us at 34.

3 Likes

No Buffalo Chicken Wings for you the night before the draft.

1 Like

And DE was one of our biggest needs and we resigned Harris too.

To me, two things are possible. First, we have a deal in place with a SS that won’t be announced until after the draft. If were lucky its the Honey Badger but I’m sure I’m dreaming. More likely, we’re going to take Hamilton because there is a giant hole at SS and he is the highest rated player in this draft. We could take a starting SS with one of our other picks too though…so there is hope.

If safety is so easy to replace why have ours sucked sense Glover Quinn left. And has been one of this teams down falls and a top need almost every year. I don’t think Hamilton is the pic but he’s still a great player.

1 Like

I will definitely be preparing to call Holmes a freaking idiot if he selects Hamilton at #2OA.

4 Likes

Cuz Quinn sucks at finding talent at any position…annnnd…if we did find it, Patricia would run them off. :wink:

Patinece, my bro. We have Dan and Brad now.

Hard saying what this thing looks like moving forward…but what I can see…it looks better all the time.

1 Like

I have asked all the Hamilton fans to point me towards all of his “game changing” plays….since most of his 8 career INTs came on either tipped passes (3) or late game desperation deep throws …. and never really got much response.

So… I will pour some more gas on the fire.

Hamilton had 34 tackles and 3 INTs in 2021 in just over 6 games of play.

His replacement for the 2nd half of year was DJ Brown, who notched 25 tackles and 3 INTs while Hamilton was out… including an INT against Sam Howell.

4 Likes

It wasn’t exclusive to safety under Quinn…
he couldn’t even get easy positions like RB right.

1 Like

Glover Quin was a 4th round pick. The safety we took in that draft was Louis Delmas, in the 2nd round. Jarius Byrd was also a standout safety from that class. He was a 2nd round pick. The best safety of the class was Malcolm Jenkins, who went 14th overall. He was drafted as a corner and moved to safety. I think he is a good example of what we should do with Okudah. Glover Quin was also a corner that moved to safety.

2 Likes

His wife is an amazing human. She was my partner in a lot of exercises at a Tony Robbins event 4 or 5 years ago. He did not enjoy me having the connection I did with her. LOL. I showed him a ton of love and helped him to be more comfortable with it. At first, he was getting all alpha energy on me. LOL. I didn’t even respond to it. I eventually had him laughing. Really funny stuff.

When I saw them in the hallway, she says, “This is the life coach guy I was telling you about!”

Love that dude’s intensity, as a human. I want Goff to have some of that. :wink:

2 Likes

After Glover, Bob Quinn was like: “I’ll draft Tracy Walker and Will Harris” problem solved at safety!

It really hasn’t gotten proper attention.

1 Like

Tracy Walker is just a guy. He is the definition of it , he’s just good enough to make u think your ok there, but not good enough to make a impact at the position or really help you win games.

2 Likes

Walker would’ve single handedly won us the 2018 game in SF on that massively clutch pick if Diggs hadn’t been called for defensive holding. He’s better than you are suggesting IMO.

2 Likes