Projecting the Detroit Lions 2025 Extensions

Upon further review. Decker will be the 2nd oldest to sign a contract for 5%+ of the cap.

But theres a group of guys that were 29-31 that signed for 5-11% of the cap. Split the difference call it 8% which would be 20+m aav.

So decker is likely to get that. My apologies.

as for the other guys. That will be the going rate for a top 15 player of the position.

Barns, Iffy Kerby definitely arnt top 15.

McNeil tho. Top 10.

Top 5 paid dts are getting 11% of the cap. So $30m aav next year.

So just say 25+ for McNeil easy

Brown from carolina got 25. McNeil is similar.
So another year cap going up. 28-30 is a real possibility

1 Like

Colin Schooler GIF by Texas Tech Football

1 Like

No itā€™s not. The 15th S makes $7.5M APY, the 15th LB makes $8.2M.

McNeil has to stay healthy and improve if he wants to make more than $20M per year.

1 Like

Iā€™m going to enjoy all the success that Alim has this year because next year another team will be paying him, unless my crystal ball is lying againā€¦

They wonā€™t get 20 in free agency. Their agents know that and will advise them accordingly.

Thereā€™s no way youā€™re trying to say that Kerby Joseph and Ifeatu Melifonwu are going to make more money than Jalen Ramsey just because they go to free agency.

2 Likes

Iā€™d be surprised if Kerby and Iffy made 24m combined after extensions, let alone a piece. Hell, you might get Iffy, Kerby and Barnes all for 24.5m in APY combined.

I just donā€™t think theyā€™re similar or even in the same tier man. Derrick Brown just set the NFL record by tackles a DT in a season with 103 which is almost as many as Alim has had his entire career (112). Heā€™s an ELITE run defender, a great tackler, and still provides pressure from the inside (78.1 PFF pass rush grade vs. 78.6 for Alim). McNeil is around 40 tackles a year when healthy. They play a different style of game inside, but even still Derrick Brown is an elite run defender and he is paid for it.

And then you look at the elite sack producer like Madubuike, who again, just had 13.5 sacks last (Alim has 8 in his career), and just got extended for 24.5m per on his second contract.

Alim hasnā€™t produced like some of these top end guys, even though he is very good. But thatā€™s just it. As it is now, Alim is just good. Heā€™s not elite. I think the closest comp for Alim is Christian Barmore. Both in age, style of play, and production. And Barmore just signed a deal this offseason for $21m a year.

Alim isnā€™t even the best IDL on the team, imo. A healthy Reader is a tier above Alim.

Yes to your entire post sir!

DBend- kerby joseph is a 2 year in, slightly above average safetyā€¦. Iffy is a guy that I believe this regime is only like warm on. I heard rumors they didnā€™t love Jonahā€™s toughness, and HE GONE! I doubt they open up the checkbook unless we see a 90 tackle, 4 sack, 5 int type year with consistent play through regular season and playoffs, and plenty of availability. Barnes is a nice player, but exactly the type of play you DONT sign to a second contract. He and or Iffy are the perfect let em walk for comp picks guys.

Kerby isnā€™t a guy that requires a year 3 extension.

Decker gets 2 years and 35M new money with a semi out in 26ā€™ with some savings.

Alim gets 4 years 84M if he has 7 plus sacks, or if we see a 4-5 sack campaign, I bet we see 3 years and 57M

Comparing him to guys who had more sacks last year than he has in 3 years is absurd.

Jamo has less than 500 yards receiving in 2 years. Letā€™s see back to back 1,000 yard seasons and extend him prior to year 5 start if that happens.

McNeil is top 10 in every metric other than tackles and sacks. Those arnt the only stats that matter.
Pressure rate. Win rate. Run stopping. All those things matter.

Heres an updated chart with RANGES. Vs the maximum i included before

And the categories ARE NOT top 10 paid. Its top 10 at the position.

And thats the pay scale they will likely get

So Hutch ~$30
McNeil ~$27
Jamo ~$25+
Kerby/Iffy ~$10 each
Barns ~$8
Decker yes $16-18m i think.

1 Like

Then this is the projection for ALL position groups for 2025. Excluding QBs. Because thats a bleep show

Except heā€™s not. Aaron Donald has a Win % of 22.3. Dexter Lawrence? 20.2. Quinnen Williams? 19.5. Chris Jones? 17.8. Alim comes in at #27 in Win% at 12.5, and falls even further in True Pass Sets to #35 at 17.1. Top 10 in EVERY category? Heā€™s not even close. Heā€™s #57 in run stops. #25 in hurries. In fact, outside of PFF Grades, heā€™s outside the Top 20 in almost every recordable statistic.

This isnā€™t to say heā€™s bad because heā€™s not. Heā€™s a good player - GOOD, not great, not elite. Again, Christian Barmore is probably the most direct comparison to Alim through 3 years. They were taken in the same draft. They are similar ages. They have produced similar stats. Barmore just signed for 21m per year.

PFF Grades:

POS RANK DEF RDEF TACK PRSH COV
McNeill 8 86.8 76.9 36.8 78.6 64.6
Barmore 9 83.8 67.8 61.5 84.9 66

PFF Stats:

SNP PRS SK HIT HUR WIN% BAT SOLO AST MISS MIS% STOP
McNeill 682 43 6 7 30 12.5 1 16 16 6 15.8 20
Barmore 750 49 8 7 34 13.3 5 43 13 4 6.7 40

PFF True Pass Set Stats:

POS RANK Snaps PRSH Pressures Sacks Hits Hurries WIN% PRP
McNeill 15 187 82.3 27 3 4 20 17.1 8.8
Barmore 3 233 90.7 36 6 4 26 21.3 9.3

AGAIN for what feels like the 5th time and you have yet to address, Barmore just signed a 4yr/84m dollar extension. According to your projection model, this should have never happened. Madubuike, Jones, Williams, Wilkins, Brown, Buckner all signed new deals before Barmore did on April 29th for less APY than the rest. He wasnā€™t even in the Top 5 of this signing class, let alone the entire NFL. Yet, you are projecting McNeill to be around $6m more, minimum, APY than Barmore and be the #2-3 highest paid DT in the league. For what? The stats are nearly identical last season and Barmore has produced considerably more than McNeill over the course of three seasons while playing less snaps. McNeillā€™s stats PALE in comparison to all of the guys putting up elite numbers.

Sorry, dude. Your projections are off unless Alim ends up being a first team All-Pro or something. Heā€™s going to need 10+ sacks from the inside to earn over 25m+ a year. Just being ā€˜goodā€™ doesnā€™t get you paid Top 5 money unless youā€™re a QB. Alim isnā€™t Chris Jones. Heā€™s not Aaron Donald. Heā€™s not Quinnen Williams. You asked someone to find you an example of this in your first post and Iā€™ve provided you with a direct comparison with Barmore.

I enjoy and agree with a lot of the stuff you post, but this topic being presented as a realistic expectations of signings is so far from what I believe is reality. Iā€™ll give you the last word on it between you and I. I could end up being wrong and you could be right, but I just donā€™t see most of your projections being close and normally I wouldnā€™t have much to say about it, but I think theyā€™re egregiously off.

2 Likes

That canā€™t be right. OP gotta mean 3 years 21 mill total. 21 mill a year for an average off ball linebacker would be the dumbest signing in nfl history.

Anzalone got 3 years 18 million for example. And heā€™s better than Barnes. Donā€™t tell you know who. :wink:

1 Like

Andrew Whitworthā€™s last contract was about 10 mil a year for three years which was slightly less than his previous 3 year contract. Of course he was about 38 at the time.

Heā€™s valuing Barnes like heā€™s Roquan, Kerby and Iffy like they are Winfield Jr, and Alim like heā€™s Chris jones.

If we would have had Chris Jones, Ronquan and Winfield last year weā€™d have won the SB easily.

Right now Jamo is Chark or even Hardman- a 500-600 yards 4 TD a year guy- WHEN he proves otherwise, we can discuss top 10 WR money.

Right now Alim has a career high of 5 sacks last year. He literally has HALF the sacks and pressures Sheldon Rankins had in NO thru 3 seasons. If he has 4/5 sacks again this year, Iā€™d expect 2 years and 27Mā€¦ similar to Rankins, but well under Barmore-

• to say stats dont matter is silly- Aaron Donald, Chris Jones, K Mack, Von Miller, Myles Garrett, Nick Bosa, TJ Watt, JJ Watt have dominated the defensive player top contracts pool. Ironically they all have l multiple game wrecker seasons on PAPER- however if Lim goes off for 10 plus sacks- all bets are off. It would show his previous seasons have been held back by Benito and Buggs level guys next to him.

Kerby? Iffy? Cmon

2 Likes

I updated the OP.
But my position on McNeil still stands. Dude is going to get 27- 32m

Cap is going up
Demand for DTs is going up.

1 Like

He wonā€™t get 25M perā€¦.

Christian Wilkins is the only one who got a huge deal from another team. Leonard Davis is much olderā€¦.

Jones, Donald, Payne, Allen, Madabuike, J Simmons, Barmore, D Lawrence, D Brown, Q Williamsā€¦. All higher drafted, more explosive players that had at least one year of elite production.

Paying him nowā€¦would be absurd.

1 Like

Im not saying pay him now. But next year in 2025.
These are the biggest contracts for DTs since 2020. Dont look at the amount. Look at the percentage of the cap.

McNeil will be right around 10% of the 2025 salary cap. Meaning 10% of 272.2m or
$27.22M AAV

Even at 9% in that next teir down is still ~$25m!
Im saying 25m is the floor.

What is he gonna take just a SLIGHT bump over the MUCH older DJ Reader (4.3%?)? No! Hell be 25!

1 Like

He will not be back here, but if he is, it will be for 17-20M per.

1 Like

Well Done Good Job GIF by MASTERPIECE | PBS

That would put him at 6.5%
Would give him the 20th biggest contract for DTs adjusted for inflation. Hes worth way more than that.