QB play observation

The “he needs things to be perfect” comment is dumb. I think it’s more or less a troll

It’s the NFL. Nothing is ever perfect for anybody. There’s always injuries, hostile environments, bad calls etc…

When has Goff enjoyed ‘perfection’ around him? Aside from Amon, the WR group is pretty pedestrian. Swift is always hurt, the pass protect was average. He was the tenth most hurried QB in the league

Statistically, if we had an average defense all year we win 15 games and go into the playoffs the number one seed. But yeah, lets all wring our hands about the qb who led a top five offense and broke most every franchise record

5 Likes

Every time he speaks with Jack MF’n Fox!

1 Like

As we said the other day. Some people just need to say what they really mean. Its weird watching them tip toe around it.

4 Likes

had to update the diss wheel. Seems most the stuff got proven wrong. Only a couple of disses to cling to

Picker Wheel - Spin the Wheel to Decide a Random Choice >

2 Likes

I understand why this stat is thrown out there, it’s based on the time the QB took the snap and released the ball. IIR, Goff had the 10th fastest release in the league. Snap the ball turn and look for the receiver breaking and throw. It’s how Dan/Ben designed the offense.
The 2.4 seconds from snap to throw is a credit to the receiver, O-Line, Goff and game plan. It has nothing to do with defensive pressures, but it’s how the stats are interpreting pressure and that’s messed up.
Our O-Line was outstanding in 22. The easiest weak link to cover for an injury is guard, if you have a 2 stud tackles and an pro bowl center, being down a guard is easy to cover for, slide protections and utilize the TE’s.

1 Like

Well according to the stat site I pulled the data from ‘hurries’ and ‘pocket time’ are separate data points.

Pocket time is the average time between throwing the ball or pressure.

A Hurry is defined as a situation when the QB is forced to throw the ball earlier than intended or is chased around/out of the pocket as the result of defensive pressure

At 2.4 TIP, hurries range from just a few (albeit less snaps) to 38

And to note, 2.4 Time in Pocket wasn’t tenth, it was about league average but that time was tied for 6th with several other QBs

2023 Advanced Quarterback Stats | NFL Metrics | FantasyPros >

3 Likes

EVERYTHING WAS NOT PERFECT THIS YEAR!

2 Likes

If I were to use the stat of hurried, there a 6 QB’s with at least 500 hundred attempts that have a better hurried rate in THE ENTIRE NFL!
6 teams in the entire league that supposedly had better protection than Goff.
Is anyone going to complain about that?

There are only 11 QBs in the NFL with 500 or more attempts. What are you trying to say here?

I’m not trying to say anything, I’m proving our O-line had a hell of a year and is one of the best in the league.

2 Likes

It’s hard to have a good faith discussion about players or a player’s productivity when the crux of people’s entire argument on certain said players are judgement call stats that aren’t standardized.

You aren’t doing that with your post but you could to push a narrative if you wanted to

3 Likes

If 500 attempts is your threshold, there are 11 QBs who meet that

4 were hurried more and 6 hurried less. So at that personal pass attempt gate, Goff would be the fifth most hurried QB out of 11 total. Almost statistically average.

Which is about how the pass protect graded with both PFF and ESPN

Average? That would place our line at 15-16th in the league. I find it hard to find 2-3 teams I’d trade lines with. You say average, find me 10 teams with a better line.

1 Like

The Lions OL wasn’t as great as you’re making it out to be. The Lions spent most of the season with large holes along the interior OL. We had a revolving door at OG for a large part of the season as well.

When our line is healthy and complete it’s damn good. Unfortunately it’s rarely healthy on the interior.

4 Likes

You went from Goff getting the ball out of his hands faster than most QBs in the league to the offensive line beng dominant once the hurry stat was explained to you.

That’s not normal.

1 Like

Also remember this is just the pass protect stat. By in large the line performed better in run blocking.

Currently I probably wouldn’t want to trade lines with anyone if we are making such a sweeping hypothetical. We have a nice blend of young talent and veteran leadership.

I would though like to see the RG position fortified and some better depth for T. Assuming Vaitai leaves if Decker or Sewell get hurt Matt Nelson isn’t doing it for me. I’m also worried about Raggs toe and hope we can resign Evan Brown for a reasonable deal

2 Likes

He wants Goff replaced. And one of the things he has done a few times now is hyped up the surrounding cast. Before the season it was to say that if Goff can’t succeed with this surrounding cast we need to get rid of him. Now that Goff had success it was because of the surrounding cast, so we should get rid of him.

Some people need to just say what they mean. It will save some time and effort for everyone.

4 Likes

Just read my reply to the hurried stat. Nuff said.

Rumor is that Denver will cut ties with Graham Glasgow.

Anyone want him back?

2 Likes

Some statements are so Asinine, a reply is not even warranted.

1 Like