QB Ratings….. Truck vs Trailer

I think its safe to say that Matt Stafford is now the latest guy to do it. But we’d have to be intellectually honest about it. The Rams had roughly 23% of their cap tied up in “Stafford.”

1 Like

Argument #134 about Goff vs drafting a QB and its not even Feb yet … :laughing:

When it’s a battle between two trucks, the better team generally wins. Right now the Bengals are a lot better than the Bills. They might be better than the Chiefs too but it’s much closer IMO.

I assume you mean the AFCCG, and he came damn close, and in only his first year as a starter. That’s actually one of the best games I’ve ever seen him play, he absolutely put the Chiefs on his back to bring them back. And if it weren’t for the wonky overtime rules at the time, I think he would have won (after that is when the “if the first team doesn’t score a TD the other team gets a chance” was implemented).

That’s being a leader. Derek Carr is famous for doing the same thing. And I applaud them both for doing it. But the trucks vs trailers argument pertains solely to on-field performance. And to me if you’re a starting QB in the NFL, all the off-field stuff you do to make yourself better on-field comes with the job. Not doing it would be cause for alarm.

I know you love Goff and that’s fine. Maybe you’re right and he’s the answer to our QB woes going forward. I don’t think so but I’d love to be wrong.

1 Like

The weirdest thing about this trip down memory lane is that nobody has mentioned the fact that QB salaries have exploded in recent years.

There isn’t any historical lesson to be learned here… because comparing cap percentages of QBs now to players more than 5-7 years ago is apples to oranges.

And… with that said… 8 of the top 10 career earners in the NFL are QBs that have won a Superbowl.

Also….

Stafford’s cap hit was lower for the Rams because the Lions ate a bunch of dead money with the trade….

and Brady had a lower cap hit with Tampa because they used “void” years…. and he is the unicorn that never sought to maximize hus earnings.

say you love him or be FLOGGED! SAY IT!

1 Like

Why do you have another QB in your back pocket that is going to Waltz in here and reach the : 4,438 yards , 29 passing TD’s , and 7 INT -season Goff just hung up in 2022 ?

1 Like

Nope. Meant to write Bucs. Was thinking about him vs Brady though. Mahomes threw two pics and had a 52 passer rating

Irrespective of how much I ‘love’ Goff or don’t ‘love’ Goff. It’s a dumb and over simplified analogy.

And I’d also go so far to say, I don’t ‘love’ Goff. That type of analysis exclusive of the team usually resides with the QB cultists. I love Goff on this team right now. I think he is the right QB at the right time to be part of this steamroller

My sexy bald brother… What he is saying is the the Bills were trailing the Bengals… He’s being facetious given how many times others (at time yourself to be honest) simply point out that “Goff…”

1. Looked scared in the pocket
  2. Gave up on the play and threw it away
  3. Failed to “climb the pocket” to help out his OL
  4. Didn’t have the arm to connect deep with Jamo
  5. Mostly from his Rams days- turned the ball over too often…
  • Anyone who watched that game saw Josh Allen looking completely disheveled for most of the game. He threw tons of passes at guys feet when screens and slants weren’t open. He failed to climb the pocket and took hits drifting back and waiting for guys to get open. He overthrew Diggs and Davis multiple times, and others missed the read to them deep when they were open. He’s been turning ball over like a boss for 8 weeks now…

My point is that even one of the clearly talented QB’s in the league isn’t ELITE when his cast and leadership isn’t…

• there were posters in this forum questions whether we should risk extending Goff with the knowledge that Ben Johnson might be likely gone next year… Then our brother Wrath pointed out the obvious in this thead… Daboll leaving BROKE JOSH ALLEN???

If so that means there is not point trying to find and elite QB right? Because if the OL waivers, has injuries, a RB gets hurt, or the OC who made your career leaves, then you start reverting back to just good?

1 Like

i mean the cat just rewrote the Lions record books in his second year. Wanting to draft a rookie in the hope he becomes Mahomes seems like a poorly thought out plan

We have endured how many decades of futility? Watching the Lions steamroll the Packers and and Rodgers Packers career in the cold at Lambeau to knock them out of the playoffs with a TD drive featuring one of the most eye popping passes you can see suddenly isn’t good enough. Because ummm He’s a ‘trailer’ or something

And yet despite being down 14-0 at halftime to the best defense in the league he brought back, forced overtime, and could have easily won if the OT rules weren’t so wonky.

Yes, fine. Nothing’s black or white. I said already it’s clearly hyperbole to represent an idea. It’s no different from the grass is always greener or be careful what you wish for or it might come true. The grass isn’t always greener, and you don’t really need to be careful about what you wish for. They’re sayings that aren’t 100% true, but convey an idea.

Then we aren’t so different. I loved Goff on this team in 2022. Will I love him in 2023? I hope so. I fully expect another good season and to make some noise in the playoffs. Will I love him in 2024? 2025? My hunch is no but I could easily be wrong.

1 Like

john lithgow shrek GIF

1 Like

SB LV. Chiefs scored three FGs, Mahomes threw two picks and had a 52 rating. And the Bucs had the 8th best defense

Ha! Thanks for pointing things out from an angle that I was in my blind spot for some reason, & I missed it.

Yup - muuuch more to it & always is. I appreciate your kind, detailed, & thought out response, bro.

Thanks, man!

bow bowing GIF

I get it. I’d say it’s less hyperbole and more reductionism. In our reality, outside of the Transformers movies a truck is always only a truck and a trailer is always only a trailer

Like I said above that sweeping generalizations are by their very nature wrong. It’s one of the first rules of logic and structured debate. They are also an apparatus to replace critical thinking. If you hear and believe, ‘so and so is a trailer’. It basically ends the conversation. It’s a zero sum proposition. You’re either a trailer or you’re not.

What we saw Sunday was Allen struggling and performing poorly because the team around him wasn’t in sync. The Bills have some assessing to do to make sure the offense is more well prepared in the future. Was Allen a trailer? If we are just tossing this analogy like a magnet to a refrigerator. Yea; he was a trailer. But that’s silly

When Mahomes in SB LV ran into a better game plan and his protection was breaking down, he tossed two picks and put up a 52 QBR. Do we toss the trailer magnet on the fridge? No we take a look at what happened with the apparatus Mahomes is part of.

Does anyone think the Jaguars will win the SB next year? I sure as hell don’t… They are out of money going into next year, have holes to fill, and are picking later than they have in recent memory…

I also don’t think the Eagles or Bengals make it through this offseason without committing 250M or so extensions… Here is my prediction…

1. Rodgers
  2. Russ
  3. Kyler
  4. D Watson
  5. Mahomes
  6. Allen
  7. Carr
  8. Stafford
  9. Prescott
  10. Cousins
  11. Goff- current deal
  12. Tannehill

soon to be joining them…

Burrow
Lamar
Herbert
Tua
J Hurts
D Jones
Geno Smith

• by the end of this offseason I would be 16 and possibly 19 QBs have APY contracts over 30MM per year…

9 of them are over 40MM currently and I would be that at least 3 more get to that level this offseason…

I would love to get Goff on a 4 year 160M extension… If he won’t take it, then I would draft a QB this year of note, probably at #6 if a guy we love falls, but I think he would take that extension… He’s already gotten one huge payday, so getting another would guarantee him one of the richest players of all time… It would still keep in around #16 APY by 2025…

Jared Goff would have had the Jets well into the playoffs, and Zach Wilson would have had us about 5-12 at best?

1 Like

Kirk Cousins 2016 (16 games): 67% completion percentage, 4917 yards, 25 TDs, 12 ints.
Kirk Cousins 2018 (16 games): 70% completion percentage, 4298 yards, 30 TDs, 10 ints.
Kirk Cousins 2019 (15 games): 69% completion percentage, 3603 yards, 26 TDs, 6 ints.
Kirk Cousins 2021 (16 games): 66% completion percentage, 4221 yards, 33 TDs, 7 ints.

Derek Carr 2016 (15 games): 64% completion percentage, 3937 yards, 28 TDs, 6 ints.
Derek Carr 2019 (16 games): 70% completion percentage, 4054 yards, 21 TDs, 8 ints.
Derek Carr 2020 (16 games): 67% completion percentage, 4103 yards, 27 TDs, 9 ints.

Carson Wentz 2017 (13 games): 60% completion percentage, 3296 yards, 33 TDs, 7 ints.
Carson Wentz 2018 (11 games): 70% completion percentage, 3074 yards, 21 TDs, 7 ints.
Carson Wentz 2019 (16 games): 64% completion percentage, 4039 yards, 27 TDs, 7 ints.

Ryan Tannehill 2015 (16 games): 62% completion percentage, 4208 yards, 24 TDs, 12 ints.
Ryan Tannehill 2020 (16 games): 66% completion percentage, 3819 yards, 33 TDs, 7 ints.

Matt Schaub 2009 (16 games): 68% completion percentage, 4770 yards, 29 TDs, 15 ints.
Matt Schaub 2010 (16 games): 64% completion percentage, 4370 yards, 24 TDs, 12 ints.

Geno Smith 2022 (17 games): 70% completion percentage, 4282 yards, 30 TDs, 11 ints.

Some of those seasons are nominally worse than Goff’s, some are nominally better, but they’re all in basically the same range. Stats very often don’t tell the whole story.

1 Like

Yep, I mentioned that one. The year after they replaced their entire OL. And yet he still led them to a Super Bowl. They had no business being there and Tampa made them pay.

I appreciate you too homie…

The truth is NOBOBY looks good missing their WR’s deep, but it happens. Just like nobody looks good Christian Watson-ing a probable 75 yard TD on their first NFL target with butter fingers, but again… it happens…

I literally watched a guy in our uniform get scrutinized for every underthrown ball, but nobody seems to care when a ROCKET ARMED SAVANT equally overthrows his guy? When our guy throws 67% completions and average 7.6 yards per attempt we question every misread, but when Allen throws for 64% and 7.6 yards per attempt- he’s a TRUCK!

Goff has comeback wins, playoff wins, passing stats, leadership skills, college production, pro production at an elite level with 2 different rebuilding teams…

Guys are in here calling prime Matt Ryan and Goff “trailers” because they need great players and play calling to thrive?

• same guys talk about the Rams injuries on the OL, the Bills having a liability in Saffold, or Allen losing Daboll?

Why is Goff supposed to overcome a shitty OL, no WR’s and a shitty OC (Lynn)… but Allen and Stafford at TRUCKS despite failing when the circumstances are sub par?

If Matt Stafford, Josh Allen, etc were really trucks they would have their team to SBs despite the deficiencies… right?

1 Like

PFF ranked them 11th best line in 2020 and in the comments said Mahomes makes them look worse by how much he scrambles

I guess the Oline was the truck and Mahomes was the trailer. Until the Oline was the trailer. Then there were two trailers and no truck

1 Like