QB Ratings….. Truck vs Trailer

Fair enough. I still think it’s constructive to form the basis of discussion (which is probably why it exists), but yes if you’re going to use it reductively and make it seem black and white, then you’re abusing the system.

To me Goff can’t make a play out of structure. His clutchness varies greatly. For most of his career he’s been very skittish under pressure (hence throwing the ball out of bounds on 4th down), but he improved in that area this year. His accuracy has always been a strength but when he’s off, he’s really off (start of the GB game).

Because of these reasons I think he’s “more trailer than truck,” but you’re right that it’s grayer than that. It’s just an easy way to say it.

And yet the fact remains they replaced the entire unit.

2022 Josh Allen 69.2 4,544 37 10
2021 Josh Allen 63.3 4,407 36 15
2020 Josh Allen 69.2 4,544 37 10

Also comparable to the seasons above. And each year flamed out before the SB

Truck or Trailer?

Would you really take Goff over Josh Allen? Should we start a poll?

I guess Mahomes needed them to perform better than 11th best to win a SB. And Allen on Sunday…Now I’m super confused about this truck and trailer thing

If I didn’t know better I’d start to think every QB needs their supporting staff to also support them. It can’t be as simple as one player towing all others to success, can it?

Careful. You’re getting very close to “complimentary football” territory with this kind of rhetoric. Only a crazy person talks like that.

1 Like

Heh, now who’s being reductive?

I said many posts ago it’s not about carrying a team single-handedly. It’s about winning with less help or when put into worse situations. Or another way of saying it: it’s not black or white. For much of the year Mahomes did that, but he couldn’t overcome it at the end.

In isolation, no. Allen every time. For this Lions team right now, I’d be inclined to stick with Goff - Unless he proves he can’t do it I think he’s earned the right to lead the team. It’s a balanced offense he helped build and it’s top five in the league. Come playoffs I don’t want to be a throw throw throw one dimensional team. I’ve seen that show before

Plus in a couple years he’s going to count 50 million against the cap. So then JD is going to go on and on about that (Sorry JD, couldn’t resist)

Didn’t Sunday show that Allen is a trailer? Or is he a truck? or maybe a transformer?

Sarcasm

But as I said. In the real world trucks are always only trucks and trailers are always only trailers. That’s as black white an analogy as can be. One cannot present such a rigid analogy then assign it nuance. By saying it’s more nuanced you just proved your own analogy wrong.

Unless we are referring to some alternate reality where trailers can also pull trucks.

All I know was Allen’s game against the Chiefs in the playoffs last year was the single best QB’d game I saw all year. He put that team on his back. In our game on Thanksgiving, Goff had a chance to win the game and missed the throw… I know there’s a lot of debate over who was at fault but that’s on the QB for me every time. It’s his job to make sure they’re on the same page (personally I think he just missed). Then Allen got the ball and made the best throw all game in the most meaningful spot to win it.

Fairpoint, but Allen was throwing to a receiver who will probably be in the Hall of Fame against the 32nd ranked defense

Goff was throwing to beleaguered receiver who was hurt all year and wasn’t quite up to speed on the subtleties of the offense against the 3rd best defense.

Given the perspective, it doesn’t really support the idea that Josh Allen was being a truck and Goff was being a trailer.

It does however illustrate quite clearly the need for better defensive talent. If the Lions had a statistically average Defense all year we would have 15 games and the the top seed going into the playoffs led by our lowly trailer

You could start a redundant poll….once Goff had a decent set of WRs and a semi function defense, he went 8-2…. Josh Allen had an elite pair of WRs and a top 2-3 D all year.

All would take Allen…. Despite being surrounded by crazy talent, and being crazy talented himself, he’s got no SB appearances, and he will be lucky to get there next year…

The funny thing is that if Goff somehow gets to ANOTHER SB with a #20 ranked D, somehow he will still be a trailer….

2 Likes

They also had injuries… the final straw was Eric Fisher tearing his Achilles in the AFC Championship game… which forced backup Remmers from RT to LT… and ORG Wylie to RT… which was really the straw that broke the camel’s back.

speaking of camels….

Wednesday Morning GIF

1 Like

And who was one of those 2 losses to? At home?

Regardless of where we were ranked at the time, it was a 40 yard rope into a tiny window. On that play at least, we didn’t play bad defense. He just made an amazing play that very few QBs can make.

I don’t disagree. But I think the same can be said for what was ultimately the game-winning throw Goff made against Green Bay. 50+ yards while rolling out a cross body dropping a dime to the goal line. And in a much more challenging environment

Yessir. So Mahomes needed his starting LT to be able to perform. Just like this year Stafford needed his Oline to be better. Just like in 2019 when Goffs Oline lost key members and plummeted to 31st ranked. Just like this year when Rodgers lost his go to WR. Just like last year when Brady lost his LT

So many trailers and trucks running eachother. Like a kids sandbox

Thank you for this point, I have a buddy that tries to use that %of cap point all the time and left out Goff’s dead money on the Rams cap too

2 Likes

Anyone else reading this thread & getting advertisements for trailers. The advertising algorithm has been beat

2 Likes

Nope. :smile:

1 Like