Rams cut Bobby Wagner

Poor Stafford?

He won a Super Bowl.

We merely have the hope of better things, not the reality.

So far, his bet is still winning.

6 Likes

Wagner will be 33 in 4 months. He seemed to be playing at a high level still but how many more years does that last?..kind of a big gamble imo but even if he regresses a little he’s still very good.
Idk on this one.

Sign me up. Leadership pedigree at the position and a fantastic role model.

If it’s a two year deal and he thinks we’re legit, why not.

6 Likes

3 years with a 2 year walk. He wants to be on a winning team…quite the shot at the Rams. Make the deal and put a C on his jersey.

4 Likes

I would be happy with this signing. It would signal big expectations in these next two years.

2 Likes

Wagner is not an option unless he wants in as a coaching intern.
He wants rings and we’re trying to build a young core. Honestly, the Brockers contract should be the last geriatric football contract we do until and unless we’re filling a hole with no other options.

2 Likes

Building a young core doesn’t mean your entire roster has to be of newly legal drinking age. It’s ok to build a young core while sprinkling in some veteran leadership and experience. Wagner is only 32 and I’m sure would be fine with a high dollar one year deal for a team he views as a legit contender. I’m not sure if Detroit qualifies as that right now in his eyes, but if it did, the Lions would do really well to add him.

Last year he has 140 tackles, 10 tackles for loss, 6 sacks, 2 ints and 5 passes defensed while playing in all 17 games. If the Lions would rather a guy like Barnes playing over THAT level of production simply because he’s younger, than the rebuild will never really get off the ground my friend. The goal is to win football games, not build the youngest roster in the league.

5 Likes

I agree for the most part, but playing linebacker behind AD is different. The Lions don’t have Aaron Donald, not even close. Something to consider.

1 Like

Last thought - the Lions are short on veteran leadership on the defense. Brockers was supposed to help with that, but the guy couldn’t even get on the field. Can’t take that serious. Elliott seemed like he helped as a new guy a bit, but he’s also a FA. Anzalone is also a FA. Maybe Okwara or Harris if they weren’t hurt. My point is there are no veterans on the defense who can be leaders both in the locker room, and also on the field on Sunday. If we want AG to put up a real defense this year I think handing him a bunch of 22 year old young bloods and saying we want a top 15 defense is a bit unrealistic. He should be given a guy or two that he can trust. I prefer one to be at corner, and maybe this is the other option. I don’t know, but separate from Wagner I think the Lions need to add a vet they can trust to be a leader of this defense to bridge the gap until guys like Hutch are more seasoned leaders. After all, how do you expect guys like Hutch, Okudah, Kerby, Alim to be leaders of this unit if there is nobody to teach them?

3 Likes

Totally fair, but AD only played in parts of 11 games last year. Everything was way down with him. And Wagner still murdered it. I’m not saying I expect Wagner to come in here with this tire fire defense and match those stats. I’m simply saying I’d be open to a high dollar one year deal that Brad seems to love, for a guy who can be a veteran leader who AG can trust and be a bridge while the pups get up to speed.

1 Like

GIF by 8it

1 Like

Wagner needs to talk to Brockers. I believe if Brockers told him we are a Fred Wagner and Jalen Ramsey away from being a true SB contender, we may get both.

1 Like

his PFF grade was better then anyone we have. I wouldn’t be mad.

3 Likes

The Rams paid him 10m for one year. I’m cool with that. He’d be an impactful addition and not effect compensatory beanstalk agriculture efforts.

5 Likes

\i see your idea but i am not interested in Ramsey but Wagner yes

2 Likes

We tried to get involved last year IIRC

1 Like

Michael Douglas High Quality GIF

1 Like

If they don’t plan to re-sign Chark…
this could be a really important factor.

Sign Wagner as the marquee addition in free agency,
and still get the bean if Chark leaves. :+1:

4 Likes

Listed as one of the five landings spots

5 Likes

Incidentally, if true it’s pretty stunning that Wagner left because he “wants to win” next season. Kupp, Ramsey, Donald, Wagner - that’s four perennial pro bowlers who could have been back. Add Stafford, Akers finished well last year, a presumably hungry McVay, better injury luck w/the OL…

If they thought they were legit SB contenders at the start of last year not sure why Wagner wouldn’t think they can rebound. But apparently he doesn’t. That’s quite an indictment.