Rams cut Bobby Wagner

I am hoping BH already has sent a plane ticket to BW. He would be an upgrade even if he was 35 years old, considering what we had last year!

Yes he still has the gas to be our #1 LB currently. IMO, this is a no brainer for a 2 yr contract, with a 3rd year option @ 9-10/yr. Leadership, lead by example, and high character guy, and thumper is what we need in the box right now!

Get it done Brad!

1 Like

Optimal Scenario:

Lions replace Anzalone with Wagner & Draft either LB Campbell or Henley to develop for the future. Just sayin…

4 Likes

I doubt they put that amount of resources towards LBer. They play two at a time.

I think either Wagner or a high end rookie LBer. Not both. Quite possibly neither one.

5 Likes

I would agree, but it really depends on what you think we are Sept. 1 2023. I think IF we are “more” aggressive in taking some swings this offseason, that you don’t necessarily take when you are quote “building,” that we “can” be a place someone goes in 2023 to get a ring. Brockers was never very good on the field here. Ok against the run. But he never earned what he was making performance wise.

Wagner is a top 5 guy walking in the door. If he can be that for 2 years, and we can focus our high draft resources in other areas, it’s a win. I could see him viewing what he sees here as a place who has a good chance as soon as next year. Most of our front seven are on cheap contracts. We can sink some short term FA bucks in a guy like him IMO. You can start by handing him the money you were paying Anzalone and Brockers.

2 Likes

I can’t handle another bean thread…

1 Like

In general, I would be against something like this.

But I like this move at this time. We are in the process of transforming from competitive to competing. Wagner hits the two year window of us in that transition. I believe he makes the people around him better. (Improvement for the LB room that is much needed and improvement for our young players that really need a veteran voice in their ears)

So this will come down to cost. It seems like a copout to say I will trust Brad with this… but I will trust Brad with this. He has done a great job building a young, competitive core. Wagner could be a piece that elevates.

1 Like

Why poke the sleeping bear???

1 Like

…who offers him a contract and is likely to be in the championship game.

I imagine there are about 8-10 teams ahead of Detroit on his shortlist.

Sure, but this team is “fast rising dough”. Our QB situation is solid, our O performed well last season, there is continuity with the staff and we are just a couple pieces away on D if he comes on from being respectable.

From a player’s perspective, he’s thinking he has what, 1 or 2 more shots at making snow angels in confetti? I think he’d take the Suh approach of seeking the most pat hand possible and catching lighting in a bottle with Detroit isn’t going to be first choice.

2 Likes

Well 8-10 ahead of us is a clear sign of growth and improvement for where the Lions have been.

1. Chiefs-Nick Bolton
  2. Bengals-Logan Wilson
  3. Bills-Matt Milano
  4. Eagles-TJ Edwards, Kyzir White
  5. 49ers-Fred Warner
  6. Jags-Foresade Oluokun
  7. Chargers-Kyle Van Noy
  8. Cowboys?-Do we count Micah Parsons as a MLB?
  9. Vikings?-Eric Kendricks
  10. Ravens?-Roquan Smith

I think I hit the teams you would be thinking about… I might have some wrong.

Of the list, I see Parsons more on the edge than middle. Dallas could be in. Jerry gonna Jerry.
I chuckled with KVN at the Chargers. Considering Mack’s contract, could they make Wagner work? Maybe.
The Jags are interesting. They signed Oluokun last year. I don’t see them moving on, but I could be wrong.

I just don’t see the other teams using cap at MLB. I certainly may have missed something here. And I am sure the community will edit where I have gone astray.

But our situation isn’t a bad one for Wagner to step into. We can certainly use the veteran leadership he brings and we might be willing to use cap space to secure it.

4 Likes

Absolutely, do the teams ahead of us need a MLB and if they do, can they afford one?

I’d love to have him but that’s my thought as well.

Detroit is a long shot.

2 Likes

Van Noy, Edwards, and Kyzir White are UFAs.

I wouldn’t expect Eagles to be a possibility given their cap situation and Howie’s history of not paying off-ball LBs.

Chargers seem like the most likely fit for need…
but also are almost $20 million over the cap right now.
They have plenty of guys they can restructure to make space… but Herbert may get extended this offseason as well.
With an early extension… it is possible that most of the guaranteed money is in future seasons… which would keep his 2023 cap hit relatively low if his signing bonus isn’t too much.

I agree that Jerruh probably wants him… but they have major cap issues to fix as well. They supposedly are still interested in OBJ as well… so I guess Jerruh has a tough offseason to choose his new toys.

Yeah, I’ll probably be wasting more time imagining who we might draft vs signing Wagner.

That’s a perfectly reasonable position from a Lions fan’s perspective and quite possibly from a Lions GM’s perspective.

He was released, not a FA. Can talk to any team at any time.

1 Like

Jerry loves his alma mater (Arkansas) and with their need at LB with Vander Each being a FA, I foresee them Pursuing Drew Sanders via the draft, just a hunch.

The Bear What GIF by Cocaine Bear

3 Likes

Jags drafted Devin Lloyd as well last year. I would say they won’t be in on Wagner.

Instant cult movie, will make a billion dollars.

1 Like