Rams getting preferred treatment?

I’ve brought this up in a few other threads… but I want to have it in its own thread.

The Rams are getting tons of media attention. They are hosting the Super Bowl this year.
They are getting some calls in their favor… and it is obvious.

Here is my post about the Hold on the D-Jax TD bomb.

Here are some plays from Bears game.

Early 3rd quarter… Rams have 6 point lead. Hicks starts getting held at 5:10 mark of video.
Brian Allen’s white glove is nearly grabbing the “9” on the back of his jersey.

Hicks moves Allen 4 yards back… and Allen’s is still grabbing same spot.

Here is another big play… a 37 yard pass to Higbee
Whitworth is turning the edge rusher sideways with his hand grabbing the jersey on the name plate… right in front of Stafford. Bears were only down 6 points late in the 3rd quarter when that happened.

“Bear hug” holding at 7:53 in the 4th quarter… no call.

1st and 20… after a holding call actually was called on Johnny Mundt… 5:24 in 4th quarter.
Havenstein has his arm around the head/neck area on the edge rusher.

There are always going to be some holding calls that get missed.
However… 4 blatant holds missed in the 2nd half of one game… is excessive.

3 Likes

Stafford must be in shock not having flags all over the field every time he completes a pass.

11 Likes

Certainly fits the narrative of the NFL being fixed, or short of that, they love creating their storylines and drama.

I seem to go down that rabbit hole every year or so of reading what I can find on the NFL being fixed… I dunno I believe it but I do believe they create storylines or narratives and they favor the big market teams creating an uneven playing field at times.

I dunno I’ve ever seen it talked about here, maybe once in the off-season, and I’m still relatively new… has anyone else followed Alice down this rabbit hole???

3 Likes

well whomever is writing that script loves to shit on the Lions that’s for sure

5 Likes

I think there is clearly some shady stuff going on behind the scenes. I mean just look at the NBA refs that were gambling on the games. I’m sure there are refs in the nfl taking bribes and changing the course of games. There is just too much money to be lost in gambling without ensuring a few outcomes here and there.

I’d still expect it’s a very small percentage of the refs in on it though. But, all it takes is a couple.

2 Likes

I don’t know but I sure got a kick out of the Packers getting some iffy calls against them. Guess Aaron’s little stunt took him out of most loved status.

2 Likes

Right on you guys. I do think it’s similar across all sports in that the better teams get preferred calls. It happens in hockey that’s for damn sure! And the NBA as you mentioned. I guess I wonder where the line is for giving a good team the benefit of the doubt because they are good vs nitpicking on bad teams because they aren’t good.

2 Likes

can’t even watch that garbage, any more. I’ll leave if the NFL starts getting that bad, just like I left the NBA.

7 Likes

I think many people here would suggest it isn’t necessarily the “better” teams that get more calls… but more calls go to the teams with national fan bases and significant media markets.

Cowboys, Packers, Steelers are the most obvious.

And … maybe now the Rams with the move to LA, new massive stadium that is hosting the Super Bowl, and home of NFL network?

NFL definitely wants that LA market to succeed.

4 Likes

I disappeared from the NBA shortly after Jordan retired, games just didn’t seem as good to me anymore. On the plus side I do watch inside the NBA to see Charles Barkley who is awesome, lol

4 Likes

The bald savant reads my mind yet again.

1 Like

Look at the bald representation there- of COURSE that stuff is awesome!

casablanca-humphrey-bogart

2 Likes

Which league do you think is fixed more— NFL or WWE? Please site specific examples beyond the typical lions game.

1 Like

Wait a 2nd, the WWE is fixed!? You gotta be joking.

hulk hogan wrestling GIF

3 Likes

In all honesty though you can find a half a dozen plays like that for every team every game. Every line holds.

Hahaha I really like Charles Barkley. Definitely one of the better former players doing the talking head gig

1 Like

True… but when most teams blatantly hold 4 times in 1 half of football… at least a few of them get called.

In the WWE I’m not always sure of the results. With the Lions I know exactly what the end result will be.

5 Likes

And one heck of a golf swing!
charles barkley golf GIF by NBA on TNT

1 Like