Ranking Matt Patricia in the pantheon of terrible coaching hires

That is literally what Kitna said, but in reverse. He was healthy enough to be benched, so that is what they should have done. Putting him on IR was childish. They tried to trade him before putting him on IR.

I really don’t see why people don’t believe it.

Kitna said it. Players on the team have also said it. Coaches have acknowledged it.

All those people believe they would have won some games had Kitna played. But everyone knew the team sucked and the staff had issues.

There’s also been plenty of stories of how Kitna was challenging the coaching staff. How the coaching staff couldn’t get along. That they were in disagreements. It sounded like there was a philosophical clash so they IRed him and blamed him.

Why not just cut the guy?..
 I have a feeling they IRed him hoping to save their jobs. The team president had been fired and they all knew they were on borrowed time. Point at the QB and blame the season on the fact you lost your QB. If they cut him they have no excuses for season. Instead IR him tank the season and hope to keep your job.

He said he was ready to try to play last weekend and was ready to play this weekend and instead, after a very brief meeting, he was put on injured reserve for the rest of the season, with no chance to play and no way to prove he could.

“I’m not whining,” Kitna said. “Nobody wins when that happens. But this is factual. Not long ago, I had a talk with Rod (Marinelli) concerning my health and my overall fate with the team, and basically the things I had to say, he didn’t want to hear.

“On Friday they said you’re not going on the trip (to Minnesota) even though I was perfectly healthy on Friday, which is the norm with back spasms for me. …

“Then they said they were gonna look at three possibilities. One, wait a couple weeks to see how my back responds. Two, put me on IR. Three, try and trade me.”

1 Like

Let’s lean in on this point. Matt Millen was fired. The next game Jon Kitna played the entire first half, but wasn’t the QB coming out of the half. We were told it was “back spasms.” His “back spasms” made him inactive the following week. The team shopped him for a trade and then put him on IR. We traded Roy Williams on the same day that we announced Kitna was moving to IR.

In fairness Kitna was a journeyman qb, we knew what we had. Why not play Dan O and see what he could do. Kitna was pissed the moment they fired Martz IMO. The offense was a complete mess without Martz.

In the end it lead to Stafford. All was not lost. Good thing we didn’t draft Aaron Curry :wink:

3 Likes

Kitna got a raw deal, no doubt.

The rats were scrambling to find a chair on the Titanic.

Indeed.

1 Like

That turned out to be a very smart move. Unfortunately, Mayhew burned the 3rd Rd pick on Derrick Williams (who made no sense at all), instead of Mike Wallace.

[quote=“stephenboyd57, post:44, topic:35194, full:true”
In the end it lead to Stafford. All was not lost. Good thing we didn’t draft Aaron Curry :wink:
[/quote]

MY GOD were those some nasty debates. I wasn’t even posting yet but I would shake my head at some of the things that were said
.especially after Curry proved to be a bust

1 Like

The Curry debates were spicy :wink:

Fire Breathing GIF

1 Like

I will own that one. My worst draft call ever.

1 Like

Bad call sure, we all have made similar or worse calls. But I don’t RECALL you still trying to justify it when it was obvious that the Lions made the right pick (Matt Stafford) :wink:

I thought Chance Warmack was going to be Larry Allen and worth a top 5 pick. I thought Jamal Lewis was “too stiff” to be a successful RB in the NFL. When he was mocked to the Lions I cringed. Take a second to think about how good Davante Adams has been in the NFL. That’s how I envisioned LaQuan Treadwell’s career
oops. Treadwell was so bad teams didn’t even want to put him on the field to gain experience in 3-4 WR sets. And who the fudge is “Darius Slay?” Isn’t that the kid who wasn’t nearly as good as his CB teammate opposite of him in college? And we are taking him OVER his teammate because he ran fast in his underwear? SOL :rofl:

2 Likes

You sure are wrong a lot Peabody. :joy:

Don’t feel bad
 when Goff was throwing the ball out of bounds on 4th downs in 2021
 I would have probably traded him for Petey the parakeet :joy:

dumb and dumber bird GIF

1 Like

A broken clock is right twice a day. My mission is to convince the rest of the world that the other 23 hours and 58 minutes were wrong.

inspector gadget GIF

2 Likes

@CuriousHusker would be proud.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.