Revisiting the 2020 draft

I have zero positive feelings towards the previous regime, but as I’m looking at Bob Quinn’s 2020 draft, it’s kind of… not bad? Like, we somehow ended up with legit contributors?

If we make the playoffs this year, or come close, it’ll be because a majority of guys in that class made contributions. I’ll never forgive Quinn for Matt Patricia, but maybe he was a little better as a talent evaluator than he gets credit for?

11 Likes

That draft is starting to shape up as pretty good. Three starters; three depth players.

4 Likes

Yeah I was thinking about this the other day . Not bad at all . Maybe if he didn’t choose such a awful Head Coach he could still have a job .

7 Likes

Batboy wasn’t a horrific personnel guy. I know people here latch on to a specific pick or two and think it’s the end of the world, but he was probably average-to-above average there overall.

The downfall was hiring the Tubby Bitch and then making player/personnel moves to placate said Pile o’ Goo. That was a fireable offense, no doubt. But he wasn’t a horrible GM at drafting.

7 Likes

1 Like

Agreed, if you could get 3 starters and 3 depth guys in every draft, the team would be really good quickly. And Swift isn’t just a starter, he’s legit good! And Jonah was a pro bowler last year.

Speaking of good drafts, how about Holmes getting Sewell, Alim and St. Brown last year. Those 3 guys are studs already. Still not sure about Levi, Iffy and Barnes. But hitting on 3 studs in 1 draft is still really good.

From the 22 draft, Hutch and Rodrigo look like home runs as well!

Good things happen when you draft well!

7 Likes

3 Likes

Drafting when your job depends on it will help incentivize such things.

Also passing on Herbert still stings a little.

5 Likes

But I understand when your job is on the line drafting a future QB is not the smartest move.

1 Like

At the time we still had Stafford though in his prime. That would have been a strange pick to take Herbert at number 3 overall to be a backup when you are trying to win now. Kinda like the Packers taking Jordan Love instead of getting Rodgers weapons when they had a super bowl contender.

6 Likes

I think most on here at the time applauded Quinn seemingly going more for upside in that draft.

I pray to god this backfires on them, they’re over due…

3 Likes

I think it already has to some extent. There super bowl window was there, they drafted a backup QB instead of getting a stud WR or defensive player. Now Adams is gone. The Super Bowl window is closed for them in my book. I still think they will win 9 or 10 games though.

1 Like

I agree they missed a window. Now for it to completely back fire need Love to be a miss. Not sure what he is, but I do like the fact that he couldn’t beat out one of the Blow’s for a backup spot as a rookie

2 Likes

Totally agree. I don’t want to get carried away–I don’t think he was a genius or anything. 2020 was probably his best draft class. He had plenty of useless picks, especially in the 2nd, and his judgement in the first was often suspect too. But he wasn’t, like, totally inept. Like probably around-average or slightly below replacement-level GM. Teams have done worse (and certainly the Lions have).

2 Likes

I think the pack is were the Lions was with Stafford. Your gonna win so many games because of Rodgers, but you take him off that team and there a 3 win team and not very good.

2 Likes

You know, I completely forgot that Swift was taken in the same draft as Okudah and JO. For some reason it feels like we’ve had Swift longer. Maybe it’s because th other two haven’t played nearly as much or had the same impact. I don’t know…it’s weird but I swear it feels like swift has been here at least two seasons longer than either of them :sweat_smile:

Quinn may have not been that bad, but Holmes is better, and I don’t think it’s debatable.

So good job us.

1 Like

I’d still rather have Brad.
The fact is, Quinn hired an asshole for HC. Brad hired the best coaching staff the Lions have ever had.

1 Like