Roadmap to top five pick

So what’s to say he doesn’t opt out his rookie year? What’s to say he doesn’t get a concussion and decides to quit? That’s exactly the point. Do you invest a top three pick with that on the table? Top five? Top ten? Only to have him not play? It doesn’t matter if he’s the greatest talent ever if he’s not on the field.

I’m not questioning his talent, or fit, I’m questioning where teams are going to put their level of investment :thinking:

If he opts out next season, everything just rolls forward one.

Any and everything else is always a concern. Can happen with any player.

It’s a world wide pandemic. He may not have had the highest risk of death from the virus, but he may have family members who would fall into that category.

There was a concern for younger folks that heart conditions may result from catching it. Many many unknowns when those players opted out. I just don’t think it will be anywhere near as large a factor as you do. His not playing football for a year will matter way more than the why part.

1 Like

Normally, I’d agree, to not take a high pick on someone who opted out. But this year is an exception. Hell, the entire Big 10 had to be sued to play any games. I don’t see how anyone could hold it against a player to sit out this shit year

2 Likes

This is why teams conduct interviews, and they’re more important than combine #s

1 Like

Exactly. The conferences that were pushing to start on time took a ton of heat for taking that stance. Over player safety.

The course of time has mellowed things from way back in July and August, but playing the season was not a forgone conclusion.

That’s why the pandemic still being a major factor when the draft occurs will help them in my opinion. The reason will still be very very evident. Even with the vaccines. Things will not be back to normal.

1 Like

Well we’re #8 right now, so I’m hoping we’ll at least jump up a spot or two.

Perfect spot to get another Tight End!

All joking aside, what if we picked another CB like Patrick Surtain?..and followed it up with a DT, DE, or LB.

Best Player Available. So many damn holes. Take talent. Maybe give a slight bump to positions of need.

2 Likes

How well did it work out last time we took a guy that sat out the year with a top 10 pick? It worked out awesome, didn’t it?

1 Like

In 1918? Cause that’s the last time I know of a situation like this.

We’re not truly at 8 yet. This week has to play out still.

That wasn’t because he sat out a year, it was because he was bad at football and never should have been drafted.

I remember a couple of years ago when everyone was giving Nick Bosa heat for shutting it down early in the season to prepare for the draft. That worked out pretty well for the Niners, I’d say.

Shutting it down for draft stock is different than shutting it done for a world wide pandemic.

You are correct.

Try 2005 and Mike Williams

1 Like

There was a world wide pandemic that shut everything down in 2005?

Did I miss that?

1 Like

This is a good conversation with great points and counterpoints. I think it’s exactly the kind of conversation that will be had in many front offices, with some teams going in one direction or another. This is exactly why I am saying that it MIGHT not be clear cut that Parsons goes top five, or even top ten. He may very well fail to us naturally. Maybe.

I think it’s also important to consider team needs versus what’s available. Do the Bengals take him when trying to surround Burrows with talent? Does a Bellichik disciple like Flores have an interest in the aspect of a team first philosophy? The point is, these are valid and legitimate questions that every team has to evaluate.

Personally, I can’t see a team out there where the need for Parsons is a greater fit than with the Lions. Assuming he checks the boxes, he would be a fantastic fit here.

A year out is a year out…There is no difference

Not that it matters but IIRC Clarett and BMW wanted to play but their early entrant challenge ended their eligibility.

1 Like

Parsons does have the option to go back to college next year if he doesn’t like what he’s hearing as well. He lost no year of eligibility by opting out.

Just to refresh memories, Mike Williams followed the lead of Maurice Clarette and declared for the draft and hired an agent. He thought it was legal in doing so, but he was deemed ineligible for the draft after the fact. Given that he had hired an agent, he was not allowed to go back to USC. He was essentially put in limbo for a year, but wanted to play.