Robert Woods might be ideal DJ Chark replacement for Detroit Lions

# Robert Woods might be ideal DJ Chark replacement for Detroit Lions

Sorry if I missed this article posed elsewhere. I’d LOVE to see Robert Woods in Detroit. Good guy, absolute pro; would be a great addition to the WR room whether Chark stays but especially if he goes. He and JG enjoyed some very good years together. Woods was especially strong on those mid-level cross routes JG excels at. And, as the article notes, hopefully he wouldn’t be too pricey.

Not surprisingly, Kupp wants him back in LA.

3 Likes

Also known to be very good blocker in the run game…
maybe even better that some TEs… :hushed:

5 Likes

I consider myself a great addition to the wrong room as well. Then I just stand there trying to figure out what I went in there for. Once I figure out I walked into the wrong room I leave. But I feel like I left it a better place.

1 Like
1 Like

Well, yeah, eventually you leave the wrong room. But you always dawdle a bit first, amirite?

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

If it’s the bathroom you better be older than me.

1 Like

Can anyone convince me he is better than Josh Reynolds right now?

Thinking you can’t. Old, injury issue, under 10yd/catch and would be running routes similar to Sun God and our TE.

He isn’t the fit.

11 Likes

Yep, brought him up last week. If the knee checks out medically, I’d be all for it. The dudes a great locker room guy, run blocks, has chemistry with Goff, would be a great mentor for Jamo. If he’d be willing to sign a short term deal, I’d be all for it.

2 Likes

Woods was not much of a speed guy was he? But boy I love the idea of someone else who emphasizes blocking.

3 Likes

Not a burner, but by no means slow (4.51 combine) - and a little shiftiness to him. Good acceleration.

I haven’t seen him play in three years, so, especially w/the knee injury he certainly might not have he running skills he had. But, yes, EXCELLENT blocker.

Cedric Tillman or Kayshon Boutte for me as DJ Chark replacement.

Also, I’m the weirdo that wants Golladay back only at the very minimum though. There’s no way he fell off that far, he’s a Dakota boy he might just have hated The City

1 Like

Woods is one of those guys you don’t realize how good he is unless he’s on your team. Aikman called him a top 3 reciever in the league at one point. Not that I agreed with that. But Woods is a guy who can do everything. He just isn’t particularly big bodied. But he plays fast, great blocker and really good hands and routes. He’s a faster more quick twitch St.Brown but probably less physical with the ball in his hands then Ra. Not sure how much he has left but could be a bargain for Detroit or a solid replacement for Chark.

3 Likes

Night and day difference bewteen Woods and Reynolds. Josh Reynolds has always been a tease. A good game followed by 3 meh at best ones. I know Woods had a down year in Tennessee but not sure he had the QB play he would need to succeed.

2 Likes

Woods is a downward pointing arrow. Not sure he is able to run those jet sweeps guven age and clear lack of burst in 22.

Never caught 7 tds in a season? 6ft tall? We’d have a WR corps full of little guys except for Reynolds them.

I think given the market he will get a decent deal and Im not interested except at a low low price.

Pass.

3 Likes

True, but Goff prefers recievers who are route runners and know where they are supposed to be over just throwing it up to them. During Goffs tenure in LA, he never had a true big bodied reciever. And the Rams won plenty.

I dont know how much he has left. But I’m giving Woods a pass with Willis and fading Tannehill throwing him the ball. Just saying he could be a excellent alternative to Chark or any other plan A or B option.

2 Likes

I like your assessment and I say bring him in if he’s cheap. I think he is very twitchy in and out of his breaks and that seperation he creates makes him a perfect target for Goff. He is a precise route runner who gets to his spot on time. Goff does not throw jump balls receivers have to run precise routes. All that with the blocking makes him a perfect fit.

2 Likes

Ideal?! I disagree.

1 Like

new blood only - And let’s build on DJ’s fine end of season performance.

2 Likes

I like Woods but I don’t think he’s a clear upgrade from Chark. I think we only target people that are clear upgrades, especially since Chark is already familiar with Ben Johnson’s offense.

2 Likes

Yeah. Unless they are drafting someone with a long term vision for how he’d replace Chark why bother messing with a good thing.

Think about how long it took for each of the receivers to get chemistry with Goff. Took Chark half the season. Took ARSB half a season. Jamo is still coming along. And it seems he’s found it with Raymond.

Reynolds had prior chemistry and that’s why he was force fed year one when he came in.

Woods would be able to step in right away but he wouldn’t fill the same role as Chark imo.

1 Like