Roster battles of interest

Word! Loving it all. Dan is truly a special talent. This is already a very fun ride for me. I can see it already

There were those with doubts early on, especially after the kneecap thing, but I liked him more than any coach in recent history. And by recent, I mean back until about Billy Sims or so.

oh man…. if @Cap sees this post… this thread is gonna blow up!!! :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

2 Likes

Look like Tarzan play like Jane!

LOL -
Through Jack Fox’s lens, Tarzan DOES look more like a “Jane”…and actual Jane looks like another woman that’s chasing after him.

1 Like

My hope/take with only the info to have right now…

OFFENSE-

QB:2 - Goff/Blough

RB:4- Swift/Williams/Jefferson/Cabinda

WR:6-Chark/Jamo/ASB/Reynolds/Cephus/Raymond

OL:5 -Decker/Jackson/Rags/Big V/Sewell- locks
OL Depth:3- Ezze/Jarvis/E Brown

TE:3- Hock/J Mitchell- Matt Nelson-

• That is 23 offensive players- that I think are pretty sure things.

SPECIAL TEAMS-

Patterson: K
D Scott: LS
J Fox: P

• so that is 26…

DEFENSE-

Edge:5- Hutch/JO/Paschal/Romeo/C Harris

IDL: 4- McNeill/Brockers/Levi O/J Cornell

LB:4- Anzalone/Barnes/J Davis/Rodriguez

CB: 6- AO/Okudah/Jacobs/Iffy/Parker/Hughes

S: 5- Walker/Harris/Elliott/Joseph/Moore

That’s 24 on D-

My best guess for the last 3?

Benson
Board
Houston

With us liking the two TE jumbo sets it would allow Nelson to get reps as a pure blocking TE and swing tackle…. So he doubles as TE and OT

Benson is a guy we sought after and traded for. If he’s actually showing us what Holmes thought he saw, I’d hate to waive him off. His size and athletic profile are in excess of typical camp fodder. With Jamo, Cephus, and Chark all coming off big injuries, no reason to avoid depth here early on. If everyone comes back strong- maybe we waive a WR mid year and sign or trade for a LB?

Houston- with a nickname of the problem- I see him a future solution to replace J Okwara possibly. I think Hutch, C Harris, Paschal are the lead 3 in edge rotation in 2023- maybe 2022-

Unless a surprise DT emerges in preseason, I see it like this…

Boyle is no better than picking up a post 53 cut and throwing that guy on the PS…. I dont see a reason for Netflix, Iggy, Bryant etc as with their reps and supporting cast, I’d expect similar results from guys off the street…

Bell could start on PS and become our Netflix possibly?

yikes in this day and age Tarzan could be a Jane.

4 Likes

Nelson is not playing Tight end. Not sure where you got that idea.

I know.

He got that idea from a vision, the same way I discovered that Demetrius Taylor will bump Michael Brockers and his guaranteed money off of the 53 man roster in September.

Great early list and it makes sense. They paid a decent sum to Boyle so if they think Blough can make PS again they may cut him if it’s close.

I loved Houston’s tape. I think he makes it

1 Like

Yes he was last year until Decker got hurt. He was a 6th OL blocking TE in a jumbo package. It gave the Steelers fits.

4 Likes

I saw Campbell say it in the presser, two days ago.

We used that formation in several games actually when Decker came back from injury. Nelson was playing right tackle when Decker was out. When Decker came back, Sewell moved to RT and Nelson was getting reps at TE/6th O-lineman.

This JJ TD run is a perfect example. Watch Matt Nelson…you will see Nelson #67 go in motion and then lay a great block that springs the run open. When facing an undersized defense, I love the formation.

3 Likes

Competition will force the cream to rise…

2 Likes

Ok just wondering since I hadn’t heard anything about it. Sounds interesting.

He was a HS tight end. He was recruited to Iowa as a TE…. He was a swing OT and TE last year in camp -

Once decker and Sewell were rolling he only played TE, and it worked?

Not sure why you would think he wouldn’t be used as a blocking TE who can serve as an OT in a pinch- the money they gave E Ezze and his size and upside make him a better bet as a swing tackle beyond just this year.

Nelson
Raymond
Board
Paschal
Harris
Cornell
JO

All guys with size, athletic profile and experience to help in multiple ways- thus I think they all potentially make it…. Board may be tied to Davis and Rodriguez performances-

I hope with a healthy LB room, Analzone is the one they have to cut. Barnes takes a big step, Rodriguez becomes a London Fletcher-Baker type underdog, and Board excels in coverage and on ST- I hope we unlock Davis potential and he beats out Anal

He actually played O and D, and played nothing but D at IOWA.

. Career – – Two-year letterman as defensive end and tight end . .

From Cedar Rapids Xavier. Gotta love the versatility he brings.

1 Like

There are some names I don’t see on your roster that I am curious about…

Netflix. I don’t think he is a lock necessarily, but was surprised tou nentioned Bell being the next possible Netflix… but Netflix isn’t on the roster.

Tommy Kraemer. He has limitations athleticly, but would be a little surprised to see 2 UDFA rookies make it.

Brock Wright. I might be wrong, but I think Campbell and staff might be happy with Wright’s improvement last year, and his 9.21 RAS score suggests he has the size and speed to get better.

Bobby Price. Price is the top returning gunner on special teams with Hodge gone. After watching the inside the den video of the draft and the way they emphasized special teams late in the draft, it reinforces my thought that Price may make the team.

4 Likes

I love Bobby price

Looks like you misinterpreted what Campbell said