Safeties

PS Bring back Bracy Walker

Man, if we could get McKinley in the 5th I would be so ecstatic. Imagine if he was the second safety we took in this draft. Dude is a dog, he reminds me of Diggs, and now that u mention it we took him in the 6th…

Tell me yall dont see Diggs when u watch this.

I get more of a Glover Quinn opportunism and ball skills vibe but I’m definitely a fan as well.

Diggs had 5 Ints each of the last two seasons. I’m gonna tweet at him and him and tell him CuriousHusker is doubting his hands.

Not doubting his hands. I just remembered Quinn as being a better ball hawk while a Lion. I do believe Diggs had a 3 int game here though

IF we took a safety at 34, Pitre would be my choice too because of his versatility. He reminds me a lot of the Honey Badger and if that’s the type of player he turns out to be, he would be a steal.

If the Lions take him I hope I’m wrong and he’s a total game changer for us. I just want players to get excited over again.

I think if Kerby Joseph makes it to 66 I’d make that move. Probably Bryan Price as well. I think that’s the soonest I want to go safety if we stay at our spot. I think I’d go Hamilton at 32 or 34 but despite the 40 times I don’t think that’s in play. I do like Pitre, Hill and Brisker to various extents I just feel as though there will be better value at 32 and 34.

I know the idea of converting a guy is scary but Cam Taylor- Britt could be a dynamic safety.

I’ll be more surprised if Holmes takes a safety at 32 or 34 than if he waits until 66 or later.

well we have to have at least one good safety on the roster

true…. and most good safeties are drafted after the 34th selection.

1 Like

I’m very interested to see what we do at 32 and 34 as we have yet to see any real evidence aside from a mid market contract to Tracey Walker than Brad Holmes wants to throw resources at these positions. Given his Rams background there is a likelihood that we don’t use a day 1 or second rounder on Safety or MLB.

I would be very happy with one of Pitre/Hill/Brisker and Leo Chenal at 32/34 and think they would be immediate starters and upgrades on what we have but wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if these two positions are kicked down road to later draft picks and we prioritise corner, Dline or WR with these picks depending on what’s on the board

1 Like

Bryan Cook is fast becoming one of my safety prospects in this class, mostly because he can be had later than the other guys. I have Cine and Brisker ranked higher but it’s very close, and yet I’m regularly able to get Cook at 97 on the simulators. He reminds me a lot of Jordan Whitehead and he was probably my fave FA option at safety outside of Marcus Williams. I think he’d be great for us.

1 Like

With how they have conducted FA, I wouldnt hold my breath for a LB until they get to rd 3

well let’s take a look:

Top five Safeties in 2021

Fitzpatrick - 11th overall
Baker - 36th
Mathieu - 69th
Adams - 6th overall
Bates - 54th

That’s an average of the 35th pick. So right at the top of the second round.

1 Like

I’d love Cook at 97 but I don’t think he falls that far. Personally I prefer Joseph bc I think he’s more likely to generate turnovers. Cook is more sound and has a more well rounded game though.

And then I keep coming back to Taylor-Britt. Unlike most converts he’s actually played some safety and performed well. The idea of having 4.38 speed and cover skills back there just really intrigued me. He will hit you too. He’ll need to become more sound in his tackling and more disciplined with his eyes if his future is patrolling the deep middle but sky is the limit if it all comes together. I also like that when injuries inevitably decimate the secondary he’s a a potential solution at CB. It would be a risky solution and might be one that would merit a solid true safety like Corker or McKinley on day 3.

I like CTB as well but as a corner. You think he’s better off at safety?

I also think we’re just looking for different things, I kinda want a safety who can at least flex into the box, a SS type, whereas you clearly want more of the FS type. Walker’s kind of a jack of all trades but if I had to choose, I’d rather he play deeper which has me leaning towards the SS. Frankly I wouldn’t mind adding both. And at least Cook has some deep third chops, though I think it would be a disservice to him to line him up there all the time.

not sure if Adams’ teammate thinks he is top 5…
after trying to catch an INT with his face mask.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

We are looking for different things. I know I’m in the minority but I want two free safeties with some capabilities playing downhill. It’s a passing league and given the modern rules I just don’t think “enforcers” carry that much value nowadays.

I think Taylor-Britt is okay at CB. He has started potential but I hardly see him as a star. He doesn’t track the ball all that well and would often lose out against high level contested catch guys. I just worry that he’ll often be in position and yet not make the play. I think some of that goes away when he’s the help defender in the pass game. Having watched him a ton I do believe his upside is much, much higher at safety. Though amongst draftniks there does seem to be some debate about what his best position is.

1 Like