Sam LaPorta - You're Welcome Lions Nation

I think LaPorta vs other TE options will definitely be something we will all be looking for. Personally I believe O’Cyrus wasn’t a scheme fit for us. He would limit what we could do on offense, and he wasn’t good enough IMO to justify it.

If I recall correctly, you brought that up on draft night. And sure enough, Cameron Young was available with our 4th rounder. He actually went with the very next pick after our original 4th rounder.

Personally I am okay with the move. But I am a person that doesn’t really care about picks in the 5th round and later. To me the “real draft” is rounds 1 thru 4. Picks in round 5 and later are better used to acquire existing NFL players or as chips to move around in the first 4 rounds. One thing we didn’t know was that Brad made getting a NT a priority, because he knew that Alim had lost a bunch of weight and would be used differently this season. With that being the case, I am okay with making sure he got his guy. The guys he sacrificed to get Martin were 5th round picks. And I doubt many of those guys are going to be much of anything in the NFL.

I also believe that a team can only support X number of rookies in any given year. Even with the trade up for Martin we have 8 draft picks plus a handful of interesting UDFA prospects that have a chance of sticking on the roster or the practice squad. I feel like that is plenty. The only guy I personally liked way more than the teams did is Texas A&M Safety Antonio Johnson. I gave a comp to Kam Chancellor. Its interesting that both of them went in the 5th round.

2 Likes

I’m fine with it. Martin’s traits are freaky. Outside of Dexter Lawrence there isn’t another comp I could find. Obviously a ways to go but they clearly believe in this particular moonshot so let’s see.

1 Like

Yes I did bring that up immediately on draft day about Cameron Young. Psycology it’s hard to grasp after months of getting a guy round 5/6 in mock drafts such as Brodric Martin or Cameron Young knowing it’s a steal…to see us load up and go to round 3 to get him using 3 picks.

Ocyrus not being a fit seemed to be the theme. But I sure loved the idea of drafting OCyrus & Darnell Washington and playing bully ball.

Yes!! Like when we got Sims OG, Lojack DE, Julian Peterson I think? etc back in the day. Mathew did well at that.

You either trade late picks for veterans OR
use them to move up like we did Okudah pick to get Branch
OR use the pick and get Rodrigo/Houston.

You NEVER trade the pick for an unproven ‘talent’ … that’s why I HATE the Trinity Benson move.

Goes against the Rule. Plain and Simple. Just hit the waiver wire.

You might be on to something here…there’s always a Kam Chanchellor, Hufanga, Justin Simmons, etc safety that goes much later than he should…

I have no problems ever throwing darts day 3 at LB, RB, and S…or OL development guys

As we have said, Brad cares about more than just game film. As much as we can critique Martin as a player, Brad had his reasons for elevating the kid. We have seen that Martin has a good personality, and is upbeat. Brad identified him as a guy who is going to show up on Wednesday as the same guy every week…win or lose. Brad also pointed out the hustle plays he saw from Martin, and that it is rare to see that kind of hustle from big guys. When Brad said that it instantly brought up images in my head of Haloti Ngata. When Haloti ended RG3’s career, it wasn’t in the pocket. It was 13 yards downfield. Think about that for a second.

Speaking of pyschology, Brad used 2 picks…not 3. The other pick was the pick to take the player. And it would have happened whether we stayed put or not. So he used (2) 5th rounders to elevate his 4th round pick to a 3rd round pick.

That being said, your feelings on it are justified. Even when you listen to Bro Mart tell the story, he was in the middle of setting up his draft party for the next day when he got the call from the Lions. :rofl: Brad feels like he earned the right to be aggressive on Martin by being patient earlier in the draft. Even when he knew he wanted Hooker, he still traded down twice.

lol, what exactly is “hard contact football discussion”?

I’m really hopeful this is a bit, like espnbaby but not as funny.

Sometimes I wonder just how many accounts a few of these guys have posted under. Notwally37 hasn’t been around in awhile either, hmmmmm. YAC, Ninja, and Wally are never around at the same time now are they. :wink:

1 Like

3 picks then lol
(2 5ths and a 4th)

Right on. We started the trend because the 9ers decided to dictate their own draft by taking Jake Moody end of 3 as well.

Didn’t wanna miss “your guy” so dictate the draft

That Ninja is a tricky one.

Best Beverly Hills Ninja GIFs | Gfycat

2 Likes

Be sure to see both the screen grabs above. One involved Kincaid, the other LaPorta (whom I named in the official draft context here for round 2).

“The darkest of my black belt is like the inside of a coffin on a moonless night”

1 Like

holy-shinto

1 Like

Ok, but I don’t see people criticizing or disagreeing with LaPorta at No. 48.

Yes, we see that. When left to your own imagination, you would have traded up into the 1st round to get Kincaid.

So You Yac would’ve traded up for Kincaid

And in the mock contest where you predict what you think Holmes will do; you pegged Laporta.

But in your defense I will give you this

1 Like

My hope was: trade down to get extra trade capital & grab Kincaid late 1st round.

Kinda worked out that way in reality, except for LaPorta. We traded down and used surplus pick on LaPorta in round 2.

Yes Jman, this was one one my posts from my first month here. Tight end rich draft. Hoped we’d take advantage and get our nutrients.

Sure about that?

Used the search feature to find this “CatholicNinja”. Below is his post after the draft. I’ll let you detectives evaluate how views/style compare.

Notice the dates for both posts: April 29.

CatholicNinja

Me
Here from the same date, one of my posts.

If this forum is restless for an arch nemesis, a Moriarity or Khan, who inculcates all trolls, criminals and arch villains…always under a different name or guise…

I’ll take the idea up with my agent. Could be interesting. If my knee-cap-remover junior assistant internship role falls through, could be plan B.

For now just here to talk Lions, with my goofy way and love of analytics.

I was going to say, ‘I admire Icelanders, and Janitors’.
Wth?

Need a new nom de plume? Try Domineco Canfura–that would be a blast from the past–an inhabitant of the original version of the Den.

2 Likes