Sam LaPorta - You're Welcome Lions Nation

His argument predraft wasn’t for a particular TE. It was for the Lions taking a TE in early round one. He named 3 that he felt were worthy for a Lions first round pick. Only Kincaid went round one and he went at pick 25. After the Lions picks….

When posters pointed to the fact that the value isn’t there to take a TE round one. He countered with a claim that some TE’s had a 1st round post draft value worthy of a top 10 pick even though they were not drafted until round 3 and later.

This is really an odd argument to make.

If so many TE’s really had a top 10 value like he claimed then more teams would be taking TE’s earlier. Truth is that they are not and that it held true again this last draft.

Taking a TE in round one isn’t necessary and few teams do it for a reason. That’s the message posters we’re trying to tell him and what he was actually debating against.

3 Likes

This is obvious , but inaccurate to how the predraft discussions went.

The majority stance was we don’t need to draft a TE because our TE room is set. Just look at Mitchell he caught 7 of 7 balls, and Brockenson the great RAS score, and Zylstra!

Fortunately, nobody including Holmes & company considered a TE at 18.

Even 34 was a stretch, but once you saw the draft play out Thursday it was obvious it was coming.

we took Laporta over Branch. The Branch pick , using the Okudah 5th, is likely the pick that “saved” our draft in terms of value.

He turns out to be a stud NB the way we hoped Spoon was going to be at #6 at CB then all is gravy baby

1 Like

This is not accurate @Jman

@Mr.Peabody and I have been consistent in our posts that a TE should NEVER be taken in the 1st round… regardless of what the current TE room has to offer. NEVER!!!

I like LaPorta quite a bit…. but #34 made me a bit queasy.
I think he will be good… and I also think he would have been picked by another team if Holmes hadn’t taken him… so kudos to Holmes for that.

1 Like

Right, We as Lions fans know that it’s obvious.

But that wasn’t the point pre draft. The stance was dont draft a TE our room is set.

Two completely different things

that was not my stance… nor was it for many people.
many wanted a TE in round 4 or 5

2 Likes

It was a good draft for TE glad we got one Day 2 to be a starter. Especially the kid from Iowa, TIght End U.

Kinda weird round 1) was Bama + Iowa and round 2) was Bama + Iowa

Already had Mitchell from prior year who was round 5 guy that fell.

Still bummed we missed the Coastal Carolina kid Isaiah Likely. He was a pff darling and looks to be a steal round 4 last year.

I did not argue for picking a TE in the top 10 or even top 16 picks. Such claims are slander. My sensibilities on positional value precluded that. I liked Kincaid late 1st round, and LaPorta as early perhaps as middle 2nd. Lions picked Sam a bit higher than I would have done – in a vacuum. The draft isn’t conducted in a vacuum.

The overwhelming consensus on this forum was to not pick a TE in the first 3 rounds. There were perhaps a few posters outside this consensus. With some there was a Jihad like anger at the mere thought of drafting a TE before round 5.

Again: most everything in life and football is contextual, and the talent distribution of this class salted my thinking. The backdrop in this case was a poor class for trench players and WR, with perhaps half a dozen interesting TEs worthy of consideration in rounds 1-3.

1 Like

Some truth to this. If you re-arrange the order of the picks, a lot of the critics struggle to find fault w/the Lions draft.

1 Like

I saw Jman post on another thread that he was ahead of me in TE advocacy. Chronologically or in craft of argument that might very well be true. I don’t honestly recall.

I’ll just say my views are my own, and I was sure made to feel by some here…that my opinions WERE NOT WELCOME IN THE CLUBHOUSE

I was just talking smack, idk if it was or not.

I’m sure your opinions were welcomed, but people disagree. That’s the beauty of this place. It’s about the dialogue as @Mr.Peabody points out. Not being right or wrong.

I agree with you too, a little smack talk after the fact is fun. Helps pass the time until season starts when we turn our attention to blaming players, coaches, and refs. Instead of each other lol

2 Likes

Since you are now more amenable to a bit of ribbing…

Perhaps you are reconsidering your previous claim of my sociopathic nature. :wink:

How else could I get Christian Bale American Psycho into the discussion?

I’ll apologize only if you combine your names and start posting as CATHOLICYAC

I offer a more polite and gentlemanly “salute” to you, Jman.

Cheers mate, have a good day
Kickoff tonight

1. Edited for clarity: As we both like competition and playful trash talking I look forward to our future battles.

Enjoy the game, Go Lions!

I do not view this as accurate. I think where your perception of the conversations differs from what others saw is because you were adamant on taking a TE as a priority. So your conversations with people were in that light. Many posters were fine with a TE in Round 2 or Round 3. Those are not the people you were engaging with.

You made that up.

You tried to get into a convoluted discussion with me that guys like Gronk, Kelce and Kittle have “top 10 pick POST DRAFT value” so teams should disregard traditional thinking and get with your advanced metrics. :rofl:

@Jman saw TE as a priority for the offseason. The staff agreed with him. They disagreed with you on taking one in the 1st round.

An opinion of taking a TE in the 1st round is not welcome. Its like watching someone snort coke and beat their wife. At some point we have to intervene and stop the foolishness. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That was just another accurate assessment by @Jman . No need to reconsider reality.

3 Likes

I think he’s a run-of-the-mill narcissist, possibly the vulnerable or inverted subtype. I am all too familiar with these people through personal experience. Anyhoo, when I read YAC’s posts I hear them in the voice of HG Tudor, a self-proclaimed malignant narcissist in Britain who has a youtube channel. Creepy but entertaining… unlike YAC for me. Shrug.

1 Like

Anyone can click on the quote or do a quick search and read your arguments. There’s no slander here.

This thread is about owning your stance …. own it.

There were some who felt we didn’t need a TE and that Goff played well with the TE’s he had. Which is true…. He did and it’s a fair argument.

But the real debate was all about taking a TE early in the draft. Mainly round one. Most Lions fans are strongly against taking a TE round one. I’m one of them. Always have been.

3 Likes

Here is submission #1 from the archives about my pre-draft opinions. Regrettably I got busy and never finished all my picks. Could have possibly won.

This is a link to the thread: