Savage- Jalen Carter

“Carter is not a dog. Dogs wait for someone to make a mistake and then they capitalize. Carter is a bear. You can do everything right and he still takes what he wants.” That’s paraphrasing myself a few days ago after I dove into a film study of Carter vs Anderson. Carter is a special talent that has the potential to keep offenses up at night and force them to change their normal blocking assignments. They might also have to take certain types of plays and throw them out of the playbook entirely, narrowing down their play selection.

Anderson is not on that level. He is a threat off the edge but he is largely going to rely on scheme and mistakes by the offense to make an impact. I would view him as a 7-9 sack guy who could occasionally pop for 12-14 if the stars align for a season. He is going to get in the way in the running game. He will not be a force in that department, and he will struggle against lineman blowing him off the ball. Teams will probably just used TE’s to block him in the run game.

5 Likes

HAHHAAH! Love the Nick Fairley scare him into thinking he’d be slammed!

Yes to this!

I was thinking that too.

2 Likes

I’d love to see J Carter wearing the Hnolulu & Blue next year. But then again I wanted Jordan Davis over Hutch…so what the hell do I know.

I fully expect us to land 2 of the top 3 defensive players in this draft.

6 Likes

I hear pundits (Mel kiper being one) saying that Jalen Carter is actually the #1 non QB in this draft and that by the time the draft rolls around everyone will recognize it. Which might not work out the best for us. :cry:

I can see Anderson taking a thibedeuax style fall.

EDIT: posted this before I watched the clip. Seems like the commentators said exactly what I just said. I’m gonna temper my expectations but would LOVE Carter for us. Hard to see us trading up but damn.

2 Likes

So if carter and Anderson are there who do we take? Im mixed now, i was on the Anderson board, carter looks like more of a need and seems maybe better. If rams give us the 2nd or 3rd were in good shape.

3 Likes

Speaking of Davis…he’s coming back from IR tomorrow. Was out all of November. Will be active tomorrow vs the Titans… Davis vs Derick Henry could be a fun matchup!

4 Likes

I would not worry too much about that

Wolford isn’t going to win games

4 Likes

Didn’t he win one or two in 2020. Obviously that was a better Rams team. :man_shrugging:

If anything prevents the Lions from the number 2 pick it’s Russell Wilson. That’s the game I could see the Rams taking. I think the rest of the Rams opponents will score too many points.

Will Anderson has 27.5 sacks over the last 2 years and Thibodeaux had like 9 over his last 2 or something.

I think Carter is a very good player, but I feel like passing on Anderson is a huge mistake.

3 Likes

So, this will be THE discussion this winter :grinning:

9 Likes

I sure hope so because it would mean we have the 2nd or 3rd pick. Tank Rams Tank!!

tank GIF

6 Likes

He’s been playing hurt.

The guy is a beast when he’s 100%

6 Likes

We are going to get Carter, whoever with our pick, and Sewell’s brother early in the 2nd. Not to mention signing Lamar Jackson. It’s going to be a great off-season.

3 Likes

Carter has been the pick I’ve wanted for a while. His disruptive behavior would bring back the suh days and make our DLine a force. He has to be the pick!

4 Likes

Yes, but you also wanted us to select Justin Fields…

Now to be fair, Will Anderson is an alluring prospect as well. The Lions would be tremendously fortunate to be in the 2 spot picking between the two. Seems all we need is 1 more win for the Bears and 1 more for the Broncos. Broncos Rams game is massive for the Lions.

2 Likes

OMG! If that holds up…top 10 defense, top 3 offense.
Immediate contener.

1 Like

How do you measure his game wrecking ability compared to Micah? I know you loved him coming out. A lot did, but you were pretty vocal about it. It’s early - but how do you stack up Carter’s ability to wreak havoc on the offense compared to Parsons coming out of college?

Also is injury a concern with Carter?

2 Likes

And beyond…sadly.

2 Likes

What does that have to do with absolutely anything regarding Will Anderson?

1 Like

So where you playing Anderson? At 240 he is light for a DE on a 4 man front. Are you switching back to a 3 man front again?

My only issue with Anderson is his weight as A DE, he is built more as an OLB

1 Like