Savage- Jalen Carter

Then that means you think Micah Parsons is light for a 4-3 DE and he’s doing just fine. We can move him around, obviously, but I think he’d be fine as a 4-3 DE. We’d have to watch a lot of Cowboys film and see how they use Parsons.

It wasn’t too long ago that people (including myself) were calling Anderson the best defensive prospect since LT. What happened? He had another double digit sack year this year and that was with all the double and triple teams he got. I’m not sure what’s causing this much doubt in everyone about him because he’s still the same player.

4 Likes

While I’ve disagreed with HSV as far as evaluating college QB’s, he and I regularly share the same position on other players.

It wouldn’t surprise me if we end up with a top board that looked like last years with only 2 players on it, Anderson & Carter.

Let’s say everything goes as expected for the rest of the season and we end up with at least 2-3 more wins. Not what we want but definitely still heading in the right direction. If I was Holmes, I would sit down with HC & Goff and let him know he was 100% our guy but you are going to hear a LOT about us taking a QB. I expect full court press. I want to be contacting Houston about trading up. I want to have GM/HC at OSU & Alabama pro days.

The Rams pick is looking like being in the 2-3 range. Best case scenario = only QB’s go before our pick. We want teams feeling like they need to trade up if they want a QB (and we were to end up at #3). We want Houston to take a QB instead of trying to get cute and get one with their 2nd 1st round pick.

Worst case scenario for us is Anderson/Carter go 1-2 and we are picking 3.

2 Likes

I hope we have the opportunity to see Carter go against he MI O-Line. Should be a great test for him.

3 Likes

If he is there with our first pick, it’s a no brainer to me.

Will Anderson would be a fine consolation prize

3 Likes

I’m with you. Draft Anderson. If we need to gowith a bit more 3-4 we have pretty good personal to do that.

If we get him I’d hope we design a defense in which he’s a chess piece.

Carter is a cleaner fit but your betting on the over the top dominance. Whereas you’ve already seen it with Anderson.

I’m elated with either one though.

3 Likes

I love Anderson as well. And production to me is so important at the top of the draft. 27.5 sacks in the last 2 seasons is just wild. I wonder if Anderson could learn to play some off ball linebacker, and then rush the passer on passing downs/situations. That’s why Parsons is so impressive he can play both positions at a high level and offenses have no idea where he is going to be on any given play. Really ■■■■■ up blocking schemes.

Anderson on the edge on early downs, I think they would run right at him at 240 pounds, now he might get heavier when he becomes a pro…he is a tall dude. People forget he’s 6’4, no reason he couldn’t get up to 255-60 and play on the outside full time at that height and still be fast as lightning.

Demarcus Ware was 6’4 - 258 and was a complete stud for example. I see a similar build in Anderson Jr. with the lean, long armed build. Jevon Kearse is another example of that build with freak speed like Anderson has off the edge.

3 Likes

Only better. supposedly this year he has been focused on better use of his hands and adding moves to his arsenal. I am excited for either one (since that pick was going to be in the 20s by most people’s thinking). I like them so much I would trade pick 1B and our 2 seconds to get them both. corners wouldn’t have to cover long and they wouldn’t even need to wash the backers jerseys.

2 Likes

Word.
I haven’t really started looking at all. Not sure if my opinion changes, but I catch myself being swayed by you guys already. Right now, I’m in for Carter most…Especeially if they are fairly equal from a talent standpoint. DT is just so important, but ultimately, I want who brings the most heat.

3 Likes

I have seen Will Anderson drop into coverage at Alabama… and he is smooth in space. He’s got fluid hips… didn’t look difficult for him.

Carter’s upside is way higher than Jordan Davis IMO. Much more versatile, quicker.

5 Likes

Agreed, Davis offers very little as a pass rusher.

1 Like

Not just Campbell. Hutch, Alim, Rodrigo, Pascal, Houston. These guys are hungry. Taking plays off won’t fly.

2 Likes

Yep, he’s another Snacks. Great player to have but not really a 3 down guy at his peak. Carter is more like Donald/Suh if he puts it all together, not on that level but the prototype.

5 Likes

AhhhMaaayZhung, if true

1 Like

Yeah man. No one is saying in this thread that Will Anderson isn’t an elite prospect. He is. We’d be ecstatic if we were able to grab him. He’d hunt QBs with Hutch (and Houston now) for a long time.

I think the debate really centers around whether Brad, DC and AG believe the unlocked upside that’s just beneath the surface for Carter right now, is potentially more of a paradigm shifter for our defense with his ability to rip and rush from inside, or whether a closer-to-finished product in Anderson is the better/safer investment even though he wouldn’t really help our interior pass rush.

If Anderson turned out to be Derrick Thomas/Von Miller/Micah Parsons, it would be a jackpot. Really, we can’t lose with either guy. Risk is higher with Carter. Does the upside justify the risk? Perhaps. That was a King Kong move, one-arm lift of Jayden Daniels like a rag doll.

5 Likes

A penetrating DT is the #1 need in my books

Draft discussions are over in my mind
We must take Carter if he’s there for us

8 Likes

I stand with you, my brother.

Also…how many wins o we need to get before you change “SameAsItEverWas” to “NewLionsRule”?

:facepunch: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I’d have put Parson above both Carter and Anderson for one main reason. His versatility…… Parson would have succeeded in just about any scheme. But to be honest they are 3 totally different players and it’s an unfair comparison. Because I could make the argument for any 3. All 3 players are difference makers.

I really love Anderson as a player but I think he’s less scheme versatile than Parsons was but he’s a beast. In the right situation Anderson is going to be a monster. Personally I think Anderson is better suited to play an Edge/LBer type role than a DE role. He has range, is smooth in traffic and take great angles. He’s a stud for sure.

Carter is the guy who I see as the better fit for us and a bigger need. At times he is extremely disruptive. If everything were equal I’d put him behind both Anderson and Parsons.

10 Likes

Well said, Cash!

3 Likes

This is what I see too.

3 Likes