Scary when your GM admits to not believing in Cousins

So basically you were wrong up until
Last year , is what your saying

3 Likes

So basically you have no rebuttal, is what you’re saying.

So please tell me what separated Stafford from Cousins all these years (the last 5-6 years), in his Lions tenure.

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

The supporting casts. Kirk Cousins has been surrounded with elite talents while Stafford had to get the most out of guys who were bottom of the league in term of creating separation. Cousins number two guy would easily be our number one receiver and I would still take Goff over Cousins. Cousins has shown that he can’t be a guy that can put a team on his back and win throwing 40 times a game. That’s why despite all his lofty numbers he was still outplayed twice by Goff (with no weapons) and Cooper Rush.

1 Like

Stafford had a good set of receivers just about every year in Detroit including one of the best of all time. Granted, Cousins had better defenses for the most part but it’s not like Stafford had a shortage of weapons.

As far as throwing the ball a lot. Cousins had just about as many attempts as Stafford and won more games since he became a starter.

I’m not saying that Cousins has been better than Stafford but I think they were definitely in the same tier. If Stafford was like 8th or 9th a lot of years, Cousins was like 10th or 11th. I don’t think there was a lot separating them the last 6-7 years, since Cousins became a full time starter.

BTW, I appreciate your well reasoned post as opposed to the other guy who posted the snarky one liner.

4 Likes

Who were the elite talents in Washington?

1 Like

Cousins won me my fantasy football league a few years back. The only year I played regularly

1 Like

There’s a reason that multiple teams lunged to at that opportunity to acquire Stafford while they laughed at Kirk Cousins. Despite being labeled a loser, they saw Stafford getting the most out of guys like Tate, Golladay and Marvin Jones, who were bottom of the league at creating separation. Meanwhile they watched Cousins flounder in mediocrity despite playing with great players like Stefon Diggs, Dalvin Cook, Justin Jefferson, and Adam Thielen.

1 Like

I think Cousins situation has been very similar to what Stafford had here in the years before he left. The most recent couple of years reminds me of how Matt had to drop 40 points just to win football games, and got blamed when he “only” put up 24 or 30 and lost. That’s what the Vikings defense has become. And when Cousins first got to Minny it reminds me of 2013-2014 range for Stafford. The defense was good but Matt and the offense couldn’t quite put teams away like they should.

He was momentarily confused and thought

was his QB.

1 Like

Tate was pretty elite at what he did. He killed it from the slot, ran great routes and was always near the top of the league in missed tackles and YACs

Jones and Golliday were two of the best deep threats in the NFL. They may not have been the type of receivers who ‘got separation’ but were elite at catching contested catches.

Jones in 2017 was the second best deep receiver in the NFL hauling in 15 deep receptions in 2017, (trailing only Cooks/Goff ironically)

1 Like

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2019/11/19/kenny-golladay-marvin-jones-continue-to-thrive-despite-tight-coverage/

Read the article. Golladay was dead last at average yards per separation, Marvin was down there with him. Keep trying to gas those guys up. The fact is Stafford made people believe Jones and Golladay were better than they were.

Now ask your self why none of these players have played like that sense they left here.

Maybe not you probably won’t like the answer

1 Like

Well Tate and Jones are in their 30’s now and Golliday who is always hurt got his payday and cashed it in.

2 Likes

Lol ok, you must have missed the part they had there best years with Matt.

You are trying to give these guys credit for being so good and helping Matt, when in steed it was Matt making these players look better then they were. And all have been less effective with out him.

But off course it’s all them reasons you listed. And had nothing to do with there QB.

Marvin’s best year of his career was when he was 27 years old…playing with Matt Stafford. However, Marvin’s year last year was in line with how he has produced for the rest of his career.

1 Like

This is true Marvin didn’t have the drop off others did had him in my fantasy and he was solid.

1 Like

Angry Looney Tunes GIF by Looney Tunes World of Mayhem

Stafford was great for all the wide receivers. He always ran a pass first offense that used short passes to set up long passes. You may want to consider that pointing out the wide receivers were really good here isn’t necessary an inverse criticism on Stafford. Which is how it seems you take it (never minding that we also had the greatest wide receiver of all time in CJ)

Tate was great for Seattle too. Won a Superbowl as the go to WR on that team. He was a YAC, tackle breaking machine

It’s fair to point to lack of separation but also consider the ability to catch contested passes

Jones also looked great with the Bengals but didn’t see the field much with Green and Sanu on the depth chart. And the Bengals ran the most two TE sets in the league 60% of the time.

He is also getting long in the tooth. Lions had him from ages 26-30. Lions had Tate from ages 24-28. Historically, ages 25-28 are the most productive years for any WR

Golliday is 28 this year but remember he wasn’t great in 2020 with the Lions. He sat on the bench and the general consensus was that he was healthy enough but didn’t want to risk poor play with a nagging hammy injury that might disrupt a payday in free agency

I think the real story here is it looks like the Vikings made a cluster fuck of a hire at GM.

7 Likes