Scary when your GM admits to not believing in Cousins

I never said you were wrong.

fine, it is short-sighted, out of touch in 2022 to say a “non-football guy” “bean counter” “nerd” couldn’t be a good candidate especially when you are not sure what he did in San Francisco and Cleveland. And based on what I do know…and apparently this annoys you…there are several organizations that don’t just have their “Bean counters” in a corner of the complex running numbers and there is a more holistic approach to the process and the ones tabbed for the fast track are more immersed in the day to day runnings of a franchise. Why is that so hard to understand, its not that revolutionary.

Fine, for the record I know several people inside Allen Park, as annoying as that might be for you apparently. I don’t get my information from Jeff, I just am quick to defend Jeff because I know him and he is a good person. I know several ex-players, I mean think about it…if my cousin is an ex lion…isn’t it possible I met people through that connection? I shared because I thought fellow lions fans would enjoy the information and for the record several people over the years have reached out privately. I promise to never share any information with the den ever again.

clearly it is not. if it was you wouldn’t randomly bring up the request that I stop acting like I am tapped into the lions and make sure I understand many people don’t like my friend Jeff and don’t respect him.

But let’s drop is shall we, this is old at this point. :joy:

1 Like

I heard both Marc Spindler and Tom Kowalski say that Millen wanted Harrington….BUT NO ONE ELSE DID & that is why he had that look on his face in the presser after drafting Joey. Marty Morhinweg said on Stk way and Wojo back before DFN crashed that he knew once they drafted Joey his days were numbered, this is the reason he didn’t want to draft him. I think Gary Danielson had a big role in drafting Joey because when he did the Locker room show he talked about how he begged the Lions to draft Joey. But I as a fan wished they had drafted Bryant McKinnie.

4 Likes

Oh now you tell me!

3 Likes

Kwasi, Wood, and Millen, here’s the end of the argument…

When considering whether to hire someone, ask yourself one question - Would I trust this person to pack my parachute? I can give a good, hearty, oh HEEELLLLLLL No! to all three.

I would trust Brad Holmes to pack my parachute. It’s a personality thing for me I guess :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

That’s pretty nasty
Quit acting the child

1 Like

No i saw some of the posts but Wood and GM should never be in the same sentence.
I think you guys do not understand his role.
Some of the comments I read literally make no sense.

1 Like

No, I’m good here. You have your thoughts and opinions and I have mine, that’s what makes the world go round. It would be boring if we all agreed on everything.
And I’m no better than you, I’ll throw out some back handed put downs too. :grinning:

That’s a good analogy. I’ve never had a parachute before but there is something about the Vikings GM that just doesn’t sit well with me… it’s the con artist/Wall Street vibe I think.

All the best to him but he comes off as a person I would never trust or want to deal with. He’s not Holmes. He’s not even Millen. He just kind of comes off as an 80s shark.

Just my opinion and I hope the Vikings crash and burn along with everyone else in the NFC north

2 Likes

I was pretty stoked about it. I see most Seattle games living in Portland. He was the same player for them that he was here. I still recall him winning the Monday night game against Green Bay by tearing away what probably should’ve have been an interception for a last second game winning TD

There’s also stats and production. His yardage went up but almost every other metric was better on a per catch basis his last year in Seattle.

So sure, there was more production being in a pass first offense. But he didn’t suddenly turn into a better receiver

This mythology that Stafford never had great receivers and the receivers we did have were only great because of him is bizarre. Golden Tate was a great receiver and we signed him just as he was entering his prime age years

Burleson was also a really good receiver for us. He had his best years through statistically earlier in his career with Minnesota and Seattle. We signed him when he was 27-28. His prime production years were behind him

3 Likes

Going from a team that threw the ball 400 times to a team that threw it 600 times helped.

1 Like

Amen to that…Especially the Packers!

2 Likes

How do the Lions not have a dammit doll??? Of all the teams we should have a dammit piñata

Amen and God bless Chris Farley

1 Like

100%, I hope they don’t succeed. lol

3 Likes

Lol yes let failure happen to every team in our division!!! Especially those pesky Vikings but especially those damn packers… please completely or even partially fail for a couple years and rebuild like the tigers

2 Likes

I’ve almost turned my TV into a piñata a few times watching the Lions. Here’s a funny Lions memory to share. I used to tape games on VHS in the 90’s to rewatch the games later on. Anyways, the playoff game where Philly destroyed us and Perriman broke his leg. It was a disaster of a game. I’m probably 14 years old at the time and I was a baseball player, you might see where this is headed.

Anyways, after the game ended I took the VHS out of the player, promptly went outside in the middle of January, freezing Canadian winter and beat the hell out of that VHS for about 15 mins with my metal baseball bat and then just left all the pieces in the snow to freeze. I sure felt better. I cleaned them up in the Spring when the snow melted. Thankfully I don’t take the Lions too serious anymore. haha

It was like the scene from Office Space when they destroy the photocopier.

office space GIF

6 Likes

I was at a random dive bar drinking alone a few days ago (It’s a hobby of mine) and a baseball game was on behind me and this older fellow was at a table also alone and he was so animated and angry at every little thing. I forget the team he was cheering for but he was all, ‘dammit!’ this and ‘you fools’ that ■■■■■■■ blah blah blah

this woman sitting two stools over turned to me, nodded at the chap and asked me, ‘so do you get this angry when you watch sports?’

I responded, ‘ma’am. I’m a Lions fan. If I got that angry every time there was a bad play, or something went amiss, I would be the maddest motherfucker on the planet’

5 Likes

It can get confusing, for sure. Thor’s hair gives him no power. Means nothing.
Jack Fox, on the other hand…I’m truly unable to explain. Makes no sense.

3 Likes

Interesting “hobby” actually
Haven’t been to one in forever but they’re more interesting than trendy places.

Must have gained many interesting life stories doing that

It was not a dive bar, but I’ll never forget being at this really cool bar in Berlin in about 1984. The KuDorf. I was speaking with this young German girl (after being in Germany for roughly 3 weeks, I could think in German which was cool). No idea how the topic came up but she said she was ashamed to be German (WW2).
I spent a fair bit of time trying to convince her she had nothing to do with it so should not be ashamed.

Now I’d probably explain that Hitler was a product of the times. When people want the “strong man” democracies are at risk,

Anyway, at an old, and really cool Opera House in Munich I struck up a conversation with a lady before the show — she talked about all the former Nazis who stayed in power after the war and how her parents had been Nazis.

That topic seemed to flow out of a lot of people.
They hate that part of their history— no surprise.

4 Likes

Good stuff man. I love Germany but haven’t made it to Berlin yet

I was thinking of writing a dive bar book. Theyre slowly going extinct here but there’s still a lot of good ones here in Portland. Authentic ones, not the new ones made to look and feel like a dive bar with overpriced drinks and populated by angry insecure neo-hipsters. I mean the real ones with sticky floors, torn carpets, ratty red vinyl bar stools and faint odor of urinal cake.

Old dark smoke-stained walls illuminated by the blueish glow of video poker machines pinging in the corners. and the bartender with skin that looks like weathered tree bark who calls you ‘honey’ in her raspy cigarette voice

People don’t go there to be seen. They go there to not be seen. To anesthetize reality for a few hours

4 Likes

Write your five bar book
The key would be the life stories of the people you talk with.
You’d be hitting on a never discussed segment of society.
Their stories, told the right way, would provide a lot of insight. There are so many broken people out there.
Their stories can be instructive …

2 Likes