Scotch: Like Angels pissing on your tongue

Any other Scotch drinkers here?

For reference my go-to bottles right now are Oban and MacAllan Sienna which may be blasphemy given it’s a NAS bottle but holy shit is it good.

Sorry, I hate Scotch. I do like bourbon though.

2 Likes

INFIDEL!

…and padding this out to 20 characters.

1 Like

LOL…right.
“and padding this out to 20 characters.”
That seems like a clunky feature.

1 Like

Not sure if that’s configurable. Still learning!

Bourbon guy here too. Love it straight. I don’t think I’ve had any great Scotch. It’s like me saying I hated tequila until I tried some real sipping tequila like Patron.

If I had some tasty Scotch I might end up like this guy…

2 Likes

The inherent problem there is that good scotch doesn’t usually come in sample sized bottles.

My preferred bottles are $120 and $160 respectively, Canadian.

What’s your flavor? I’ve gotten into bourbons in the last couple of years. Blantons tops my list. A friend of mine is turning me onto rums now.

I’m a reformed Scotch drinker… far too many “unexplainable” periods of time… still remember the sweet smell… unfortunately that’s all I remember!

I don’t think I have a favorite. In an airport before a flight, Jack on the rocks is fine with me, but at home I do like the more expensive stuff.
Costco has some interesting bourbons lately at a great price.

1 Like

Rum: Sailor Jerry is great. Tastes better (and smoother) than Capt Morgan and has higher alcohol volume :slight_smile:

1 Like

GLENMORANGIE Nectar d’Or and Quinta Ruban. You could woo me w/Macallen however. I will fight you if you plop down a bottle of that peatey iodiney mess Laphroaig anywhere near me.

Irish Whiskey- Jamesons Caskmates or Black, and Rebreast.

Japanese Whiskey- Hear the high end stuff is good. Havent tried.

Rye- Bulleit. I only do Rye in my Manhattans though.

NOTE- A Manhattan made w bourbon is an Old Fashioned w/o the sugar. BLECH.Unacceptable

Bourbon- Clean you toilet w/it.

If you don’t like Laphroaig you should never even sniff Aardbeg. I like a peaty Scotch but even I find Aardbeg barely drinkable.

1 Like

Oban was always my benchmark Scotch. Everything sort of compared to it. Neutral.

Weasel inspired me to post with the peaty, iodine comment. It’s funny how people rave about some of those bottles, I’d be like “who just opened a package of gauze?”

Oban and for a nice treat, Glennmorangie with a Port wood finish.

Haven’t touched the stuff in years, but those became my favorites.

1 Like

Scotch. The GOOD stuff. Indeed, like Angels pissing on your tongue. As stated, any decent bottle will be pricey, in comparison to other fine beverages such as bourbon or Irish. Any Macallan is good, my favorite being 18 year sherry oak, the cost of which only allows a bottle or two a year. I am no snob, as I enjoy decent bourbons and tequilas.

1 Like

Macallan 12 is my go to. Smooth, not to sweet and not too smoky

I will switch up to a JWR or Black now and then though. Or Ardbeg if I want a bonfire in a glass. I also love the Japanese stuff. Hibiki Harmony, and for a relaxing time…

I aways order neat with a side of rocks. Just my cup o’ tea

1 Like

60 Minutes just did a great segment on Scotch. It’s good. Watch it.

Xmas bottle this year is a MacAllan Distillers Edition No. 4. Ridiculously smooth.

Did you see the clip? Canadian dude having his ashes spread on that Island?

The last time I bought my go-to bourbon, the cashier started telling me about the flavor profiles and how this batch has more of the peach cobbler and maple syrup and…

Not to sound unsophisticated, but I’ve been drinking Elijah Craig for 3 years now and I never noticed those flavors. I drink it because I like the flavor enough to drink it neat, and it’s not expensive enough to make me keep a bottle of hooch around in case I want a bourbon and Coke instead.